1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TEXAS BASSISTS UNITE...

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by funkybassplayer, Aug 24, 2007.

1. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    if for no other reason than to network. Where you from, whats your gig, what you playing?

2. Austin (Name) here,
    Wichita falls Texas (North Texas)

fenders Mainly, Jazzez gonna take up some P's too

hardcore, acid rock, jazz, everything really

(and i highly endorse Rotosound strings)

3. LesClaypoolJR

LesClaypoolJR

Jun 16, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    North Richland Hills here.
    Currently looking for a gig, last band broke up...
    I play pretty much everything.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Austin TX

i have three bands running. two of which still need vocalists, and the third i don't start with until october.
    the first is a rock/prog/hip hop/whatever band, the second is an old school riff metal band, and the third is a U2 cover band

just look at my signature for what i'm playing. oh, and i picked up a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz 5 for the metal band.

5. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Dallas,

7-piece show band playing classic rock, R&B, and any request written on the back of a $50 bill...

Also lead a praise band at church in the childrens ministry and lead worship for 2nd - 6th graders every Sunday morning

6. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    Greater Houston Area but more specifically more South/Southeast. Old school speed metal/thrash out of retirement. Transitioning to studio work. Mainly solo right now. Also teaching my kids. I'm on call for one band (80's covers) and get frequent local calls for straight up hard rock jams. Assortment of 4/5 stringers and amps. I'm an unloyal slut but I do like Peavey, Ampeg, Spector, Carvin, Ibanez, etc.

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Houston here. Got an original pop/rock gig that plays once a month, mostly a beer drinking gig. :D Also playing with a funk/party band that is scheduled to start gigging in September. I play keys and/or bass.

8. tswd

tswd

Jun 20, 2007
    Austin, TX

I mainly play rock. I prefer the harder, edgier stuff as long as it's musical and dynamic. I definitely don't want to be in a band that stands and plays while people eat dinner and ignore you.

I play Fender Jazz basses (mainly fretless right now) and have SWR and Ampeg for my amp and cabs.

9. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    South of Houston area (League City)...too old to rock and roll, too young to die. Megapoopieetons of gear. I'd play an single A440 tone for hours if someone would pay me.

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

NW Houston (Spring)

I'm currently playing in a classic rock band (http://www.gorilladanceband.com) and thinking about joining a horn band a friend is starting up

I play mostly G&Ls with skinny necks with the occasional Rumblefish & Steinberger Spirit thrown in for fun

11. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Miami, TX.

I'm currently playing in a band called Joe and the Cuban Cowboys. Lots of fun.

I play an EB/MM Bongo, and an 11-string Conklin.

Ah, just kidding. Don't mess with Texas!

12. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    Longview, TX (NE Texas) here.

no bands right now, some studio playing.

'88 Warwick Thumb NT
    '95 Ibanez TR-505
    NS WAV4
    Ampeg B2-R
    no cab, usually just play through what ever is availiable

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Lubbock here.

No gigs at the moment. Tried to get a King's X tribute band together, but there was always something messing it up.
    Spector Euro 4LX
    Crate BT-350 (one output crapped out:mad: )
    Hartke 2x10
    Ashdown 1X15

Sansamp BDDI

In the process of saving up for an all-tube head, probably a Traynor YBA200 unless I hear a Peavey VB2 first. Looking into Dr Bass cabs to go along with the tube head.

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    About 100 miles down 59 out of Houston.
    New Orleans resident 1960~1989(approx) & band work there (with the same guitarist I'm with now) from the early 70's~89.

Current gig http://www.myspace.com/theguzzlers since August of last year. Originals, covers, and callouts.

Prefer T-Birds(been playing them for over 30 years) BUT they didn't "fit" the sound of the band or have the flexibility of being able to impersonate other basses IMO. Greco LP's fit nicely and a Brice LP was added recently.

Line6 Bass PODXTLive->BOSE PAS with 4 bass bins
    OR
    Line6 Bass PODXTLive->DBX166->QSC's->ACME B2's and/or Avatar 4x10's

15. Austin.
    Several of my bands recently broke up so all I have now is a duo with a really cool keyboard/vocalist (edgy progg rock) and an experimental/fusion recording project.
    Mainly I play my 80's Carvin LB-50Koa basses but there are also several several Peavey, Gibson and other odd basses in the working collection.
    Polytone is my amp of choice but when I need bigger ot's GK or Peavey. Oh yeah I use lots of effects, which rubs most gtr wimps the wrong way so screw them I don't really need them.

16. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Bedroom warrior

Fulltime day job (shiftwork) with worse hours than playing bar gigs.

Playing Fender Jazz's, Ampeg, Tech 21 RBI.

17. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Austin, TX by way of Rochester, NY!

I play with the Bumps a funky cover band, with a few originals thrown in....we play every Thursday at SIX and every Friday at HiLo. I'm playing two czech spectors through an EA Iamp 800 and NL-210. I also play with the Hannah Williams band, she's a local singer songwriter, but we haven't been gigging quite as much lately.

love, peace and hair grease,

dee

18. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Lubbock here. Recently transplanted from Houston for grad school.

Not currently gigging but would like to find something once I get settled. Hopefully time will permit.

Preferential to rock, jazz and odd combinations but open to most types of gigs except hardcore/screamo etc. and country (b/c I find it boring to play, not b/c I don't like it).

Gear listed below.

19. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    I am a Tyler transplant living in Plano now. I have no gig except for playing with myself...on bass, that is.

:meh:

Bo