1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thank you to a fellow TB'er

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vroumo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. vroumo

vroumo

Jul 8, 2010
    Like many of you/us, I visit this forum to learn from some of the gifted folks who are gracious enough to share their knowledge. I feel compelled to publicly thank one of these folks.

Wilser is a very talented individual and I greatly admire his work. I have seen many of his post in this forum and I also visited his website. When it came time for me to try something that I have been a little anxious about (carving a neck from scratch), I found a Youtube video of Wilser performing the task. He did this with a wood rasp and a plane. He clamped the neck to a beam on his bench and methodically shaped the neck. No CNC machine, not even a sander (for rough shaping), just a rasp and a plane.

I was amazed at the simplicity of the process, and most importantly, I had a ringside seat via Youtube to watch how he did it. I felt that I learned enough to give it a shot, and I am happy to report that I have carved 2 necks that I am very pleased with. I will post pictures of my efforts later.

I may have at some point in time figured this out on my own, but to have a respected craftsman like Wilser teach me via Youtube was a great help.

Wilser, THANK YOU for the generous sharing of your talent. It is appreciated more than you realize.

Vroumo

2. vroumo

vroumo

Jul 8, 2010
    Here is the rough carved neck, Mahaogany and Poplar. The next pictue is the same neck sanded , along with a second one I carved. This one is walnut and flame birch. Again, thanks to Wilser for the help.

Attached Files:

3. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Nice work!

4. Gotta +1 on this. I took the leap into building in 2007, largely inspired by Wilser's in-depth build threads. Inspired by countless others here since then. This is a great little community we've got here.

5. Very MMish head stock. I dig it:bassist:

6. vroumo

vroumo

Jul 8, 2010
    Thank you for the compliments. Again, guys like Wilser make this easier for the rest of us. In time, I hope that I can provide the same assistance/inspiration to someone else.

To Lowactsatsfctn, it kinda looks like a MM because I used my MM clone to make the template. I am planning on using a 2+2 tuner config, so, it won't look like a MM copy. I have bodies cut (1 mahogany top and poplar back, and the other walnut with poplar) for these necks, and I want to chronicle the builds on this forum. One of the things I like about TB is the feedback builders receive as they move thru the process. I am looking forward to what you guys think. Thanks

7. Sub'd

I bet this will turn out cool. If I ever have a custom Bass built, it would most likely be a Sterling copy with Teak and Ovangkol

8. Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad my rants and hacks have been useful to some and hope I can rejoin the ranks in the not-so-distant future. Carve on!

9. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Will, I second the motion on your posts and vids, lots of great stuff and I've learned a lot from you my friend!

Lonnybass

10. vroumo

vroumo

Jul 8, 2010
    Wilser,

We all look forward to seeing more from you. Guys like me need all the help we can get!

Vroumo