Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

That Kanye Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Worshiper, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I just saw the making the video for "heard 'em say" by Kanye West. Personally, Ifeel he is a hypocrite...but that's another thread. I really loved the sound of the bass in the song though. Does anyone know what it was recorded with. maybee it's a pedel or something. Same kind of sound as the bass (well technically it's keyboard) in "such great heights" by the postal service. I love that sound and I want to try to achieve it.

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    What song is that? Is that the one they used in the Boost Mobile commercial with Ludacris and some other people?

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Kayne who??? I don't see myself listening to his crap, regardless of tonal quality...

- georgestrings

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I'mnot familiar with that commercial, but it's actually a pretty good song. No matter what my opinion of Kanye West as a person, I find myself having to respect him for this one and Jesus walks.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    The guy asked a tone question, and you bashed the artist. Good job.... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I just found the song you're talkin about and it's not the one I was thinking. That tone sounds REALLY fat and maybe a little overdriven to me. Interesting sound though for sure. You should check out a song called "The Whole City's Behind Us" if you like Kanye stuff, there's a sweet bassline in that song too... :bassist:

6. Nice to see you have an open mind towards other genres of music. I'm no Kanye West fan but I dont dismiss his music as crap. How would you like it if people dismissed your creative output with the same offhand attitude? :rollno:

Music teacher style rant off. ;)

7. I read an article about randy Jackson, and he was asked about recording w/ Kanye, his reply was very interesting.
    Apparently kanye does not use bass players and frequently other musicians to record. He spends his recording time w/ a sampler and computer. According to Randys interview Kanye collects 100's of sampled recordings and uses samples instead of instruments for his productions. Randy was asked to overdub a bass line in one of Mariah careys song when mariah felt it didn't vibe, but they left the kanye sampled lin in there as well.
    I thought it was interesting, now live might be another story

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This was a worthwhile post. He asked about tone, and even though you had NOTHING to contribute, you gave it freely.

9. It is a cool bass sound for sure. It sounds to me like an analog mono synth (whether sampled or the real thing). You can hear the synth-y attack clearly on certain notes, especially in between the vesrse and chorus. If I wanted to approximate that sound with a bass guitar I'd use the bridge pickup and possible a mild bass fuzz or something. I don't own one anymore unfortunately but the DigiTech Bass Synth Wah gets sounds kind of like that as well.

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm 94.97% sure that Kanye used a microKorg for that bassline...

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's 99.9% of DJ's and emcees out there, no?

12. Hey vision do you have experience with the microKorg? It is praised on one of the vintage synth sites. I've often thought about adding synth bass to my arsenal as my band covers Stevie Wonder and a Quincy Jones produced Michael Jackson tune. At home I use a midi controller into a software synth/sampler but don't feel comfortable using that whole setup at a gig or even a rehearsal.

13. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've used the microKorg, but I don't own it. It sounds great, and its very versatile...esp for synth bass or lead synths. I just can't vibe with the small keys (I have big hands!)

14. +1

It's not actually a bass guitar, but I'd imagine if you wanted to get as close as possible, try a Precision, maybe a bit of overdrive, absolutely no boost on the tone pot and maybe some heavy flats.

15. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Yes..to answer the question, I am absolutely trying to get that sound. I thought it was a synthetic sound. I just want to make the same sound. I want to be able to acess it with as little transition as possible from my "standard sound." I'll play arounf with my Bongo (lot's of versitility). Can anyone point me towards the direction of a pedal that will most assuredly aid in the production of that sound?

16. A good envelope filter, and some compression, I'd guess.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    FWIW, he's gone on record as admitting that he feels he is too.

18. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hypocrite, human... same thing ;)

19. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Who, Kanye?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000