1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

That pedal you cant kick off your board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keatz, Mar 13, 2018.

1. keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    You know that pedal that you are extremely happy with, but for some ridiculous reason you still keep searching for something better to replace it with anyway? You try other effects but by the next week its back on there.
    Mine is my vt bass deluxe. No other pedal does my toneshaping and light/medium OD quite like it for my taste.(but theres still PLENTY to try haha)

So what's yours?

*excludes utility pedals you wouldn't even bother thinking about switching out ie. My Cali76 compact bass*
    gregmon79 and TrevorR like this.
  2. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Freakin’ Tone Hammer DI. I want something newer and more hip, but the damn thing just does what I want it to do with so little fuss.
  3. GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    My Strymon Mobius. It's large and power hungry and I don't really like the Strymon large box UI very much. It's my main modulation unit and it's fantastic in that role. It's Vintage Trem, Rotary and Chorus are first class. I think that I'm not a big flanger and phaser effects, but they are there if I need them. The Filter is ok, but the H9's low pass offerings are better. The other options don't really appeal to me and I would happily choose a smaller box if I could have the 4 core effects that I like in a smaller offering.
    My H9 is just fantastic, it's SO versatile and it excels at nearly everything. Although it's modulation isn't as good as the the Strymon Mobius.
    I really like my Source Audio Aftershock, it's amazing at overdrive sims. I'm just finding the pure fuzz options not so convincing. Trying to find a good saw tooth fuzz is hard work. It's easier to find a dedicated until for that role.
    saltydude likes this.
  4. mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    these days its the sansamp bdi v2
    Jewce likes this.
  5. Can I have two? :smug:

Darkglass Vintage MicroTubes, and my 3Leaf GR2.

I'd probably cry if you took away my other forty six billion pedals, but nowhere near as hard as if you took away my VMT and GR2 :bawl:
    I loves those pedals drool
  6. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    tampa, fl
    My phase 90. It's my longest lasting (apx 8yrs) pedal I own. I've bought several other phasers but the phase 90 is still on my board.
    zapped777, br1qbat and BurningSkies like this.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Our keyboard player had a DOA Phase 90 that he handed to me asking if I could look at it. I got it up and running and it ended up with our guitar player who uses it often in our sets. Great sounding and feeling phase pedal.

...In a karmic turn, I lent the same keys player my Dan-Echo, which for all purposes is a way nicer delay than it should be...still haven't gotten that back. ;)
    wmmj and rjovin like this.
  8. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Sansamp VT Bass DI
    TrevorR likes this.
  9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    ZVex Distortron.
    One of my first bass pedal purchases and despite me trying to replace it, nothing does exactly what it does. Others have come and gone, but the Distortron always stays. Great high gain grind that sounds really organic.
    gregmon79 and PullThePlug like this.
  10. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    Radial Bassbone V2. Ain't going nowhere.
  11. Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    I really like my $20 Chinese volume pedal.
    MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  12. Tuner, a cheap one, with a huge display I can see without glasses, other than that I can go completely without, bass to tuner to SVT to sound. :)

That being said, I rarely do that...
  13. AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    VT Bass
    Spectre1966 likes this.
  14. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Tone Hammer. I keep trying others to replace it, but it's still hanging around. It even beat out my trusty, dusty Rusty Box.
    Mr. voodoobass likes this.
  15. Damnation Audio MBD-1
    cataract likes this.
  16. PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    I'm like this with my Zvex Basstortion. It works great. I love to A/B it with my friends' dirt pedals, because it always sounds "better" to me. I want to grab a Distortron and A/B them myself. I wonder how two in a chain with low gain settings would be...

Thanks for the GAS :bassist:
    zapped777 and P-oddz like this.
  17. Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Blower Box
  18. electrichead

Nov 29, 2013
    An ugly brown late 80's/early 90's DOD bass stereo chorus that I bought new with allowance money. I have accumulated hundreds of dollars worth of other chorus pedals in the high end and boutique range but nothing can touch that little brown brick.
    Novarocker and kleinenenten like this.
  19. Tuner
  20. smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    After my Boss TU-2 it would be my EHX Bass Clone