1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The 215 Mains Club!!!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jul 11, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi friends!

Yes, I know there are several members who know what P.A. gear is "the best". They have expensive gear and are competent sound guys. My hat's off to you. I also know there are real, blue collar, working musicians out there who appreciate gear that may not be on the "elite" list but you still make it sound great and rock the house! These guys use what fits in their budget, fits for the gig, and make it sound good! They bring their gear, their hearts, their souls, they use what fits the situation, and they always leave the audience screaming for more! I want to hear from you!

(Please note: I'm not looking for validation. I need none. I have nothing to prove. My ears are just as big as the next guy's, if not bigger. I'm not trying to compensate for anything. I just want to share the 215 mains love!)

If you use a pair, or more, of 215 mains (any make/model) I'd like to hear from you. I'd also like to see your gear in action. Please tell us what amps, monitors, mixers, subs (if any), ...heck, even what cables, mics, and extension cords you are using. I'd love to hear about it all. I know you make it sound great!

Here is my rig. It's a pair of Carvin LS2153, three way mains. They sounded better than anything within my budget.

cliffs-pa1a_zpsc98958c0.

I use my 215 mains with a Carvin XP1000L powered mixer. We're talking three 400 watt class D amps. That's 400w for the left side, 400w for the right side, and 400w for the monitors (at 4 ohms).

For monitors I have four 16ohm Fender two-way 12" wedges. No one has ever complained about not being able to hear themselves. With four 16ohm wedges, the total load is 4 ohms, which is just what the monitor amp wants to see. My rig is easy to set up and run from the stage. Sure, there's only one monitor mix but that's all you need for some gigs, right? A bass players dream!

BAckRoad-091513-004_zps6a2b7e9e.

BAckRoad-091513-003_zps65148c88.

BAckRoad-091513-001_zps39e685f0.

No, my rig won't fill a stadium, but no one has ever complained about not being able to hear us either. I use my P.A. where appropriate. It's easy to haul and I have a quick set up. You can't ask for much more for a working musician.

Recently I combined my P.A. with another (Jack's, Kelly's husband) P.A. to make a system that was able to accommodate about 1000 guests at a recent outdoor concert at an Orange County golf club.

poJu8Bw2bFcXgL2_oFf_kI-O8Ob0xcBCF2RimjfodQw=w800-h600-no.

KRB-TustinRanchGolf-061914-A26.

Almost 90% of the time my band plays gigs where the P.A. is provided by either the venue or the promoters/producers. So my rig sees use only on our smaller gigs. And we make it ROCK!

So, there ya go. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

All you gear snobs can take a flyin' leap because my P.A. gets the job done and works for all its intended purposes. It's easy to set up, easy to load and haul around, works for small-medium sized gigs, and it sounds good enough to get the place hoppin'!! I tell you WHAT!!!

So, who else uses 215 mains? Let's share the love!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Count me in.

[​IMG]

This picture is outdated, as I have upgraded our board, and gotten rid of the CD player. I've also added a couple more effects units.

BassCliff likes this.
  3. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    51e9c42f45098image.

Me three!

peavey 215D, IPR 300, CS400, Unity 2002
    DBX266XL
    old large Tapco graphic, dont remember the model

gone is the douchebag sax player, and his dorky band name

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    BassCliff likes this.
  4. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, that should be just about all of you.

Kidding, of course! If you like 'em, rock 'em!!

modulusman likes this.
  5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Maybe you should change the name of the thread to the "Talkbass boat anchors club"lol. Here is a link to the carvin owners manual for your speakers. http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/76-15230D-LS-SPKRS.pdf Read the part about optimal performance and then read it again. From your pictures and your post you are doing at least 50% of it wrong.

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Use what ya got !
    But that doesn't mean better gear doesn't do the job better, that you aren't blue collar, or you are a snob if you use it.

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

These days I'm a practice room legend so no action pics to be had. Still, I rock 2 15's. I prefer the sound. Always have, always will.
    7257083874_0e2f38f8be_o. Ignore the git fiddles :) This is just the best shot I have accessible of the amp n cab from work.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Indeed, I'm sure this will be an exclusive club. ;)

BassCliff

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It's always a pleasure to hear from you, Mr. modulusman. Your friendly, informative posts are always full of warmth and humility.

BassCliff

Moosehead1966 and dannnnn like this.
  10. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    You're Welcome! Just doing my civic duty to keep young impressionable minds from making the same PA mistakes you did. They see all your posts and pictures of good gigs with your band and get the impression that you actually know what you are doing when it comes to PA and sound reinforcement.:D

Attached Files:

11. we only rock a pair of 1 x15's srm450's so i guess i'd have to go get a thread of my own :-(
    two thumps for monitors which are too big really.....

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Nope, I never implied that I was an expert. I have always explained clearly the gear choices and compromises that I've made. You just choose to ignore my needs and purposes and assume everyone who doesn't have your gear sounds sucky. Let me assure you that's not true.

I know good gear. But I neither want to spend the money, nor do I need that kind of gear. Please try to understand. Some musicians are so talented that they need only be musicians. They have professional sound companies doing the sound work. My PA is not the reason I get good gigs. I get good gigs because my band is good. When the band is good enough they really don't need a big, expensive PA. You let someone else do that part so you can just be a musician.

BassCliff

13. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Mackie 450s have a 12 inch woofer.

slavetothegrind likes this.
  14. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well you may not like the messenger but you should listen to the messages. In the pictures where you are using just your 215s the speaker height looks to be maybe 5 ft. Way to low unless this is one of your Disney gigs and it is a party for the 7 dwarfs. In the pictures where you are using 2 PAs together instead of running a cable from the Mackie mixer into a channel on your carvin you should come from the Mackie Left and right mixer out into the power amp inputs on your Carvin this way you are able to access all the available watts. By plugging into a channel you are wasting power and headroom.

BassCliff likes this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    BAHAHAHA...okay, enough of that. We use the lesser LS1503 but jack the things so the enclosure base is a good 6' from the floor. As I understand it, blasting away at ear or chest level is less than desirable. I find the altitude helps not only in outdoor applications but in weirdly shaped rooms which would otherwise compromise coverage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that we should be slaving the Carvin's power amp, bypassing the mic channels, etc.

Riis

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  16. you are correct i apologise, it's a different club altogether i belong to....the ignorant! :)

we are aspiring to a umix device and an active sub though! And i have a plan to build some BFM designs in the near future!

17. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Right, if you notice in his pictures they are running a mic cable into channel one of his carvin. BY doing that his output to the carvin speakers is being limited by the channel one fader and the input gain knob and master volume knob.

18. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. moduldusman,

I do believe this is the most informative post I've ever seen from you in the short 2+ years that I've been here. I appreciate your suggestions and reminders. Thank you.

That particular gig where my speakers are on the stage, you may have noticed that the audience was sitting and eating in the tent about 20-25ft in front of the band. There were maybe 100 people at that benefit. They could hear us just fine. I do have stands to get the tops of the speakers up a little above head height when necessary. Again, it works for its intended purpose.

Unfortunately my little powered mixer doesn't have inputs to the power amp sections. Those Main L-R jacks are outputs. That's why we had to use a channel line input. It's not perfect but it works. But maybe next time we'll go the other way if the Mackie has stereo inputs to its power amp section. I also liked your other suggestion to use the Mackie system for the vocals and the Carvin system for the instruments. There are a few ways to go with this situation to see which works the best. But we'll use this setup only a couple of times a year. The sound company is almost always provided for us.

I hope your gigs went well this weekend. Break a leg!

BassCliff

19. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    You are right it doesn't. The Mackie mixer does though. So use your Carvin as the main mixer and run out to the Mackie instead.

20. A homemade set of subs and mid/high cabs needn't take much more transporting or setting up, but give vastly better sound than 15 + horn dinosaurs.