Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The B Band Statement and Electret Film Pick ups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Dec 14, 2005.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Well after reading Jonas' discription of his new PUP ...same pick up material as B Band
    I realized that the B Band is NOT a film piezo like the Pick Up the World but a different converter all together. B Band has graciously agreed to send me a statement for review here and I am intrested in how it stacks up to the assortment of pups I have on hand now (Realist, PUTW, Revoluton, Vektor, Underwood, Full Circle) and my memory of all the others...
    Has anyone out there any experience with this system? it seems under reviewed here and about.
    The idea and science seem at least interesting, and looking at the system it seems well built and thought out, and it looks like there are all the right features on the mixer.

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I think Bass Player magazine did a gear review of the B Band some time ago. It's the only place I've ever seen it to be honest.

But I've never been really impressed with BP's ability to evaluate DB gear. I guess we'll just have to wait for your review!

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Bolo,
    You're right on the money here. Bass Player has never, to my knowledge, had a Double Bassist on staff who actually reviews gear! They did a review of the B Band and it was a favorable review as I remember, but these days their product reviews sound like "dime romance novels" with phrases like "the smooth steel chassis looks like the hot body of my 56 Corvette Stingray." They sound like the were ripped from the pages of Micky Spillane. Plus, there's the thing about them giving preffered treatment to their
    advertizers. No hard evidence of that, but it sure looks like that's what they are doing.

Ric :D

4. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    agreed with you on BP. I bought a set From Mr B-b to try
    out. and liked it...to my surprise.
    The pick-ups have less coloration than some others I owned
    such as the KK, underwood, and feed back- less.
    I have them on my King with Golden spirals, & Juzek with
    Vikes. They sound more like the bass- es than the usual pickup's own sound ( plus the instrument) if that make
    sense.
    Am using a Walkabout with EA v110 or V208 cab.

the other feature is where you can blend the bridge & body pu's is nice too- you work them so they can sound more
    like your bass.

The drawback for me: I had to take them to my repair lady
    to mount. They need some some small shims under the feet
    of the bridge for spacing. She had to take the bridge off and the cut & mount shims on the bass. A little bit of labor involved. (Bass House in Oakland CA)
    but I'm happy with them for most part.
    And they sound ok with a bow too.

5. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

Oct 24, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi Guys,

I reviewed the B-Band Statement for Bass Player (January ’02). I can take my lumps, especially when it comes to my playing—and writing—chops, but I have to take issue with a few of these words.

I used the B-Band Statement extensively during months of gigs around San Francisco and based my review on real-world playing situations. I also happen to play upright bass (almost exclusively) and as a result, I'm the guy on staff who tests all of our upright bass-related products (like the B-Band or the Fishman Full Circle). What I wrote about the Statement was sincere. I liked that unit's sound and flexibilty so much that I bought it after my test was complete. And, I mourned its loss when it, and my bass, were stolen while on my way to a gig.

While I certainly sympathize with your cynicism regarding the incursion of advertising in all areas of our lives, I can assure you that each member of Bass Player's staff (editorial and advertising) realizes that without integrity, we have nothing to hang our hat on. You might be surprised to know that many of our advertisers prefer to be seen in a publication that is serious about crediblity. Yes, of course, we have ads in the magazine and they often coincide with what we, as editors, have decided the content of the magazine should be for the given month. It’s simple, we’re all bass fanatics here and we want to get our hands on the newest, coolest gear, and test it as soon as possible. At the same time, manufacturers are excited about their new products and they want to tell you about them—in their ads. They also know when we’re testing a product because they sent it in at our request.

The internet is an easy place to disseminate opinions without the burden of credibility. Still, without hard evidence, you just have conjecture.

Best wishes,
    Greg Olwell
    Managing Editor
    Bass Player

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for clearing things up, and the honest evaluation
    of the B-Band.
    I still agree with others who feel Bass Player mag does
    some "interesting" things concerning advertisers.
    Most of the time now, it seems the feature articals
    coincide with heavy advertising by the companies who
    sponsor them. I thought it was interesting how you guys did
    a major story on Brian Bromberg, without any mention
    of his MANY different basses made by Dean guitars. Dean
    didn't have big advertisment in that issue, so there was no mention
    of Brombergs instruments in that issue. Its not often, (if ever)
    that you guys don't list the gear of the guys you interview.
    I hope you can understand why some people might think that
    reviews are tied in with advertising.
    Oh by the way....... Great magazine! I like it a lot. I buy it.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Oops. Fellas, I apologize for starting the cynical slant in this thread, esp. to Greg.

I've subscribed to BP for ... I dunno ... 4 years or so I think. And I don't plan to cancel anytime either. I still enjoy the magazine.

Sometimes though the descriptive adjectives in the gear reviews just all start to kinda sound the same, I guess. So I made a generalization here without rereading the article first. I should have checked the actual article in question before I posted. I can check it because I still have all the back issues stacked in the closet.

Well I do appreciate the hard work on the magazine from the whole staff, and will continue to read it.

Perhaps not as cynically anymore.

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Yea, you never know who's reading your posts....
    What was his review anyway or the date of the mag?

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Oh yeah. I definitely should have reread the original article before making my first post in this thread.

Greg Olwell's review of the B-BAND Statement pickup appears in the January 2002 issue of Bass Player.

Okay ... It actually says "Sounds like an upright, only louder." In the tone category I counted one use of the word "warm" and one "natural."

Seriously though ... This BP article is very thorough and well written. Greg gave the B-BAND a BP Editor's Award for "Top Tone." It is a very positive review of the product. Greg definitely knows lots about playing and gigging on upright, much more than me, and it shows in this article.