1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bass I never owned.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Rathead123, Mar 19, 2009.

1. This is the story of a 70's Fender p, I borrowed from My neighbor.
    The year is 1975, Im 13, my neighbor Steve lets me borrow a Fender bass he owns. I have a cheap "Royce" shortscale, he feels sorry for me, lets me use his. I play with friends, a couple bands, it serves me well.
    The year is 1979, Im 17, play bass in high school band, and several bands with friends. Im still playing the " borrowed P". Yep 4 years, 17 no money, after buying G.T.O.(1969) that I should have kept.
    One day at Steves, my other neighbor Bill wants to borrow bass, says he wants to learn. Steve asks, (his bass anyway), if its ok for Bill to use it for a week. Figures he will mess with it, get tired of it and bring it back.
    2 hours later, Im at my best friends house, Alan, who also plays. He says, look what I bought from Mark. He brings out a Fender case , opens it, and guess what? It is Steves "P" bass. I asked 'where did you get this"? He said , "Mark who bought it from Bill, for $75 bucks". I gave him $150 for it, says Alan.
    I call Steve, who confronts Bill, who admits all. Steve dosent ask for it back, but makes Bill pay him (over time) the cost to replace it new. So Bill came out really bad on this deal.
    3 hours have elapsed. Alan says "well, Im not gonna play it, I dont like it, I only bought it cause I got a good deal". He askes, you wanna use it? Heck yea, Ive played it 4 years. So I leave with it.
    I used it untill I quit playing, in 1987. I take it back to Alan with a thank you.
    So in 12 years, I played a bass I didnt own, Alan wouldnt sell it to me. He said play it, but bring it back when you are done, I did.
    It went through a couple hands yet was only gone 3hours!!!
    Ive since started back, 2005 to be exact, and have my own basses now.
    Last I heared, Alan still has it, but will not sell!!.
    (Names have been changed to protect the parties involved.)

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    That's a great story. Got any pics or recordings of it?

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Alan sold it to me - sorry.

4. No I dont. I only have a pic of myself with the 'Royce". You know back then we didnt take time to photograph stuff like we do now.

5. no Alan sold it to me! pic:
    [​IMG]
    :bag::bag::bag::bag:

6. No, it was a natural finish, maple board.:)
    And I heared from a couple people, Alan has disassembled it, placed the parts in boxes, and has hid the boxes all over his house and garage. Did I mention Alan was strange?:meh:
    All because, in the last 15 years, people have asked to buy it. So thats what he did to get everyone to quit asking about it!