1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The best bass head for $800 or under

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afrodillyb, May 8, 2010.

1. afrodillyb

afrodillyb

May 8, 2010
    I have an Ampeg SVT810AV Anniversary Bass Cabinet but I need to find the perfect head for it. Since I am a dirt poor college student, I do not have enough money to buy an expensive head and I am not sure what kind of head will give me a great vintage tube like sound for that price. If there is any tube amps for that price, I would like to know about the as well :)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Traynor and Peavey are the only "budget" tube amps I know of. Otherwise, there's way too much out there for a blanket recomendation.

3. orange bass terror. also, I'll sell you the tube amp in my sig for $800, shipped. :ninja:

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    VB-2, cannt beat it for the price

5. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    LOL. If you've got $800 to spend you're not a "dirt poor college student" (been there, done that). :)

6. afrodillyb

afrodillyb

May 8, 2010
    Well the head I want is 1700 :/ but I will never make that money with the job I have now.
    Thanks for all the help! I will look into every single head that was posted.

7. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Carvin B1500. Power to spare and awesome tone.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I just got a new in box 5 year warrenty VB-2 for $499.00 I watched that Orange on eBay for a while & was saving for it when I found the Peavey

9. wow. Killer deal. Care to PM the info? No wonder my alpha bass isn't selling.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    forget tube or not tube find out what you like by listening. I hear the carvin 1500 is quite good and loud. also dont be afraid to look into used. lots of buying and selling here all the time as we are a fickle bunch.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    +1 on the Peavey VB-2

Mesa Walkabout?
    Ibanez Promethean?
    TC Classic 450?
    used Eden?

12. +1 to listening to amp heads. Spent too many years as a tube snob. Try out a G-K 700RB II.

13. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I'd suggest Genz Benz or Mesa as well... great tones, and used ones are definitely in the ballpark of your price range. Also, the 700RB-II is a sweet amp and you can usually pick one up in the classifieds for around $400. Arguably one of the best values out there.

14. That's what I use, and I have absolutely no complaints, as a poor college student :)

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Markbass LMTube. Currently having a tough time finding any faults with this amp.

TC Classic 450 is another candidate, though more on the "vintage" tip for tone.

16. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I agree, $800 is not all that bad. I have tubes. I suggest you save your dough and wait until you get up to $1800. I like the Fenders such as the TB1200 and the full tube bassman 300

17. Jaguar

Jaguar

Nov 19, 2006
    USA
    Peavey VB-2

18. I use a Carvin BX1200 through an 8x10 and it sounds awesome. I use an analogman modded Ibanez TS9DX for some grit when I need it.

19. The used market is definitely the best place and probably the only place you can go for a really good tube head in that price range.

However, as others have stated before me, you shouldn't force yourself to be restricted to only tube amps. GK is definitely a solid state manufacturer to look in to. Any of their artist series you should definitely give a try: 800rb, 700rb-II, or if you want more headroom, which I assume might be a factor since you have that fridge at your beckon, the 1001rb-II. Guitar centers always have these guys on the floor for you to play. If you do a bit of research on them you'll see that they are highly praised around here. Also, there are discontinued GK models you might want to give a try, such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gallien-Krueger...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06db94a7. Although this amp was discontinued because of heating issues (and also GK revamped their bi-amp system, so the 2001 came out as a result), you can send the amp in to their factory and they'll install a second fan for free which will set you good to go (but only if this one doesn't have it done already, you'd have to ask the seller). A lot of people, heating issues aside, have had high praise for this amp and a lot say that it's the best sounding GK, next to the 800rb. I recently bought one of these myself and have been very pleased. You could probably talk the guy down a hundred bucks or so. That's just my two cents:bassist: