The best cheap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave84, May 18, 2022.

1. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Obviously today there are many models with an incredible quality / price ratio but of all the (very) cheap basses that I happened to try this is certainly the best. I paid 89 euros as soon as it came out and yet it has always given me great satisfaction. Here I play it with the original strings. And for you what is the best cheap bass you have ever tried from the 100/200 euro price range?

2. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I have a few HBs and they ARE a great value. Let me start off by saying that there reeally is no absolute "best" <insert adjective> bass because what's good to one player is not the preference of another due to feel, and other things... different strokes for different folks.

I can't do a direct comparison because most of my SXes were bought prior to the current price jump AND none of my SXes were active whereas some of my HBs are, but, of all the basses I own, I consider my SXes the best value.

So all I can do is say, HBs and SXes are/were great values! :thumbsup:

tindrum, C Stone, NOVAX and 1 other person like this.
  3. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Certainly, in fact I have specified that there are now many economic models of excellent workmanship and sound. In general, I think Harley Benton on the very low budget range is now the reference brand!​

Vinny_G and B-Mac like this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Hard to beat that one or these two.
    [​IMG]

EatS1stBassist and B-Mac like this.
  5. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Personally, I think it's hard to beat the Sterling Sub series basses. I have an American Ray, but the Sub is much too close in quality considering it costs 1/5 as much as the American.

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    my 2 best are a P and Bird, neither Fender nor Gibson, and were dirt cheap used, if the HB T beats their P in tone/s like mine does then that would be impressive. but in playability & feel too?

Iristone likes this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

The best cheap bass?
    "it depends," right?

i've looked at the cheapies as platforms since very few of them come as fretless axes and even those that do have limited options for the fretless player. but i've only heard/read good things about the HB instruments as they always seem to get positive reviews, especially in the bang-for-buck category.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Squier.

9. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Can’t go wrong with a Classic Vibe. Especially if you’ve got a lil extra dough and know how for some small upgrades.

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Bacchus BJB1RSM.

Has same level of build quality to Yamaha TRBX 504 and Fender Performers J.
    Awesome factory fretwork and rock steady roasted maple neck.
    A bit thicker neck profile compare to Fender slim J neck which great for me who prefer P neck.

zapped777 likes this.
  11. Without question , for me , it's the Harley Benton PB-50.

Bought brand new for £76 , that was over 8 years ago. I don't view it as a "cheap bass" , more it's a "very affordable" bass. It has 1000's of hours on it , never needed to adjust the neck , bridge/tuners still stock. Pots/cap/jack socket - still stock , as are the strap buttons and nut.

12. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I’d say Yamaha makes excellent low cost basses.
    My trbx174ew with mango wood top look great plays great and sounds as it should.
    The only thing I changed were the plastic control knobs to something nicer.

13. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I have 10 basses, the cheapest by a long shot is an Ibanez 305. The fit/finish and fretwork is better than anything in it's price range IMO.

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    "cheap" is a relative term. If cheap means inexpensive, then my early 2000s MIM Fretless Fender jazz was $299. That's an excellent bass for the money. My 1992 MIJ 50s P bass (PB57) was under 7 bills out the door when I bought it last year. That's a good bass for the money. My 2019 Geddy Lee (MIM) was under 7 bills. Again, great bass for the money.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The one with a straight neck that you like the feel of.

16. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    LizardVille
    CV with 50 bucks in Pots and Bridge…

I don’t think inexpensive is a bad thing at the moment. No one seems to be working or wants to work and Indonesia is kicking out lots of stuff. C17A2458-9162-4691-88E4-178CD05BE600.jpeg

17. GeorgesEric

GeorgesEric

Mar 24, 2021
    Gretsh G2220 Junior Bass II.

oldandbold likes this.
  18. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Its not a value if you have to spend more on "upgrades"

Dust2Dust likes this.
  19. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Yawn OK

20. Any cheap bass, in fact, the cheaper the better. If the body is usable it can be built up to be something custom and affordable.