The "Chicken Head"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I call it the "chicken head" because of the knobs- an unfortunate contact cleaner accident completely dissolved the knobs a few years ago...

This amp was made probably prior to 1988- as the Guitar World buyers guide for 1988 has the 400x400. This particular one has been modded to hell (before I got it). Supposedly it's set up to run 600w into 2 ohms mono.

You can see where it's had the biamp and master volumes removed from it.

From the back you'll see the very hot DI, and the outputs- and yes, it came with banana jacks out.

This is where things get scary. Look at the size of that transformer. It's frickin' massive. The amp weighs around 36 pounds, if I remember right. Most of it is in that transformer. Notice the 6" fan at the far end. Depending on which way the on/off switch is toggled, it'll either draw air out or force air into the amp. When the cover is on there is a slot above the fins that air passes through, and most of the fins are covered- about half an inch of fins show. That fan moves massive amounts of air.

I've owned this amp for around 10 years or so, and I have another one that's much more "stock" than this one. The other one will run 600w up to 2.67 ohms bridged, or 300w per channel dual mono or biamped.

They're really cool heads, I got both of mine really cheap, and I'd imagine they're some of the first really high power solid state bass amps.
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Awesome, i've never seen one before.

What do they sound like tone wise?
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Reminds me a lot of my first car ... a '47 Plymouth. The sheet metal on that thing was an eighth of an inch thich.