The Combo Amp Decision...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TxBass, Jun 20, 2004.

1. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Your experiences with different combo options in order to help my future purchase...

I'm in the process of moving and have unloaded my Fender Bassman 100. It has served me very well, but it was easier to sell it to my church and leave it in place rather than to leave them with nothing for the other bass players(plus it gives me a chance to try something different :) )

My needs: at least 100 watts---to serve as practice amp and small venue stuff. Not particular whether it's 10s or a 15. Price somewhere in the $400 to $500 range. New or used options are ok.

My current list includes---not in any particular order:
    Ashdown MAG 210
    Yorkville XM200
    Ampeg BA115

Any thoughts on those or other options and experiences with specific ones. Thanks!! :)
  2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'd get a GK 400RB 210 combo.
  3. philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    I'd go with the ampeg ba115
  4. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    i have only great things to say about the BA115, I think it is the best sounding combo for the price but that is really subjective.

I've used it for practices and shows against a 4x12" half stack, a 2x15" half stack, and a heavy drummer. (the two half stacks were at seperate times not together.)

I've also used it for pit orchestra.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't have much combo experience, but I'll offer some points to consider...

Hopefully avoiding the loudness of tube watts vs. solid state watts debate, I suspect that you'll want more than 100 solid state watts depending on whether the Bassman 100 was loud enough for you or not.

Using a 5 string, you'll probably want more speaker than a single 10. A 2x10, maybe a 1x12 or a 1x15 combo would probably be better for you.

Good luck!
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    For a more nearly vintage sound: Ampeg B100R.

For a more modern sound: SWR WM12.
  7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    thanks for the input so far...good stuff! For me, the Bassman 100 has been almost ok for volume, but there have been times when I did wish it had just a little more---like when practicing with two guitarists and a loud drummer :D

anybody else? I've read/heard that the Yorkville XM200 is a very loud combo...and I've not messed with an Ashdown either...
  8. i've played through an xm200 combo and it speaks very clearly and works very well. As far as sound, it was a BOUND from my TKO 65 as far as ease of dialing a tone. I remember i would have to sit and just pluck the E string with a pick while turning knobs from the peavey to get a tone that was my own. no BS with the xm200. I have yet to actually go back to the story and test it's true volume, but if it works out, I'm going to see about getting that and an extention cabinet so i have a stack.