Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the conklin GT-7 thread!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cods, Oct 26, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    even though i have only about half of the amount saved up, and i haven't played one yet, i want to know as much about the gt-7 as i can.

the gt-7, so far, is my choice for my next bass, and until i can play one, i have to make this decision based on opinions. i have searched through the forum, but i haven't found all of the info on them i need.

so, a few questions:

how is the low b on it?

what does the neck feel like? big? little? what?

is it a fast neck?

what is it's "sound"? music mans are really bright and crunchy, warwicks their signature "growl", what kind of sound does the gt-7 have?

what kind of pick-ups does it have? are they humbuckers or jazzes?

what do you like best about your gt-7?

what do you hate most about it?

do you have a problem with it only having a bass and treble e.q. pot?

don't forget, pictures never hurt!!!

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    also:

how high quality is this bass? what kind of bass could you compare it's quality to?

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    The GT-7 basses are quality basses for the price.
    IMHO a real bargain. I have had mine for several years and have had no problems with the craftsmanship or the electronics. Low action and great sound. The neck looks intimidating but as soon as I started playing it, I found the neck to be extremely comfortable. Sound wise, I would say bright, punchy and a good amount of growl. I can achive a nice range of tones due to the active Bartolini pickups.
    The only thing I could say thats a little bit of a problem is that it is a little heavy, but what do you expect for a 7-string bass.
    It's not extremely heavy but a little heavier than a standard 4-string.
    The B-string is better than most if not the best to what I have played which includes Warwicks and Pedullas. I can't compare to it to a Roscoe since I have not had the chance to play one yet. But Roscoe basses are reputable on having an outstanding B-string. No regrets on this bass what-so-ever.
    [​IMG]

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    One more thing to add is this bass has a great slap tone. It takes a little practice hence the string spacing, but sounds great when slapping the heck out of it.

5. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    can your amp handle the high notes well?

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    These basse are comparable to the custom shop models in construction. The only gripe I had about mine was the preamp. However, I normally ran mine through a SansAmp Bass Driver and it made a lot of difference. I had two a fretted and a fretless model. Still own the fretless. I dropped an Aguilar 3 band pre in it and it sounds like a bass for twice the price I paid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    if you put a three band e.q. in it, wouldn't you of had to of added another knob?

and generally speaking, how much do strings cost for it?

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The neck is great- it doesn't hinder your speed at all. It's a big neck, but the spacing is a little bit bigger than Jazz spacing, or that's how it seems to me.

Like someone else said, it's bright and punchy, with growl, but it also has really good lows; they aren't boomy, but really tight and controlable.

Not have to move all around the neck to get a wide range- I have 28 notes under my hand in any one position.

Probably the preamp, which I'm switching to an Aguilar OBP-1 soon.

If you want pics, there's a few on my site at www.geocities.com/eric7string under the gear page.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not if you use concentric pots.

10. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I dont like Conklin Basses, they feel 'cheap' to me, I know lots of people like them, but I just really dont...

Plus I dont like 7 string basses...

I love 6'ers though :D

11. do you guys tune your 7s with high f or low f#?

12. ?

13. wouldnt you only have 7 notes in one position???

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    No... 4 frets x 7 strings = 28 notes. :)

I tune mine with high F. I've tried low F# before, and while it was cool, I didn't have as much use for it as I do with the high F. I recon that will change once I get a couple of Conklins though- I'd like 2 more. A custom Hollowbody fretless 7, and a neck through custom shop tuned to low F#.

15. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Urgh...if JT writes full review of every Conklin he owns this topic will have 200 pages or more...:p

16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    JT is insane man.

17. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003

:confused:.

what would be a good, not so expensive pre amp to put in it?

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "cheap". that's a new one. i wonder how a wenge and purple heart neck, with a quilted top, bartolini pickups and a bartolini designed preamp can qualify as "cheap", and that's the gt line.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I was wondering when you were gonna jump into this one JT.

And on topic. I've only played a GT7 in GC. It was a great bass. The action was nice and low. The neck would definately take some getting used to, but I was adjusting surprisingly quickly. I couldn't really comment on the preamp because I only played it for about a half-hour total. All in all, if I had the money and the need for that many strings, I'd definately get one.

20. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I know its not cheap, I know it has GREAT wood, but it just dosent feel right to me, its like I get a bad feeling when playing Conklin basses...

Maybe I have it backwards.... Maybe they are too good for me :meh:

... Nah, I just dont like em :D , dont worry, you wont be outbid by me on ebay for a conklin...