The Conklin Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublebassdude, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. After scouring 33 pages of threads relating to the bass guitar it has come to my attention that there just might not be a "club" available for those of us who own and play the Conklin brand bass guitar!

If you are the proud owner of a Conklin bass please feel free to leave a comment and post a picture of your favorite axe!

If indeed this is the start of an official Conklin Owners Club, I suppose this would make me the first official member!

S5031016.jpg

~ Scott
    Conklin Owners Club member #1

2. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I think John Turner should be member #000...his collection gives him Godly status...

i guess this makes me #2?

conklinpair.jpg

3. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Wow. This is going to be amazing. Subscribed.

4. If John Turners so desires he can choose his own number and we all move up the numerical ladder from there! LOL With 5 kids, a mortgage payment, a lake cottage, boats, Harleys, and 25 basses and counting I can't afford to keep up with John....unless I win the lottery!

Great pix so far! Thanks! And welcome!

~ Scott

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    And most of us cant afford to keep up with you! :D

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. i'll take #000 . not much for being in clubs, since they fly in the face of the purpose of talkbass, as i see it, which is to integrate folks, not to segregate them. there are folks that come to talkbass and only participate in their little club threads. that's a waste, to be honest, since they're missing out on everything else this site has to offer.

that's why there has never been a conklin owners club before. that and the fact that there haven't been that many folks who owned conklins here at talkbass, at least custom conklins. maybe a dozen or so that i know of, maybe a bit more.

that being said, i'm certainly not going to get in the way of you wanting to have a club for conklin owners, and i'll be glad to participate too. this will be a great opportunity for me to re-list my conks :D.

7. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA

I agree with you on the club thing JT, and its great you have that kind of spirit to not dismiss clubs, etc. You truly, are the man. ;)

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my most recent picture...

jtfamilyx3big.jpg

a few non-conklins in there too, but they're just there for contrast :D.

left to right on the couch:

1992 conklin custom 7 string fretted, serial number #6 tuned E-A-D-G-c-e-a
    2006 lowend jazz 21 7 string jazz bass geddy lee-style
    2004 ritter roya 7 string sn #443
    2002 conklin custom 7 string Ultimelt fretted tuned b-E-A-D-G-b-e
    1999 conklin custom 7 string fretted hollowbody 15th Anniversary bass tuned b-E-A-D-G-b-e (w/ rmc piezo/synth)
    1996 conklin custom doubleneck 7 string fretted/7 string fretless tuned (both necks) b-E-A-D-G-b-e
    2001 conklin custom 7 string fretless Wedding bass (wedding gift from my wife) tuned b-E-A-D-G-b-e (w/rmc piezo/synth)
    1997 conklin custom 7 string fretless New Century w/ customized neck tuned b-E-A-D-G-b-e

left to right on the floor :

1994 conklin custom 7 string fretted sn# 34 tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-c
    2000 conklin custom 8 string fretted 36 fret tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-b-e (w/rmc piezo/synth)
    1998 conklin custom 8 string fretless 36 fret tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-b-e (w/rmc piezo/synth)
    1993 conklin custom 7 string fretless tuned sn# 16 tuned b-E-A-D-G-b-e
    1975 rickenbacker 4080 doubleneck bass/guitar sn ok7557

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh, well thank you. i try to keep an eye on all the clubs and how they get going, but they seem to be really popular, so i wouldn't get in the way of em.

the threads end up being really great sources of instrument-specific conversation, to be honest, so there's no way i would get rid of em. the whole clique-ish exclusivity thing about them, though, just smacks a little bit of jr. high school to me, or at least what i remember of it. was a long time ago heh. :bag:

and let me say, no offense is intended to anyone who starts any clubs, and especially doublebassdude :) (welcome to talkbass, by the way). just sharing my thoughts.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I've wanted that fretless for a few years now...

12. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    It's just not the same without the cat in the foreground. :ninja: Crazy collection btw

13. JDC

JDC

Jul 1, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Can I join? I bought this second hand a few years ago from Bill Conklin. Been my main bass ever since.
    2002 Sidewinder 5 string.
    Flame Koa top.
    Swamp Ash laminate.
    Figured Spanish Cedar back.
    5 Piece maple/purpleheart neck, bolt-on.
    Ebony fretboard.
    Bartolini MM pups, with Bart 3-band and EZQ.
    Hipshot bridge and tuners.

Hope the pictures work .. never done this before.

Attached Files:

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    ive always wanted to try one... :-/

15. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Its only safe to assume that he invented like the Television, how else could he afford all that

16. I've had three customs in the past (all sold now) that I can post pics of when I'm not so damn sleepy. I still have my Groove Tools. I'll never sell that!

17. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Well Mark... the Nash isnt quite yours yet. ;)

18. Here's me and my gt-7 with the bart pre upgrade. It's up for sale in the classifieds, but for now at least, I'm still a Conklin owner! No need to give me a number since I may be on my way out. Love the bass, it just doesn't do an old guys shoulder any favors!

RicC3.jpg

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh... how about a job, a budget and priorites? :eyebrow: got on average one custom bass a year over about 12 years. it's amazing what you can do if you put a little plan into action, and have sufficient self-discipline to follow that plan.

Manichga likes this.
  20. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I'll take a number!

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021