1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The difference...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reptillian_Bass, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Reptillian_Bass

Reptillian_Bass

Sep 5, 2004
    My Room
    What, and how big, is the difference of sound between a 'metal' bass, such as the warlock, or a 'regular' bass? Is there any difference, and if I'm playing rock or something, will you be able to tell its a different type of bass?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Every bass has it's own character. A warlock's sound is generaly good for metal, but there are a TON of other basses that would work. The thing about music and instruments is that a lot of it is subjective. The warlock's style is just a good look for metal as well, but it's all about what works for you.

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The only reason I would say the Warlock is a "metal" bass is it's body shape. No reason you couldn't play jazz or country with it. You might get some stares though. I use a P and I play metal. There is no "metal" bass.

4. Reptillian_Bass

Reptillian_Bass

Sep 5, 2004
    My Room
    Awesome, that's what I was looking for. As for the stares...my people I play with are going with a kind of unconventional look...Alright. Thanks.

5. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Warlocks also come with 2 P-style pups, though, so the sound available to them really isn't that broad.

I was considering getting one, just for kicks, to play funky stuff on. But when I actually got my hands on one to try and plug in, I wasn't impressed by the tone. It's not neccicarrially a METAL bass, but it certainly isn't a very versatile bass either.