1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Digitech GNX3000

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stromrider, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    I know theirs a few people around here that use The GNX3000 (or any of the digitech workstations) and i didn't find any threads detailing how awesome this unit really sounds so i figured i'd post my thoughts. I just got mine today, and i'm still figuring out all the bells and whistles so keep that in mind.

First thing i noticed when i pulled the processor out of teh box was how heavey and sturdy it was. This thing will never slide across the stage on you nor will the foot buttons ever break with *normal use.

*normal meaning not jumping off your fullstack and landing on the GNX to hit a button.

It has some pretty mean turn on/off noises so follow the old rule of thumb by turning your amp on last, off first.

The thing has all the connections i think anyone would find useful. Stereo balanced xlr and 1/4" output jacks, mic preamp with xlr input, stereo line inputs, USB to connect to your computer for recording, and MIDI functions. Oh yeah, it has a guitar input too...

Now, the majority of the amp and cabinet models are intended for regular guitars, but they aren't bandwidth restricted at all so they work fine with bass guitar. Their are 10 dedicated bass heads including the Mesa 400+, and Ampeg SVT.The regular guitar cabinet models are also not bandwidth limited so they work, but they don't sound very good for bass. Their are 10 dedicated bass cabinets including an Eden 4x10", '77 Ampeg 8x10", Hartke 1x15" etc... You can also make up your own cabinet and amp models, but i haven't tried that yet. I'm finding plenty of good sounding combinations with the stock stuff.

This processor really needs a good "Hifi" system or PA system to sound its best. Considering it models the amp and cabinets you want the most "clean" or linear amplification possible.

Their is a massive list of effects and stuff, but i've only fooled around with the compressor so far. It is a fully functional studio type compressor with attack, ratio, threshold, and gain controls.

One of the most notable things about this processor is its one of the only ones to accurately model tube gain and distortion. You control the amount of dirt by how hard you hit the strings. Now, don't get me wrong, their is no real replacement for a real tube amp but this thing gets DARN close. And, its MUCH easier to record with. One usb cable compared to a head, cabinet, mic, preamp, etc...

Well, i'd say its definitely worth the 300$, especially if you need a good bass preamp for shows, recording, or whatever. They go for good prices on ebay too, i got my mint used one for 225$ shipped with a soft case.

2. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
  3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I have a Digitech GNX4 & it can do almost anything. Just got a Digitech 200 base pedal for $41 on the bay.

4. I had wondered if anyone else here had picked up on the GNX4--I was hoping it was my little secret.

The best $500 I ever spent, and that's in 38 years as a bassist.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks for the review, Stromrider. I recently started thinking about getting a GNX3000, particularly for the drum generator capability, to jam to. I have a friend who loves his GNX for use with guitar, and I was wondering if it could be used with bass, so your review is timely.

If money were no object, I'd have mine ordered already. :smug:

6. I've had a GNX 4 for almost a year, damn good multi FX. The software editing is great. We recently remodeled our house and I haven't been able to move the computer into the music room yet so I have to edit at the board. Man I miss the editing on the computer. There are several functions only available via software so be aware of that. Also you really have to watch your gain matching. This thing has a ton of gain and you can really get carried away with certain patches and then when you switch back and forth between patches....well you get the idea.
    Have fun with it.

Jimi

7. An interesting pedal, to say the least. I need a recorder, and this seems to be a pedal with a friggin' lot of stuff + the recorder.

8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis

Mar 23, 2008
    Oops! I pointed and clicked, and clicked a few times more, and now I await the arrival of my GNX 3000.

:hyper:

9. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Any of you guys still using these GNX3000?
    I am seriouslu considering one right now.
    How do they sound with bass direct to PA?