Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The EAWs are in!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I finally got my new EAW cabs and subs today. A pair of JFX-590s on top and SBX-220s below. I can't wait to fire them up and see how they compare to the old Mackies (which are pretty good). Looks like Saturday is going to be ring-out day. MOTL.

2. I'm sure you'll love them. I prolly QC'd them, honestly...

The 220's are my favorite sub, they're essentially mini SB1000's... and those kick. v:O)

Very good all around system you have there. What are you powering them with?

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm giving each sub its own PLX 2402, and running the mains off a single PLX 3402. The mains might be slightly underpowered because the 3402 only puts out 700 watts a side at 8 ohms, and the cabs are rated at 500 watts continuous (in full range), so I'm a bit shy of the 1.5 to 2 times power recommended by EAW. I swapped quite a few e-mails with Scott Jordan, who "got my mind right" regarding power.

I have cabling to bi-amp the mains (200+800 watts), but I think I need another PLX 1602 to run the HF tops, then I'll bridge the 3402 into the LF mains daisy-chained to get all 3400 watts at 4 ohms. I have an extra 3402 that I could run the horns off of (in stereo to 8-ohm loads), but Scott was nervous that 700 watts to the horns was too dangerous.

Anyway,

I broke down and brought one of the mains into my practice room and fired it up. The first word that comes to mind is "crisp." Any fears I might've had about going from 3-ways to 2-ways evaporated immediately. Nice full sound across the spectrum. Damn, these things sound tight. Can't wait for the first gig. Now I'll hook up the subs with them on Saturday. TTFN.

BTW, the inspector was "Number 11."

4. Well, #11 is not me, that's a main production floor inspector...

I'm glad you like the sound! best of luck with that rig.

5. Ah, an EAW guy on the board, how cool is that? :cool:

I've been using EAW cabs of all descriptions for many years. I still have a soft spot for the good old KF850.... Great rock n'roll box.:D

Nice buy Munji, I'm sure they'll serve you well.

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A club I play regularly has a row of EAW monitors across the front of the stage - BEST monitor sound ever - only venue I'll go ampless in. :)

Played another venue last night with EAW mains - for some crazy reason I remember seeing an "inspector #31" label on the back of one... that you, Mon? :hyper:

7. Ah, sorry, external inspection stickers are last component fit / signal sweep type QC, I work in the woodshop (different building) where they make the raw cabinets and do the finish work...my stickers are internals....I do final check stuff, but not often...

Tho I do know both peeps referenced quite well. :D

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oops. The subs were inspected by #31. The mains were #11.

Anyway, here's some pics.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    And a couple more.

10. Nice.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am thinking of new PA mains. Exactly why did you go with these particular models? Sorry, I don't know much about FOH. Are they affordable?

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    My band played through some EAWs at First Night San Diego a year ago, and they sounded superb. EAW cabs are used by a lot of pro sound providers, and they're cheaper than Meyer.

But no, they're not affordable.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    EAW is affordable USED. Even the ones made back in the 80s sound killer and you can find models like the PM-315 for $300 a box or less.

I've been using their VB-125 cab (1-15") for over 15 years as a bass cabinet and it's been wonderful.

14. Yeah, a bit of the trickle-down comes into play with alot of our boxxes...tho much is new install that just lasts...and I admit to being pretty proud of that.

A few rooms I frequent in Boston and Worcester have some of the very first design boxxes (before my time) and I'm constantly pleased with the nice sound. I also like how there's a lot of design constants that carry over, almost like "brand ques". Cool stuff.

Thanks on behalf of my employer. :D

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    What was interesting about the First Night gig is that the main provider had all Carvin stuff, boards, speakers and amps. I could hear it in the other bands' sound checks as we came into the venue (they had about a half-dozen stages), you know, that boxy, lifeless sound. When we got to our stage, to my great pleasure, I see EAW mains and subs, JBL monitors, Crown power amps, and a big Yamaha board. The guy had to subcontract out some of the stages, and we were spared "that Carvin sound." That was when I decided that my goal was to get EAWs. Only I went with QSC PLX amps to save my back.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Munji I hate you!

There's a gig in my area (for the benefit of the locals, it's Parramatta Leagues Club) that has an EAW system installed. As much as I hate the gig, it's the best sounding PA I've ever played through. I'll have a closer look at model numbers next time. I can tell you the subs cab are 2x12's and they sound amazing. The top boxes are flown and hide in the shadows so I couldn't get a good look at them.

EAW rocks!

17. LUCKY!

Wuss. (KIDDING!) Totllay understandable, and great amps to boot. :D

18. If they have logos up front they are DC-2's. If not, either KF940 or BH8's or 6's. They're all similar boxxes, with install-specific appointments. Those cabs pass the "quarter test":

as in place a quarter on top of the cab and send a LF pulse thru it approaching full power...the quarter jumps about 1 foot or so off the cab.

(we have fun in the lab room) :D

19. :D

KF940s are absolutely sick, but the SB-1000 is still my favourite sounding EAW sub....

I saw Iron Maiden last year and they were carrying a KF-760, KF940 rig. The sheer output of the system was incredible.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Or they could be SBX 220s like mine.

[​IMG]