1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I think it's true in this case. East preamps are great, but so are the ones within SBs. If it was not, I would have J-Retro(ed) it long time ago. The Bromberg & SB preamps are by far the best Carvin ever produced. BTW, nice Roscoe on your avatar...I used to own one (SKB5 with slant pickups).

2. Bassman415

Bassman415 I make the floor shake Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm sorry but with all due respect to you guys don't you think the j retro masks the true sound of the bass ?... I had one from A bass I purchased that the previous owner had installed and boy talk about over coloration

CElton likes this.
  3. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY

Apparently not since most of the discussion in this thread leans positively to the brands attributes. Like everything to each his own. It's not your thing and that's fine. Plenty of options out there.

Personally I like the way they wake the bass up and the wide sonic range they offer. It makes the good noise I like and that's all that matters. You'll find the right thing that makes the sound in your head too at some point.

But seriously. You would expect the response to your question to be "yeah. These things really over color our sounds to the point that we no longer recognize what bass we're even playing! We hate that so much we just have to keep on using them. Hell, some of us hate them so much we own 2 or 3! Yuck."

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

For me, as long as a preamp sounds good....I dig them. Coloring or not. I rarely do passive basses. Only 2 I ever did was a P bass and a Rick.

5. Bassman415

Nov 17, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I will say this though - the pickups I have in the bass with the pre may not be the best match to the preamp so I will investigate a bit more.

6. Bassman415

Nov 17, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    But in passive mode I like the way the j retro works

7. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I doubled down. Initially had a MMSR 3 band in my first stingray3-4 years ago (still have) and later got the East Marcus Miller replacement in my MM 4 string last year. Both sound killer.

8. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY

That's cool and all but I have considered the passive mode an emergency or worst case scenario feature. Enough to get you through a set or night should something in the pre goes bad. I can't imagine anyone installing one of these for the passive mode. Certainly there are simpler passive options.

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Love the East preamps!

BTB-01:

IMG_0051.

ACG EQ-02:

DSC01095.

And this guy is gonna get an MMSR when I finish him:

DSC01096.

10. gospel jazz

gospel jazz Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Endorsements: LoPhat bass cabs, Regenerate Guitar Works, Honeybadger Pickups, Darkhorse strings, Ergo Straps and Intex cables.
    Have any of you needed to adjusted the gain on these john east pre's? If so, by how much, and what was your opinion afterwards?

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I set mine so that when set flat in active mode its a tiny bit louder than in passive mode. Seems to work very well with my amps and interface when set like that.

12. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    FWIW, you can order a U/J retro or SP2 circuit without the built in frequency curve (voicing/coloration) that the Retro's are known for. I have one and I love it, very uncolored and natural sounding, to my ears anyway.

13. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I actually really like the option of a good usable passive tone on my East loaded bass. I use it quite a bit, depending on the setting. Sometimes I want a more vintage sound and I'll pop the volume knob for passive mode. If I'm plugged straight into my amp (not going through a pedal board) I get a great passive sound. And if for some reason the room or the tune calls for it, I can switch over to a more articulate active sound. Ain't nothing wrong with having usable options.

14. Jly56

Jly56

Feb 11, 2014
    Rocky Mountains
    So is somebody assigning membership numbers for this club? :D

I use a John East Retro J with DiMarzio Area J pups in Geddy Lee J bass. The Retro J really helps bring out the vintage tones of DiMarzios. A quality piece of equipment!

15. I have a J-East in my GL. Tried it with DiMarzio Model Js but went back to the single coils. Sounds way better. The DiMarzios sound great in my Squier tho.

16. Completed Stingray clone

East MMSR 2 band in preamp cavity
    IMG_4419_zpsa2dba4a1.

completed instrument
    IMG_4429_zpscb176782.

17. Jly56

Jly56

Feb 11, 2014
    Rocky Mountains
    Very nice! :). I love the clean finish..

I'm always amazed at the room the P has in the control cavity. In my J, with the Retro J and battery, I don't think I could fit a mouse fart in the cavity!

As far as coloration from/with a preamp, when people tell me that I'm not getting the 'true (insert bass name) sound when using a (insert preamp, pup, or whatever)', I ask them how many pedals they use and isn't that coloration? The tone and sound we try to get is very personal and should never be criticized by another. If you can achieve it with everything stock, then good for you.:hyper: I myself can never leave anything alone!

18. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yeah, no kidding. To be pedantic, the "true sound" of the instrument is the sound it makes unplugged. ;)

19. thanks, the control cavity was enlarged to accommodate the preamp BTW :)

20. yep I agree!