1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The John East preamp club

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by datsaxguy, May 16, 2013.

1. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I really like the pre-shape.

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    It worked amazingly well in my Lakland DJ. In my custom 6, not so much. But that makes perfect sense given the sonic footprint of those two basses. And again, someone else might play those two basses and get the opposite impressions, since its all subjective and depends on other pieces in the chain. Always YMMV!

3. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I am really thinking hard about the flat response. With my Demeter HBP-1 it is really easy to dial in the high end. And it has a 2 band parameteric as well.

Thanks

4. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    my fave rack pre ever. Not the most luscious or gorgeous sounding, but MAN does it get the job done between its out of the box tone and parametric EQ. I wish Demeter would make a lunchbox version of that!

5. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I run it through a QSC 1602 into a Greenboy F212. It is clean, crisp and dead quiet. Grind from pedals when needed (B3K).

Thanks

6. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    dang, I bet that slays. I'm spoiled on small format amps and don't want to go back to a 19" rack. But if I did, I'd have a HBP-1 with a Jensen in a heartbeat.

I'd love to hear a F212 someday. heard a buddy's F112 the other day and was super impressed.

7. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The QSC and the F212 live at the rehearsal space. I keep the Demeter in a 2 space and use it with a QSC 12.2 powered cab for jams/acoustic gigs.

Thanks

J.Wolf likes this.
  8. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    I did not know this club existed, but not really surprised. I have a John East MMSR Classic 2-band that I put in a Sterling Sub Ray 4. Bought the bass new and after doing some set up and fret work I really liked how it played and felt. Then I wanted to upgrade the sound. Did some research and decided to try the John East Pre-amp for MMSR4 2 band. Ordered the kit that came with new pots and even new input jack all pre-wired. Also replaced the pickup with a Delano MM at the same time. Could not believe the fantastic sound from the bass now. Yes, I more than doubled the money I had in the bass originally, but it has become my favorite bass in my collection to play. Now thinking of upgrading another bass with a John East Pre.

9. peper61

peper61

May 9, 2004
    If you find nobs that fits i love those fender.. I d'ont like the look either the chrome that comes with JRetro-01

10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Anybody with leftover unwanted East knobs please PM me. :)

11. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Any opinions of how a East Retro would work with Aggie 60's wind jazz bass single coils?
    I would like to fatten up the tone a little.

12. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I would think the sweepable mid would be perfect for adding just the right low mid frequency to fatten up the sound. But I have not played a bass with those pups and a Retro. I did use a bass with DCB's and a UNI pre for a few years and it was just a stellar combo.

13. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Good info, thanks.

14. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Any traditional output pickup will pair well with the East pre.

15. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    One more question. With the J-retro, is there still the single coil hum when one volume is down (vol/vol) or the blend turned one way or the other?

Thanks

16. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Anyone?

17. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I have zero direct experience. But there are very few preamps that include a noise-cancellation circuit. So I’m gonna say that, as a matter of principle, single-coil hum will be unaffected by the presence or absence of a John East preamp.

18. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Ok, thanks.

19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I'll check later this evening. I have an East Deluxe J retro in my American Jazz deluxe. My recollection is there is no hum if soloing either pup in active mode, I don't recall passive mode.

20. Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

GBassNorth likes this.