Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the minor scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dubstyle5000, Jan 31, 2005.

1. dubstyle5000

dubstyle5000 Guest

Jan 24, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been learning a lot of stuff lately, especially from some of you guys who hang around here. It's been cool. I'm glad I discovered this site, everyone is so helpful. :bassist: Rock!

I've been away from the site for a few days, trying to do some learning idependently (sp?). I came across a little hitch. :spit: I found out that the I, IV and V of a major scale are majors, while the ii, iii and vi are minor. Right so far? I think so...

That information was great to know. I've been able to do some cool things with that knowledge. Then I wanted to figure out which intervals of the minor scale are minor, and which are major. When I try to work through it by counting the space between the intervals, I am finding that the distance between each interval is a minor third... no majors. Is that right? It doesn't seem like it could be.

Thanks in advance!

DS5

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sounds like you're looking at something wrong. Rather than counting interval spaces let's us look at the actual notes.

C major
    C D E F G A B C, OK?
    Counting spaces, from C whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step , half step. OK?
    Intervals (calculated from the root, C)
    C - D = (major)second
    C - E = major 3rd
    C - F = perfect 4th
    C - G = perfect 5th
    C - A = major 6th
    C - B = major 7th

Triads built on the major scale
    CEG - maj - I
    DFA - minor - ii
    EGB - minor - iii
    FAC - major - IV
    GBD - major -V
    ACE - minor - vi
    BDF - diminished - viio

So to make a NATURAL minor scale, you have to flatten the 3rd and the 6th and the 7th, right?
    C D Eb F G Ab Bb C, right?

So your interval relationship (again from the root)
    C -D = (major) second
    C - Eb = minor 3rd
    C- F = perfect 4th
    C- G = perfect 5th
    C -Ab = minor sixth
    C - Bb = minor seventh (or flat seventh or dominant seventh)

So your triads
    C Eb G - minor - i
    D F Ab - diminished - iio
    Eb G Bb - major - III
    F Ab C - minor -iv
    G Bb D - minor - v
    Ab C Eb - major - VI
    Bb D F - major - VII

much of this is covered in jazzbo's tutorial, you should poke around a bit.

The other thing that you have to be careful with is using the natural minor scale when you are talking about patterns of resolution in a minor tune, that's why we got the harmonic and melodic minor...