The most important skill a bass player must posses.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by samrock5000, May 8, 2010.

1. samrock5000

samrock5000

May 6, 2010
    I think there's a level that some musicians can reach where your mind is free and you tap into a source of infinite creativity. Is there a name for this? I've not heard too many teachings on this subject.

2. TalkBass Sponsor

3. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I think victor wooten says something to that effect. Could be wrong though.

You should check out this video:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

It's about creativity, not specifically musical creativity, but creativity as a whole. She talks about where it comes from and how our perception of it has changed over the years. It used to be that we thought creativity came from an outside source, like gods or muses or the force or whatever. In our society this has shifted to thinking inspiration comes from within the person being creative. this has a whole lot of implications for art. For example, if it comes from an outside source, you can't really take credit for your song. After all, you are not responsible for it, you were "used" as it were to create it. this also means, that if it bombs, you are not personally affected. It has it's pros and cons.

Anyway, it's a very interesting subject.

Also, if you're into mysticism and stuff, you might check out the concept of gnosis in magick. I spell it with a k, so you know it's real :D

Meditation can also get you there, probably. I feel making music in itself can be a form of meditating, improvising and such. I've had the happiest moments in my life while improvising with others in music. That either makes me very sad or very awesome. I like to think the latter :p

Another thing is drugs. I'm not sure if I can mention that according to the rules and I don't want this thread to get closed, but I'm in holland and marijuana is legal (-ish) here, so...
    I find weed makes you more creative, brings you more in contact with your feelings and makes it easier to make connections in thoughtprocesses. Also, it makes you into a giggling and apathetic dumb*ss, but that's on the outside. Well, it works for me anyway.

4. Unwound

Unwound

Aug 10, 2007
    Ridgecrest, CA
    listen to as much music as humanly possible. the only limits are those of your imagination.

5. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    The most important "skills" a bass player must posses are humility and consciousness of his/her own limits.

6. Well, technical you have to able to express yourself as well, so mechanics, knowledge of the fretboard, are important as well.

I dont recommend weed if you want to remember what you did. yet getting "underneath" it all, is key to feeling the groove, or creating the line, in your soul.

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Patience for those who play the supporting instruments.

8. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Me neither. I bought a zoom recorder :p

9. I'm not saying go get high RIGHT NOW, but smoking a bowl right in the middle of a jam can take me and my drummer to places we would probably not have gone.

The right ganja can definitely be a useful jam tool.

I love Canada!

10. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    yeah, what's that about? I also heard a clutch song where he sang "everybody move to canada, smoke lots of pot". It is legal there too or what?

11. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    The need to smoke pot to tap into your creativity just shows a lack of imagination on your part. Frank Zappa went places no one had gone before him, and he never needed drugs. He was a composer, too, so he had a lot more to think about than us bass players.

12. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I started reading, and it got to Inspiration, Canada, and Weed. So i shall share some stuff.

I have thought about what the OP has presented many times. Really you cannot express yourself on a fretboard without knowing where those notes are. We can all play music in our heads and it always sounds awesome but if you dont know where those notes are on the board that will never become a reality. So some technical, and academic knowledge is needed.

Regarding canada and drugs... Its not 'legal' but we have tried to 'decriminalized' marijuana many times. Every time its about to pass the USA does something to eff with canada as a punishment like threatening to cut of trade and whatnot and it never passes. So basically canadians act like its passed even though it hasn't.

This means you can carry weed, smoke weed, buy bongs at the corner store etc... and no one cares. I wouldn't do it like super in public, but all you get is a cop telling you to stop and go home. (except in BC where im pretty sure they act like its legal and smoke on the streets whenever lol)

13. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    You have to be confident and comfortable enough to be able to RELAX and let it flow. Confidence comes when your technique is solid and your theory is sound. Being tense will make it difficult to use your technique, resulting in frustration and lack of confidence...then the mistakes will follow.

14. Unwound

Unwound

Aug 10, 2007
    Ridgecrest, CA
    yeah, i guess your right. because jimi hendrix never did any drugs. dude had NO imagination :rolleyes:

15. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Also, drug use can free up creativity in people who find it hard to be creative. Its not a fix for everyone, it can also make some people a terrible player rather then creative. I would try to free your mind on your own before you try drugs. So my vote is in the 'Don't do drugs and jam' pile.

16. Unwound

Unwound

Aug 10, 2007
    Ridgecrest, CA
    now this makes sense.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    read up on current brain research specifically on learning, long term skill aquisition and musical skills. great stuff. the science on this stuff has become very good although they have a long way to go.

18. rosstanium

rosstanium Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    I love it when people try to argue the "benefits" of drug use while playing and how it makes them a better player.

I'm totally using one of those quotes for my sig.

19. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    I've never smoked weed in my life....not even a puff.

I've never found the lack of smoking weed to be "creatively stifling".

20. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Leave the "Bong-Hits" out of it....Trust me!