1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The never played more than 4 thread has me thinking.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LT131, Feb 10, 2016.

1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I haven't laid hands on a 5 in 20 years. That's right. And, my current band has dropped a hint, mainly the git player who I think would like for me to get one so he could borrow it, that it would really be nice for some of our stuff. So i looked around. I find that specs on the lower end stuff seem to be kind of sketchy.

My biggest dislikes about five strings has always been string spacing and never really getting a good b string sound. Now I have a rig that will handle fat strings but the preference for wider nuts and spacing hasn't changed.

Here's my questions. What is out there that has wider spacing, cheap(3-400 or less) used, and since my local craigslist a veritable wasteland, easy to find say on the GC used lists? I prefer passive but it seems most 5'ers are active. Is this necessary to make the B sound good?

I see tons of Ibanezezs, some Yamahas, ESP's and a few Squiers. What fits the bill?

2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Try a Music Man Sting Ray. I'm not a 5'er guy myself but I've been on the look out for one that feels good. Just can't find it.

3. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I recently picked up a Yamaha BB425x, and it's the first 5er that has felt comfortable to me. It has a nicely tensioned B-string, and I believe the spacing is 18mm. I paid $599 new, so used ones will probably be around $400-$450, I'd imagine. Quality bass, imo. I love mine.
    image.

BlueAliceOasis, Joybass and mrb327 like this.
  4. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Very nice. Do you know the width at the nut?

5. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Thanks. It's showing 1.75" (44.45mm)at the nut, and as close as I can tell, 18mm (.70") at the bridge, measured center-of-B to center-of-E strings.

6. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    If you can find a Godin Freeway 5, the string spacing is just a little narrower than a 4 at the bridge, the neck is super comfortable, passive PJ, and really well made. I just sold mine because I don't ever play 5 string, but they easily be found in your price range.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

THIS Fender fanboy would simply recommend Fenders BUT, you just have to try whatever is available to you. Some guys rock the nickle & dime basses while many make the $weet $tuff sing too. The good news is that you have many affordable choices to find a player to get you creating.

When you can play it easily and make musical discoveries is when you'll have found a good place to start.

47th Street likes this.
  8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    The Ibanez BTB and ATK basses have wider spacing the the SRs.

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Try a Yamaha TRBX --- they sound great (especially the lesser expensive 305) and have a wide-variety of tonal options.....The string-spacing is kinda in the middle: Not wide like my Carvin ( My BB75 has a full 3" breadth from B to G across the bridge pickup) but not Ibanez narrow either

Spent and Helix like this.
  10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    MTD Kingston Artist. I don't think they've been in production for years, but you can find used ones for under $400. 19 mm spacing at the bridge.

WaldoNova and lamarjones like this.
  11. Any of those options (Ibanez, Yamaha, etc.) are excellent value for you.

Another option for you, if your goal is to have the Low B... If you have an extra 4-string bass. String it BEAD (instead of the traditional EADG). For the most part, it's a minimal change, simply requiring the heavier guage strings and a minor intonation adjustment.

12. lowerclef

lowerclef

Nov 10, 2003
    Squier Vintage Modified P5s get pretty great reviews as well:

lamarjones and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Used metro

14. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Keep an eye out for Carvins... some of their fivers use wide spacing (just Google the model name if you find one) and they tend to sell for way lower than purchase price on the used market.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  15. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I have enough trouble playing the 4 strings on my current bass, no need to make it even more complicated! But maybe one day when I get a bit better, I would like to give it a try.

16. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    That these got me thinking too, but I wanna string E-C. The tried a Fender MIM the other day that felt nice. 1.75 nut, not sure of the spacing but really nice and playable. It had flat wounds on it. Sounded real nice!

17. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    How is the neck on that? I prefer chunky, not flat or shallow C. Don't like to feel a thin fret board jabbing my fingers when I reach for the B string.

18. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    It's definitely not overly thin. It feels thicker front-to-back than my American Special P Bass, but it's not uncomfortable. I'd say it feels more like an American Standard Modern-C Shape than the Slim-C shape of the American Special. It also widens nicely as it gets closer to the body joint. The finish on the neck almost feels like an oil finish, rather than a satin poly. It feels fairly close to a Musicman neck finish, imo.

19. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Agree with most. The Ibanez BTB, Squier P5, MTD imports. Thats where I'd start The Squier P5 has a neck that you'd probably like too.

You're lucky, there are several great basses within your price range.

20. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH