1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Official MTD USA Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Oct 6, 2006.

1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Hellow Fellas and owners ("apriciaters" :D) of MTD made by Michael.

I'm starting this thread to show some of the beatiful instruments that Tobias has given to us.

Function of the thread:
    So... show here your beauties, help other solve problems, questions related to the MTD world, post your GAS list, the MTD that is (in your opinion) the most breathtaking of all...

MTD Club
    and also with this thread we start the OFFICIAL MTD Club on Talkbass.com.
    (email / PM and request the membership)

Here's mine: serial #188 korina / wenge ; 1997 ; 5 string

[​IMG]

Arthur Schmidt likes this.
  2. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    I still think this is one of the best looking MTD's I've seen and when I order myself one, I'll probably get a one just like it.

[​IMG]

3. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    I absolutely agree with you ... amazing bass

4. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    here's mine...
    mtd535.

5. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Mine
    mtd1-1.

mtd2.

2l91pia.

6. Casual Karma

Casual Karma

Aug 12, 2006
    Oh my god....

7. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    Btw, how long does it take Mike & Co. to make a bass for you when you've placed an order? Because I'm guessing most of you ordered directly from him, seeing as you live in the States.

8. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I just emailed him the other day. The wait time currently going directly through Mike is 18 months. One can do better ordering from one of his dealers with instruments already promised. By the way, Mike was incredibly fast with his return email. Those oil burst finishes just kill.

Lefties take note, Mike doesn't charge extra for left handed.

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Kill me.

11. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    MTDs aren't quite my cup of tea but they're remarkable instruments. I've played maybe 6 (all different wood combos) and each had a unique character. Several weeks ago there was a sweet used MTD 5 at the El Cerrito, CA (East SF Bay) Guitar Center. It was in excellent condition, and they were asking $2600. Top was a dark brown wood that I could not identify. Played/sounded fantastic. GC will usually knock a lot of the price of a used instrument if you're ready to buy.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I read in a for sale ad that MTD only makes a few four stringers per year, and only by special request. Is that true?

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's mine...

My first MTD, maple burl on ash with matching headstock, maple neck, ebony fingerboard with matching trussrod cover, custom knobs to match from Pete Skjold...
    mtd_burl.

Marilyn #8 chambered alder body, water cured redwood top with matching headstock and trussrod cover, maple neck, blistered and flamed ebony board, custom knobs to match from Pete Skjold...
    mtd_wcr.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very likely, but I believe it's not because it's a special limited run instrument... it's just because there's not much as demand for them compared to the fivers.

15. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I saw that somewhere as well. If you look around I only see two "sold" MTD four stringers at BassCentral, BassNW, Austin Bass Traders, The Lowend and the Groove Shoppe. Not many out there in the wild.

16. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I've had and sold 2 or 3 MTD 435's, and they were a lot cheaper on the used market than the fives and sixes due to lower demand I guess. Still incredible basses.

17. I have a 435 and I gotta tell you, after trying everything from Warwick to Music Man... The MTD si my favorite by a long shot.... and last week I recorded it for the first time and the sound was perfect... can't wait to get my MTD #2!!!...

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If I come across a used 435 in the future when I have the funds, I may pick one up. Great basses.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Sigh. That one used to be mine. She was the best playing bass I've ever owned. The tones were amazing, and of course the looks are to die for. To top it all off, she's light as a feather!

I guess I have to explain why I let her go. In short, I traded in my boutiquey looking instruments (MTD 535, Modulus Quantum 5, Warwick Streamer Stage I 5) in favor of some boutiquey P-basses: one Sadowsky P5 and two Benavente 51 models. I wish I could've kept 'em all. I miss that MTD the most! :bawl: I'll buy another 535 some day.

20. Basboeg

Basboeg Guest

Sep 30, 2006
    An MTD for a P-bass? Damn, I could never do that.