1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ox's RD Artist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ablebasser, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Ablebasser

Ablebasser

May 16, 2008
    Belfast
  2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Day-um! Thanks for posting this - very cool.

3. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    I don't think I've ever wanted a spare six grand so badly.

Though this was tempered by looking at the very last photo: the shot of the same bass in the book, in which Entwistle is quoted as saying "unfortunately, I didn't like it"!

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I would never pay a stupid price for something just because an artist owned it and he never used...then especially when said artist didn't like it anyway.
    It's quite different whan a bass is famously used and is a favorite.

5. Wow you can clearly read that he didnt like it haha .

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I get a kick out of ebay uk. The guy only post six pictures and has a whooping 54 transactions. Silly price for a bass John couldn't stand.

7. Ablebasser

Ablebasser

May 16, 2008
    Belfast
    Yeah, I remember reading that he didn't like it, but the RD Artists did become popular with some people, usually those pre-disposed to making nice 'n noisy music! AFAIK the Ox was initially involved with the project - for me the attraction of this particular bass is it being a prototype of an instrument I really dig rather than it having belonged to him. I probably wouldn't spend that sort of cash on it if I had it to spare, but it is a bargain compared to what other famous musicians guitars/basses etc have sold for.

8. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    John not liking it aside, and even John owning it aside, it IS a prototype. That almost makes it priceless, IMO.

9. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I'm surprised at how little attention this is getting. For 9,000 us dollars you could have a piece of bass history.

It is still THE RD prototype (if I understand that correctly).

I wish I had 9000 to spare.:eek:

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    If I had the $$ I would love to add it to my collection

11. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    I think the quote was "it sounded like poopiee"...

And yes, the RD prototype is a piece of history... Although, I'd be hesitant to bid without legitimate certification of authenticity. Something about the serial number and the Gotoh mini tuners that strikes me as odd... I know it's a proto, but all of my Gibsons (including my '78 RD) have the serial # stamped into the wood.

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    As far as I know John had about zero input on this. Reminds me of how John Birch did business. He would build a guitar/bass present it to the recipient and if they kept it he would bill them months later.

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm not a big Who fan, but it's kinda neat. Not $6000 neat though, imo.

14. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I know absolutely nothing about RD's, but what makes this a prototype?

Just curious.... cool bass.

15. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX

They used the sticker numbers through early '77 before going with the current scheme. "99" prefix was 1975, "00" prefix was for 1976 and the "06" prefix was used in 1977 just before the switch. My '78 also has the stamped number and larger Gibson branded tuners.