The Pedulla Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by p0k, Apr 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Oh I see what you are saying - you're talking about oiling the fingerboard, not the back in the neck. Before answering that question - I want to clarify, does your bass have a polyester coating over the ebony, or is bare wood?

Tung oil won't actually create a harder surface to play - it's a penetrating oil that will absorb into bare wood. If you try to put tung oil over a sealed finish, it will just kind of puddle on it, and slowly turn into a sticky mess. You don't want to put tung oil over a hard wood finish. Another issue with tung oil (and many finishes, for that matter) is that there are often a lot of byproducts and other gunk in stuff commonly sold as "tung oil" or "lemon oil." Hard to know what sure what you are getting.

For treating natural wood fingerboards I suggest "F-0ne" Fingerboard Oil that is common in music stores and available on Amazon.

mtb777 likes this.
  2. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    Thx LonnyBass!

The neck is natural ebony with no coating, and the manual recommends putting tung oil on ever few years or so (I've never done it tho in the 25+ years i've had the bass). It does get a great woody sound and can emulate a upright pretty well. I got 100% pure tung oil so it should be good.

Anyone know what Pedulla used to finish their natural finish (no poly) bodies?

I plan on taking your advice Lonny and buffing the scratches with something like Liberon Black Bison Clear Wood Wax Polish, seems like it should not do any damage and should help. thx again for the advice...

mtb777 likes this.
  3. LSancho

LSancho

May 29, 2020
    Greetings, hope you are fine. Very happy about this one, 1990 MVP. Can't believe it has been 30 years since I watched one of these in a Bass Player magazine cover, since they were giving it as a prize, and thinking "there is no chance I would ever win that". The wonders of the used market. Only detail: Two bottom pots are seemingly not doing a thing. Not sure about layout, but I seem to recall these two lower ones are "Highs" and "Lows". Anyone has had that issue? 20210208_105823.jpg 20210208_105828.jpg 20210208_105842.jpg 20210208_105852.jpg 20210208_105823.jpg 20210208_105823.jpg 20210208_105828.jpg 20210208_105842.jpg 20210208_105852.jpg 20210208_123316.jpg

mtb777 and Pedulla? like this.
  4. rhs1856

rhs1856

Jan 15, 2008
    Waltham, MA
    Mike's standard layout: control nearest output jack is bass boost/cut; next up is treble boost/cut; next up (on the outboard side) is pickup pan. All 3 of those have a center detent. The inboard control is volume. Try a new battery, but while you're in there, look to see whether someone's disconnected your tone controls... Enjoy!

5. BargeOn

BargeOn Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    That's a nice looking MVP. It may have a few dents but looks like the finish has held up well.
    Appears to be in better condition than my '97 (by the serial number the last bass he made that year). It's definately road worn, chips and dents all over, but structurally in fine shape.

Have you got the tone controls working?

mtb777 likes this.
  6. LSancho

LSancho

May 29, 2020
    To make a long story short: Treble and bass controls not working. Another member of Talkbass mentions that he sees differences between diagram and actual layout. I wrote to Bartolini and they are very kind and supportive. So next week I am sending the bass to my tech. Best case scenario = just a cable correction issue. If not, Bartolini is having a serious issue in terms of wiring harnesses, so availability of preamps is subjected to the ones they have in stock. If not, a long waiting queue is on sight.

It was mentioned that this preamp is an original one, but someone meddled with it, doing a lousy job, and since that modification did not kill the sound totally, they thought it was correctly done, not checking the preamp's working condition. Revision by my friend who helps me with the electronics on my instruments will be crucial. Fingers crossed!

mtb777 likes this.
  7. BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    It's a nice Pedulla, be worth a few bucks to bring it back to life. Let us know how it goes.

mtb777 and LSancho like this.
  8. LSancho

LSancho

May 29, 2020
    Thank you. Thing is, bass is working and sounds amazing and powerful, only thing is, adjustments are not working. Maybe that is why whoever tweaked this thing, seeing that the bass was sounding well, never bothered to check those two adjustments. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for the support.

mtb777 likes this.
  9. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Inactive Suspended

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Thing is, they all sound great no matter how you tweak them EQ wise, but it’s just a matter getting the right great sound you want. That’s the thing!!
    Sound great.
    Play great.

Pedulla? likes this.
  10. David1957

David1957

Dec 9, 2019
    UK
    This has been really true for me.

mtb777 likes this.
  11. bmoriarty

bmoriarty

Dec 10, 2008
    Thomastik infield nickel wound flats on my Pentabuzz. If anyone has used these flats before on any other bass you know they’re not typical flat wound strings. Even after almost a year on my Yamaha six string they still sound very bright and articulate. They’ve got great mid range growl to them. Wanting to preserve my fingerboard I decided to try them on my Pentabuzz. The result is really great. I’m getting all the growl I could possibly want and excellent mmwaaaa. They are also a fairly low tension strength which is good. Excellent sustain. Two questions. The the b string is a whopping .136 gauge!! Michael put in ebony nut on my bass when he refinished my fingerboard in 2015. The B string is not sitting flush in the nut groove. The groove needs to be cut just a little wider. I’m thinking of doing this myself and getting a file from stew Mac. Anyone out there had to do this himself? Second question is fingerboard refinishing. I don’t think it needs to be dressed now but the finish is showing lots of signs of ware and will eventually need to be done again. I’m in Massachusetts, not far from where Mike’s shop was. Anyone know of a luthier who maybe worked for him or could do a board for me in this area? Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    mtb777 and coolhang like this.
  12. bmoriarty

bmoriarty

Dec 10, 2008
    upload_2021-2-14_18-40-17.jpeg

mtb777, Merlino, thumbslapper and 7 others like this.
  13. Pat Wilkins does a fantastic job on fingerboards.

drumsnbass, mbluto and mtb777 like this.
  14. bmoriarty

bmoriarty

Dec 10, 2008
    Where is Pat based out of?

15. Pat is in California. He refinished a Fender fretless and a Pedulla fretless of mine, and they are both great, and his prices are reasonable.

mbluto likes this.
  16. bmoriarty

bmoriarty

Dec 10, 2008
    Thanks Mking! I’m really looking for someone in the Northeast. Maybe somebody that worked for Michael. Does anyone have a bead on people that worked in his workshop?

mtb777 likes this.
  17. bmoriarty

bmoriarty

Dec 10, 2008
    • here is a shot of the back and a closeup at the nut. You can see how the b string is not resting in the slot all the way.

• upload_2021-2-16_20-51-38.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-16_20-56-44.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    mtb777, gigetto and Oubabass like this.
  18. That is a beautiful bass! Wow!

mtb777 and Oubabass like this.
  19. bmoriarty

bmoriarty

Dec 10, 2008
    Update, John Mauradian, Mouradian Guitar Co. here in the Boston area worked on my bass for me. Quick fix to widen the nut enough for the fat Thomastik b string. Mouradian Guitar is a three generation guitar builder/ repair co. Ive heard great things about them and I can see why. Great service Great people.

mtb777, WayneP and mbluto like this.
  20. BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    I didn't see a response to this, but I was browsing the thread and found a good word for this guy in CT, didn't work for Michael but does do a poly refin:
    Florio Guitars – Custom Guitar Works in New England

mtb777 and CTBassGuy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021