1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The real story behind a chinese Rick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belgabass, Nov 3, 2013.

1. I see a lot of threads about chinese ricks but rarely from someone actualy owned one. I have always love the look of a Rickenbaker bass and songs by early Rush and Deep Purple made me want to capture that tone. I never got to play a real one and at $2000 it seemed pricey to just try one. I had seen the fake ones on Tradetang a few years back but was always afraid to take the plunge. One day i saw acouple of videos on youtube of guys playing their chinese Ricks and to my ears it sounded pretty close. So I deciced at $350 shipped ***, I'll take a chance. I decided on the blueburst, entered my credit card info and voila. Took a couple of days for them to collect the money, a day later I got a tracking # so I thought wow this might actualy work. Well the tracking number did not work, messages back and forth and the guy tells me sorry but they are still building your bass ( the add said the pic is of the actual bass you are buying, BS). I started panicking then he sends me a message , you can pick a black or wood one...(jetglo or mapleglo). I told him alright send me the black one. To make a long story short, I was a mess, checking my email every couple of hours to see any progress. The website said I should have the bass in ten days, it took threatening emails on my part but finally a month later the Jetglo got here. I think I aged 5 years over it, worying and stressing. Opened the box and sure enough it looks like a rick, beautiful bass ( except for the pick guard, looked like a five year old cut it) The set up was horrible, but after some tweeking of the truss rod and the bridge I sat down and plugged in. To my ears, sounded close to what Ithink a 4001 sounds like. I ordered a replacement pickguard from pickguardian, put it on and brought it to practice. The guys in the band were drooling, telling me how great it looked. My main bass is a Fender Precision MIJ, we play classic rock covers and my plan was to switch back and forth between the two basses. Well they sounded so different that to make it work I had to constantly tweak the EQ on my amp everytime I switched. Pain in the ass, so after the first gig, where the chinese Rick sat on the stand looking good, I decided what's the point. So I put an ad on craigslist (being very clear it was a copy not the real thing) and waited. The ad said trades welcome, next day message from a guy with a Yamaha BB614. We met up I , he looked at the rick copy, loved it. I put my hands on the Yamaha, loved it. We shook on it and voila the story of my chinese Rick copy is over. I'm glad I tried it so now I dont have to wonder.....

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    You don't have to pay $2000. I picked up my last to Ricks for a prices between $1400 and $1100.

3. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    No pictures/videos?..

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I'd say you lucked out. You couldn't give me one of those fakers. I hear the old Ibanez' were sweet.

5. I tried but I can't seem to load pics.

6. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah I wouldnt buy one of those Chinese fakers, I would look around for an old Ibanez or other exact replica from the 70s. Luckily, I have a beautiful real 4003 FireGlo =)

7. All in all it turned out great for me , I wouldnt have considered a Yamaha BB614 but it turns out it a great bass. The neck feels awesome....

8. I actually saw a badly beat 80's 4001 for $500 on Craigslist, a while back. Didn't last a day. I've seen a couple of others for $800, equally beat up... If you keep your feelers out, you can grab the real thing, cheap, once in a while. Personally, I'd rather have one of these over a mint Ibanez.

9. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have one of the Chinese Rics in Jetglo and my story is the exact opposite. The one difference is that it was bought through aliexpress.com. It was $305 shipped and got here in about ten days. There was no problem at all with the transaction and the communication was easy. Does it sound exactly like a Ric? No...but it's pretty close. I didn't expect it to be exact. The only problem it had was the pickup wiring was incorrect. So, while I had it apart, I replaced the pots, capacitors, and pickup selector switch with better quality parts. I wired it according the the Duncan specs and got the Ric-O-Sound jack working as well. I set it up and put on a set a D'Addario Chromes. It really needed the setup and it plays great!
    I'm happy!

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Score in Yammy BB614 though! I had one and was a very nice bass., very ballsy!

11. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Maybe a five year old did cut it.

12. Interesting. I have always wanted a fake ric. Mainly because A) it`s cheap, and B) I wouldn`t feel bad about modifying it extensively since it is a fake. I may still get on one day.

-Jake

13. chinese ones may be bad but the old japanese ones from the 80s are brilliant.

14. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Please don't encourage those thieves.

15. antonspon

antonspon

Mar 27, 2013
    I'll second that. Fake is fraud. :scowl::spit:

16. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Way back in the early eighties I had one of the Ibanez bolt on copies. Maybe the neck thru ones are good but I really disliked mine. Sounded nothing like a Ric and the neck shifted on it constantly. I dont miss it.

17. That is actually what has stopped me so far. Not that something like that would likely ever leave my hands. It wouldn`t be such a big issue for me if they just copied expensive or hard to find instruments, but they copy just about everything from what I have seen.