1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Reverend Club (part 8)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Got my first Rev bass yesterday, a new Thundergun....ill post a review once I've had it a while longer, used it in a few situations, etc. Love it so far though, different than what i'm used to, but in a good way. Quick question, this is really my first non bolt-on neck in quite a while, and I can hear a difference. The fundamental tone of the bass seems thicker in the low and low mids, more resonant and sustain....while the bolt-on would have more high end sizzle and/or upper mid snap. Is this an adequate description of set neck vs bolt on, the Thundergun itself or both?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    lildrgn and GitmoMango like this.
  2. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Chris, what's your opinion of the Sentinel? Have you had a chance to try it yet? I'm thinking of ordering one soon.

3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've had mine for 2 weeks now and have yet to play with the band. I haven't played with my mates since early Nov! Looking to change that on Thursday and the TG will be riding shotgun. Can't wait to try it out. If it has as much attitude as it does with a dry signal and me just noodling around, I think it will be great at band volume in a live setting. Can't wait!

Sodbuster, BeauZooka and FirewalZ like this.
  4. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Ugh......I'm so not the person to answer this! I'm not a fan of short scale basses, and I hate the look of pbass style pickups! That being said, I like it better than either Wattplower. The 3way selector tone options are far more different, and more noticeable than the Watt.

5. annewashburnfan

annewashburnfan

Jan 2, 2020
    She's here!! Can I get a #?

Attached Files:

zbigniew, jmbjandfam, dannnnn and 4 others like this.
  6. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    What an odd thing to hate.

7. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Thanks for your honesty. Hopefully we’ll get to see a demo soon on FB live.

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I know! It just looks so...... empty? These two tiny little pickups, and all this wood! It’s like a one window room with nothing on the other walls. No clock, no pictures......

9. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Order placed for this earlier today. It's gonna be a long 3-4 week wait:

Reverend Sentinel metallic alpine 1.jpg

emjazz, tombowlus, Turtle71 and 8 others like this.
  10. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Picked this up the other day. All I can say is Holy $#&! this bass sounds sweet! It came with these black strings on it, what are they?
    Not a flat wound fan, what round wound strings do you recommend for these? Thanks
    53C24B38-37E8-4E26-8869-1A22059F1535.jpeg F9A9444C-E878-4477-8018-AF4DBD5C3955.jpeg 3030CAE6-EA6A-4E4A-AC6F-0F8E79284521.jpeg 1A7EF49C-DCD5-4185-917D-A41A640B6C6B.jpeg

11. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Looks great.
    I used DR Fat Beams on my two Reverends. I think they're 45.100s. Feel good and sound mighty

pisces_bass likes this.
  12. pisces_bass

pisces_bass

Jun 8, 2019
    Central WA
    Nice find! I will pick one up at some point. Looks like maybe tapewound strings?

If you want rounds, I have DR Fatbeams on my 4 string Justice and they sound great.

13. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    Thanks for the reply’s. So two votes DR Fatbeams, I’ll have to check those out.
    From my research it’s one of the earlier Mercalli’s, 2011 I believe. I guess they don’t make them with the block inlays and binding anymore, too bad.

14. twinfallsbass

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I wish they made the Triad’s in 5-string

Turtle71 likes this.
  15. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Put the new TG through it's paces the other night. Always the weird feeling out period for the first song or two, battling with volume, EQ, guitar knobs, etc. But a few songs in, I started to really dig the sound of it.

Super aggressive, a lot of variety when adjusting the blend and/or tone knobs. I think the pickups might be a little high or the action is a bit too low; there was a lot of clanking noises if I dug in too hard. Or maybe I need to lighten the attack.

I also thought the notes on the G string, especially past the 5th fret, sounded a little thin in the moment. It almost sounded like I stopped playing for a minute. But on playback, it didn't sound bad.

I'm starting to think maybe it's my hearing or something; I seem to always have an issue with all my basses and the G string notes. Unless someone has a magic trick to thicken up the sound?

Overall, looking forward to getting a few more practices under my belt with the TG. A way better bass for me than the Lakland Decade it replaced. Can see the TG getting some run at shows for sure.

pisces_bass and Sodbuster like this.
  16. I like the Rotosound Swingbass 66s on mine, in either stainless for aggressive tones or nickel if I want something a bit smoother. Used to use DR low riders, but had issues of longevity.

twinfallsbass likes this.
  17. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I recently took my new Thundergun to its first rehearsal with one group and a gig with the other. I'm still waiting before i post a detailed review. Being used to Fenders and Fender necks, It did take me some time to adjust and get the set up I like, neck, action, and pickup height(still a WIP). I threw on a set of DR Sunbeams, my usual goto brand that i love on P's and my Stingray. However they may not be the best for me on this bass, time and experimenting will tell. For me the string volume and tone was pretty even across the neck, noticeably better than my P or Stingray, the E string is tighter sounding and the D and G are fuller. So far it plays and sounds great, different than Fenders, but really solid and has its own tone. Strings, pickup height and setup do make a big difference and for me are still a work in progress...which is why im holding off on a more detailed review.

Sodbuster and BeauZooka like this.
  18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Played a Wattplower I the other day. I thought it was one of the best basses I've played. It was incredible. I loved the feel and the sound. Such a great bass. I can't justify the price at this moment, but hope to grab one in the future for sure.

BeauZooka, GregC and Sodbuster like this.
  19. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    This has got me stoked for the Sentinel I have ordered. Ken said in a FB live video a couple of weeks ago that the selector on it does much the same thing as the pickups on the new Wattplower 2.

GregC likes this.
  20. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Hearing Watt play the newer version a couple of months ago sold me on it, three solid and definable tones. Can't go wrong with the Sentinel or Watt II

sPiKi likes this.