Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Royal Scam

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Sep 30, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It started one day when I heard those late summer bugs. The ones that have that continual reedy sound...like crickets but more sustained.

Then I heard that song..."The Royal Scam", and there's that reedy sounding keyboard throughout the song.

So I go get a Steely Dan collection, being too cheap to buy the whole catalogue. None feature "The Royal Scam" so for another $1.00 I get the album on vinyl. (I'll buy that for a Dollar!)

I musta heard all of these songs a kazillion times when Steely Dan was "gold" on the radio and yet it struck me (only now it seems) how well crafted these recordings are...So well played, entirely POP, with sophistication. (I reminisce...)

I don't even know who the musicians are, but they're good.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dude, Steely Dan is life. The rest is just insignificant stuff!
    They had many first call musos play for them. Players like Chuck Rainey, Bernie Purdie, Skunk Baxter, Cornelious Bumpus (RIP), etc.

3. P. Aaron

It would be quite an education to watch these guys lay down studio tracks y'know?

What passes for "pop" these days after what used to be...it hurts.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Aint that the truth!!! Maybe I'm just old :eek:

5. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    "Sign In Stranger" "The Fez" "Everything You Did" .... sighhhh

I can't recall how many times I have copied (legally) "Gaucho" and "The Royal Scam" ... CD's tend to melt here in Alabama!

Honorable mention the the album "Aja" ... learning "Home At Last" and "I Got the News" presently... I'm such a Steely Dan fanatic!

Oops.. I got sidetracked... yes.. Steely Dan, old and new, examplify studio recording. Tight and loose at the same time... awesome stuff...

BTW, I saw the Glass City All-Stars in Toledo, OH a few years back and they all but nailed every Steely Dan/Donald Fagen song I requested. Guess that's why they are a tribute band, huh?

Great stuff...

6. I believe those bugs are called cicadas...all over the place in texas.

7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Don't forget Larry Carlton, I know he's only a guitar player, but, "Don't Take Me Alive" is still great.

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Check out Chuck Rainey's groove on "Kid Charlemagne". Learning that one will keep you busy for weeks!

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Dude, Didn't I try to tell you that a couple of months ago? Listen to the Burk :D They are among my all time favorite Rock groups

10. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I love that talk box solo on Haitian Divorce...BTW get the "Citizen" box set. Definitely worth it for hardcore fans.

11. P. Aaron

I've always dug the music, and I heard the songs many, many times. But only recently have I taken to really listening to them and realizing all that went into putting them together.

The craziest thing about a well done song(s)...there's so much to them, and if they're well done, the details can seem so subtle, one can miss them.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out the making of AJA DVD :cool:

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1

14. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    For those of you gentlemen who haven't heard it, may I also recommend the Dan's 2000 comeback album "Two Against Nature". It's all there: fabulous songwriting, beautiful charts, super grooves, great humor, incredible playing. Chris Potter's extended tenor solo on "West Of Hollywood" brings tears to my eyes every time. And I'm still working on Tom Barney's bass part on "Gaslighting Abbie". This is a record that's been on our band boombox in hotel rooms after just about every gig for the last few years. I must've heard it close to a hundred times, and it never fails to move the spirit.

15. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    quality quality quality - they don't come classier and better crafted than Steely Dan

one thing i've found is that there's no other band to touch Steely Dan for having records you put on at any time of the day for any mood you 're in... their music just fits no matter what... on balance I probably love Frank Zappa's music more than Donald & Walter's, but there has to be a specific time and a place for Frank... the Dan just work 24/7 :)

purrrrrfection :)

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    SD has always been way ahead of the curve as far as production. I know they obsess over everything but it shows in the final product. Everything sits perfectly in the mix.

17. P. Aaron

Bein' idealistic in wishing today's POP would grow up into something a little less insulting.

Still waitin', but no luck.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's actually a lot of decent Pop-type music out there... it's just not as popular as the bigger mainstream stuff and it's a little harder to find.

19. We cover that one. Amazing bass line, it was a bass lesson just learning the song.

20. Heard Becker/Fagan spent over two years in the studio on one album and got themselves into some pretty serious personal debt. Incredible. Great creators backed by the best studio guys around.