The Short-Scale Six-String Club Part 2- for the original six-string basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 14, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    A new thread!

3. Wow I am so proud of this thread! It has outgrown the larval stage!!!

4. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Five more threads to go! :D :bassist:

5. karmablock

karmablock

Sep 13, 2008
    Where can you get a template for a Bass VI or EB-6 (SG shape) body?

6. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Someone at OffsetGuitars.com might know.

7. karmablock

karmablock

Sep 13, 2008
    I'm getting a blank page when I go there.

8. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
  9. kidgloves2

kidgloves2

Mar 27, 2006
    I started a petition over at the official Fender message board to reissue the bass vi. I'll take one from either their America, Mexico or asian factories. If we get enough interest over there, maybe they might just make it and hopefully more affordable than their custom shop. Btw, the custom shop doesn't make it any more.

Please help. :bawl:

Linky:

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29494

10. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi kidgloves2.

I tried, but didn't join the Fender forums just now due to F's invasive registration procedure. I HATE being 'data-mined'. :eyebrow:

--------

Plenty of the folks at OffsetGuitars.com have built their own Bass VI's out of bodies & necks made-to-order by USA Custom Guitar, and genuine MIA Fender electronics & hardware supplied by Angela Instruments:

Bass VI "How To" parts guide.

So go on over and make some new friends.

At least no one there will try to subject you to the Internet equivalent of a cavity search. :eek:

11. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Looking for some overdrive - not necessarily fuzz per se - to liven up the Hellcat VI and add some "grit.". Any pedal suggestions?

12. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    The Custom Shop version really seemed to have generated mixed reviews on the effort though. Didn't seem to be worth the money. That said, I did not personally try one. It would be great if they made "the real thing" though.

13. Can somebody give me an idea of the actual size of the bass VI body? I know it's bigger than a jag, but how big is it in comparison to a jazz bass body?

14. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    A VI's a$$ is about as wide as a J's, but its horns are shorter.

BTW. In a pinch, nearly any case or gig bag that'll fit a J will fit a 'VI (with length to spare).

15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Have you tried a VT Bass?

The VT can make my MIJ Fender VI sound like a cross between a grinding Jazz Bass and a snarling Strat.

But best of all are the clean tones and subtle tube-ish compression which beef up a 'VI's bottom and tame pick attacks.

If you play your Hellcat VI in more of a guitar role then one of Tech 21's other Character Series pedals/amp simulators might be a better fit.

--------

EDIT:

I forgot the reverb! IMO no 'VI's sound is complete without it! :)

**I like the bass-shy, bright plate reverb (mono or stereo) the Alesis NanoVerb delivers. *I've had mine for twelve years now and it still sounds good.

*EDIT: It just started acting up and now will only deliver three effects. :eyebrow: Oh well... Now I have an excuse to check out the Boss FRV! :D

Another 'verb worth a test drive is the Boss/Fender collaboration, the FRV-1 which allegedly comes close to the sound of a Fender spring reverb (this is a mono only device).

**BTW. An electric instrument can be plugged directly into the NanoVerb and its adjustable output has enough gain to drive the inputs of a mono or stereo power amp and thus it can serve as an emergency pre-amp.

16. I've just been staring at my j basses here lately and thinking about how similar the two styles are. If the lower horn were shortened on a j bass like a bass VI, it would be really close. I think the J shape would look really good as VI it'self. It looks like the front of the VI is a little narrower also. Do you own both instruments? Any idea how close they are in length?

17. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    I haven't owned both at the same time. I got rid of a tobacco sunburst & rosewood 'board J in '94 and then I got my 'VI in '96.

The folks at OffsetGuitars.com would know more since they regard the Jazz Bass as being another offset instrument.

18. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, probably going to try a VT Bass. Sounds - literally - like it might fit my needs quite well. For reverb I currently use a Boss DD-3. Can get slapback as well as longer delays. I really don't really need that plate/spring-type reverb effect. I'm more of a delay person. Fits my style (such as it is) quite well.

Also, what settings do you use for your VT?

19. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004
    I use a custom tube screamer based overdrive that I built specifically for my Hellcat..works better than others I have tried if all you want is grit (and not shred or fuzz...). Gives me the ability to cut bottom when I don't want it and...not cut bottom when I do want it. Has a great range from "slightly driven tube amp" to "heavy dirt." But I'm not selling mine...might consider doing a few "one-offs" if there was enough interest.

For echo I use a Malekko Heavy Industry Echo 600 Bright (sounds awesome for analog delay) and a custom echo called "Rabbit Holes" (building 6 of these altogether, 2 are sold right now) which is killer for spacey stuff.

I'll be totally honest and say that unless Fender decided to release the Bass VI at a reasonable price point (or a tiered price point like the Mexican, Japanese, American Teles/Strats) then I wouldn't even consider one. If I have $3k to spend on a guitar (which for the record, I don't and never have) then I want it to be "ground up" custom like from one of the specialty luthiers that make VIs, not a sub-par "custom shop" guitar (or so I've read, I've never owned or played one). Reasonable price for a new Fender Bass VI...I don't think I could justify more than maybe $1200 for one, and only if its better than the other options available? Why can't they make one that's $900 like the "Player" Jazzmaster? Well I know that its a obscure instrument...but maybe more people would play one if the cost of entry was less. Hell I'd buy a Squier Bass VI if it wasn't too cheesy. But I don't think the Bass VI is a big money maker for Fender so the odds of getting an affordable one out of them are slim to none.

But as far as cheap options go, the Schecter is good enough for me for now, and we'll see when the Agile VI arrives..

20. kidgloves2

kidgloves2

Mar 27, 2006
    Thanks for the support kslight. I don't see how Fender couldn't release an affordable bass vi. I bought an American strat last year for $950 brand new. I also bought a Mustang Bass brand new for $500. They are more than capable of keeping a bass vi under $1200.

Thanks again. And if anyone wants to get on Fender's case, you can sign the petition @

http://www.fender.com/community/foru...ic.php?t=29494

Just say that you want it. And say what you would like to see Fender do with it.

Thanks again

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.