The Short-Scale Six-String Club Part 3 - for the original six-string basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, May 18, 2010.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  2. Huzzah! We've made it to part three!! Part two saw the release of the Agile bass VI instruments, what will happen in part three? A Squier VI maybe?

3. I (among everyone else) can hope.:D

4. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    I'll tell you what we'll see...
    IMG_0865.gif
    IMG_0864.gif
    Yeah, that's right. The nut on my Argus just cracked off under the low E! What the crap?! The E wasn't even up to tension! It just snapped off!
    I purchased the bass on the 18'th of last month and recieved it on either the 22nd or 23rd. It's now 30 days from the initial purchase and this happens. Can anything be done. I really like the bass. I honestly did nothing to provoke this. The low E and A were both tuned down 2 steps (don't ask, it's a weird tuning I've been dinking with). Can Kurt help me. I just sent an Email.

5. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004
    I have had mine strung E-E since when they were released...December? My nut is still fine. Did you adjust the truss rod when you switched strings? Did you do any filing to the nut when you switched strings? I believe the only sane option is to replace the nut...not worth trying to repair the current one. Nuts are cheap. If you haven't taken the guitar in to a tech I'd say do it and have them give you a proper setup at the same time.

That said I imagine Kurt would be more than willing to send you a replacement nut or possibly reimburse you for the nut job...just email him.

6. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    How should I go about finding the correct nut to use. The width should be 1.75" correct? Do I just get a guitar nut of this width. Heck, I don't even know where to begin.

I can take it in to my local guy, but I'm sure it's going to be expensive:meh: (However, the distance to drive to get to a less expensive guy would be cancelled out by gas, literally, no joke; I live in the sticks.) Is the nut just glued into place? I suppose he would just widen the string slots to fit the larger Bass VI strings.

Sorry, just annoyed and new to having to deal with reaplacing parts on my instruments, been kind of blessed for a long time in that respect.

7. Nut repair isn't that expensive. It's usually pretty easy to do. Hell I had a nut break just like that (except on the other edge of the neck) on my Hondo Ric copy, and I just rummaged through the misc. nuts at a mom & pop music shop, found one that was close in size and shape, and replaced the whole thing. Just had to file the slots a bit and then used pliers to remove the old one and super glued the new one in.

If the nut is just cheap plastic you might want to have your local guy replace it with something like a GraphTech nut. There will be a lot less friction from the strings and it will stay in tune better.

8. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004
    Argus LPB B Stock posted!

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi llamalor2112.

Just read through a few links to see what is involved in changing a guitar's nut (they're usually held in place by a small amount of glue which can be softened with an electric hair dryer for easy removal) before you decide to do the job yourself, or take it to a pro.

How to replace a guitar's nut.

If you do the job yourself you'll need a rat tail file whose point is fine enough to do the high E slot and whose butt is big enough for a low E string.

Please take it slow and easy on the filing in order to avoid removing too much material and/or filing crooked slots (you'd have to start over).

BTW a composite bone nut blank is better than one made of ABS plastic.

The allegedly self-lubricating Graph Tech BLACK TUSQ XL would offer the closest colour match to the original nut.

If the nut broke on my MIJ Fender VI I'd only tackle doing a replacement myself if I couldn't take it to an experienced pro. These days I'd rather :bassist: 'em than fix 'em.

10. I got an e-mail from Elderly today saying they finally shipped out my Hellcat VI flats via Priority Mail...

11. hellboy

hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    Cool. Still no sign of the roundwounds on their site.

12. kslight

kslight

Jun 21, 2004
    Working on a remix for a brand new project of a high profile artist featuring both six's....not sure when it will get released publicly but I should be done and back in his hands by the end of the week. Possible first commercial recording of the Argus? Will post a link to iTunes when it is available... This is very exciting for me as although I've done several commercial remixes in the past, this one has the chance of getting very high exposure...versus for no name bands that might get played at some crappy goth night at a bar.

BTW..new favorite mic for bass vi through guitar amp... AKG D112.

13. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Just picked the Barracuda up after a set-up and fit with Fender Bass VI roundwounds. The Hellcat VI LaBella's don't work as we had thought. Let me know if these were the angles you were looking for John. If not, let me know what you want.

http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/...-Up with Bass VI Strings/?albumview=slideshow

Will post later about results of the set-up. Initial reaction...FANTASTIC! RESULTS EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS!

14. Wow it looks like from your pics that your strings are a lot closer to your bridge pickup than I could get mine, but I may be wrong. How far away would you say they are?

15. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm really bad, bad, bad at this type of estimation and all I have is a crude ruler, but I'd say 1/4" to 1/3" from the top of the bridge pup to the string. The tech removed the springs to achieve this - thanks for the suggestion.

16. I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home to see what the distance is

17. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Dire, How exactly does the push/pull work in terms of function? Thanks!

18. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks for the info! They were waiting to ship mine to me until a set of stainless rounds I also had on order arrived. They aren't in yet so they will send me the flats.

Anyway, for all those interested, they do have some more flats in stock.

19. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    ------RE: The Broken Nut Tale
    What do you think I should go with? I have the option of having a bone or brass nut made for me or having a replacement of the original graph nut from Agile.

20. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Well, depends if you think the original Agile nut was a one time defective part OR was just of overall inferior quality. Me? I wouldn't go with the Agile replacement. On guitars sold that inexpensively corners (cost-wise) need to be cut somewhere. Not a slam on Rondo - just a business reality given their low cost model. To my knowledge I don't think they operate as a non-profit.

I know the Rondo-cultists will flame me but..I'd go with a non-Rondo option like custom-made bone. In the end you typically get what you pay for.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.