Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sorcerer

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Hey everybody, thanks for the help with the bass case. It just goes to show Talkbass people are the nicest people. Anyways, I'm playing with a jazz trio with guitar, bass, drums and we play just about anything from straight ahead standards to some pretty heavy stuff. It is a lot of fun and a great experiance with the guitar a drums being very skilled musicians far beyond myself so I get to pick up a lot. So right now they want to work up Herbie Hancock's The Sorcerer. This is a tough song and is honestly way past me. But just so I can get to working on "expanding my mind" what would you guys suggest for playing stuff? I don't have the original recording but I do have Herbie and Michael Brecker with John Patitucci. John is sometimes playing real loose and sometimes he is laying it down walking. But since there is just guitar and bass for the harmonic stuff what would you guys suggest? They want to keep it kinda free so I'm not sure if just walking a line would be a great idea. So I'm at a loss. Any advice will help at this point. Thanks

2. Learn the melody and sing it while you play,and play what feels natural...it is always a good place to start.