Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The SWR Big Bertha 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jul 25, 2005.

1. I am very curious about the SWR Big Bertha. I love the sound of 2x15's, and have always been very wary of SWR gear because of my fear of Hi-fi, trebly sound and finger noise, but I don't know how true that is, because that's from word of mouth. I have not tried a lot of SWR gear, but I plan on doing so as there's a 350X and a Goliath Junior down at my local GC.

Anyways, what's the Big Bertha like?
    What do you guys run with it, and what kind of sound do you get?
    Can it handle the low B?
    Does anyone have the specs, because SWR took them off their site.
    Post your overall experiences with the Big Bertha.

It certainly looks sweet too.

[​IMG]

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Haven't tried the Big Bertha, but I use to have a Son Of Bertha 1X15 I liked a lot. It sounded huge for its size, nice and full without being rumbly, handled a low B very well. I don't like SWR tweeters so I ran mine with it almost off. I used it with a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400, Eden WT-400, and GK 400RB.

To my ears the SOB is clear and punchy without the mid scoop of SWR's 10"-loaded cabs (I also had a Goliath III Jr. 2x10), and is my favorite of all the SWR cabs. I imagine the Big Bertha sounds twice as good.

3. Boom Belly

Boom Belly

Jul 20, 2005
    I have never played the Big Bertha, but I have the Son of Bertha and a Goliath III Jr and they are excellent.

I play very aggressive and have no problem with clicking or
    fret buzz.

4. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    My bass intructor has the big bertha. That this is loud and low. Im not sure about the whole hi-fi thing, but it sounds awesome. If portability isnt an issue, id go for it. I dont find the sound muffled at all too with the 2 15's. check out the eden 215-xlt or the bergie nv215 to compare.

5. The Eden is amaing and that's probably what I'll end up with, but after I get a job and get all my ducks in a row gear-wise I'd like to do a 2x15 comparo.

6. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i love swr, all i can say, especially the 15s. but get one fast, the big bertha's been discontinued.

10cc likes this.
  7. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    I had one of these in my church rig for many years. I typically attenuated the tweeter a bit, as it just didn't sound that sporty when tweaked to my ears. Easily handled big power loads and reproduced lower notes on B strings just fine---but I sold it to the other bass player once I got my ELF Bag End setup though...

Some of the reviews on some of the other sites ( BGRA.net and Harmony central ) diss this cabinet as a one trick pony, soundwise---worked great for me in the Gospel setting; wouldn't have hesitated to use it in a large room secular gig, either.

RC

8. I've been using one as my main cab for the past 3 years or so. I absolutely love it! It's 115 pounds, but it's easier for me to load into my station wagon than the 92 pound Goliath II. I love the tone, and I never use the tweeter. I don't know about "one trick pony" but it does everything I need from it.

[​IMG]

10cc likes this.
  9. I just saw this from the other thread...

I've run SWR, Seymour Duncan, Mesa, Hartke and Trace Elliot heads through this cab- they all sound good. The 15" drivers SWR use(d?) are my favorite bass speakers.

10. Ok sweet guys thanks a lot.

More opinions would be appreciated!

11. I own this cab..........holy crap it rocks so hard, sounds almost as good as my full stack, so close infact that for any show where space is a issue I dont even complain, normally Ill use a ampeg 4x10 and a 18 via a 500 watt mark bass..........so freakin loud. one tiny point, idk if its the cab or the amp, but i cant crack the mark bass to full capacity, the speakers start to blow, cabs ratted at 700 watts 4ohm yet still, and it has the stock speakers, at slightly lower volumes, still loud enough to peel paint mind you, it sound amazing a deffinate buy I f you can find one

12. I own this cab..........holy crap it rocks so hard, sounds almost as good as my full stack, so close infact that for any show where space is a issue I dont even complain, normally Ill use a ampeg 4x10 and a 18 via a 500 watt mark bass..........so freakin loud. one tiny point, idk if its the cab or the amp, but i cant crack the mark bass to full capacity, the speakers start to blow, cabs ratted at 700 watts 4ohm yet still, and it has the stock speakers, at slightly lower volumes, still loud enough to peel paint mind you, it sound amazing a deffinate buy I f you can find one

heres how it looks
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ReadNotReed07/SWRBigBertha.jpg

13. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

this looks like a good acba. i still hate tweeters.

14. sorry bout the double post my bowser got all confused on me, theres a ajustable tweeter on mine so it matters not, cuz I hate tweeters to, i cant seem to keep from blowin them up on any rig, including the ones a guitar center, :atoz: man they got pissed at me last time

15. MisterBassie

MisterBassie

Sep 1, 2005
    I've used one since back in the 20th century. I replaced the SWR drivers with Eminence neo's a few years ago. Gave up a lot of weight and a little tone. Sounds best to me with a MusicMan HD130....kinda like a Dual Showman on steroids. Just got a TCelectronics RH450 to replace a Walkabout Scout head. Sounds nice, but would probably sound nicer without the blown tweeter.

What's a good 2x15" bass cab?

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Turn tweet down to just barely on and your tonal concerns will disappear.

10cc likes this.
  17. doctorgonedon

doctorgonedon

Jan 27, 2008
    Yeah, I use Bertha with a 210 Working Pro top, biamp and xover at 400Hz (300 for less power, more punch) single space 1400W amp, Ampeg SVP Pro, it's tons of speaker, best rock stack ever.

I used 15's only in the day, but hazard not to try that again as you really need something to round out the top.

I turn the horn off on the Bertha (as it's rolled off in xover anyway) and 50% on the top, knowing that I'm boosting the capability of the 210 by high-passing anyway....those things are 200W only, but when you shoot 300Hz+ only at them, they get:help: pretty loud.

Good choice on Bertha:hyper:

18. Cutlass350

Cutlass350

Dec 23, 2013
    Hi there. Just found this site. I own 2 Big Bertha cabs. They are powered by a QSC 3402 power amp, EBS preamp gets the tones. I use WARWICK Basses. Great tone from these cabs! Low B is Solid! At 700 w. Rms,.....it blows down the house!

10cc likes this.
  19. Cutlass350

Cutlass350

Dec 23, 2013
    Hi There.

I was going to post a really stupid newb post but the mod decided not to let me break the TB rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015