1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The transition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Quack, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Quack

Quack

Nov 2, 2012
    Hi!
    (I hope this is in the right forum and i'm sorry if not)

I play electric bass and now's the time to learn the upright.
    I'm going back and forth between electric upright and acoustic upright. :help:

I play a lot of different genres and I would like to incorporate the double bass to my music both low down hip hop bass to the more melodic folk/jazz stuff that I work with. I would like to have a bass with quite fast and low action because of some damage in my left hand.

My budget is around 3000$ but in Sweden does everything cost a lot more so there is the choice between a good eub(ns designs better series) or a Thomann double bass the Strunal thing.

So here's a pros/cons list I've made based on my prejudices.

Pros Eub:
    It is easier to carry and store. (I mainly travel by train and bus)
    More weather resistance?
    Better build quality for less $?
    Already built in preamp/pick-ups.
    I think they look nice.
    Easier to set up?

Cons:
    It doesn't have the "real" reference point's.
    It doesn't sound exactly like an acoustic.
    (Both those I can live with because I'm not used to the urb)
    The "producer's" eye might not like the Eub, "what's that?", "It doesn't sound right"
    (but if it was on a record they most likely wouldn't hear the difference)
    With other word's, it doesn't have the looks.

Pros Urb:
    It got the feel. (The reference points and a vibrating body)
    It got the sound.
    It got the looks.

Cons:
    Could break cause of the weather (i use to go between dry and humid places and often between -20 to +20 degrees Celsius from outside to inside)
    It is bulky!
    The quality bases comes with a REALLY high price tag.
    You got to buy a good pick-up system

Buying the right acoustic seems to be a really hard task as there is no such thing as "you can never go wrong with a Fender P or J bass", with other words, there is no actual factory standard.

Am I right in my prejudices or is it just nonsense?
    There is really hard to do it the right way (testing and deciding) in Sweden because of the lack of things to try so any experience based input is really valuable input!

This isn't really a "what bass is the best"-thread but if you'll have suggestions of basses I would gladly accept them :)

(please bare with my English)

2. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    I have an Eminence. it sounds amazing and plays great. very portable. check their website out.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you want a red barn, you should paint the barn red. Painting it blue as an interim step is a waste.

4. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    To me it sounds like you are looking for a EUB.
    Having played bass in Canada for a few years now I can attest to the climate/humidity changes going on. As you stated, you haven't really played an UB before so having the reference points won't matter in your learning process although You can get some that have a bit of a body if you like the look. The action and playability has always easier on the EUB I’ve tried. And the portability is something to consider as a UB will get dented and chipped up if you gig with it much. That is just a reality of doorways and loading into cars and people not paying attention and hitting the thing. Unless you are playing in a straight ahead jazz combo or doing some bowing I'd recommend a EUB. IF I could afford one I would get one instead of lugging around my upright to jazz gigs and the signer songwriter stuff.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    How do you know they would still want you?

OP, play the instrument you love the most. I've never heard a recording of an EUB that sounded anything like a DB. The Volante is the only EUB I've heard that does approach the sound, and it is pricey.

Pros Urb:
    It got the feel. (The reference points and a vibrating body)
    It got the sound.
    It got the looks.

There you go, what more do you want?

Cons:
    Could break cause of the weather (i use to go between dry and humid places and often between -20 to +20 degrees Celsius from outside to inside) Talk with some DB players in your part of the world about this. You'll find they deal with it successfully

It is bulky! Yes it is, but you'll get used to dealing with the logistics if you want it bad enough.

The quality bases comes with a REALLY high price tag. You can find quality plys for US $1500. Much less than many EUBs

You got to buy a good pick-up system The pickup system is already figured into the price of an EUB, so you're paying for it one way or another.

You need to listen to more music featuring both instruments to decide on the sound you are looking for. That's the first thing. The rest will fall into place after that.

6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Unless you really want a traditional sound, and it sounds like you don't, I think you'll be happy with an EUB. That said, I have an Eminence and a carved URB and I love the sound of my URB. I play the Eminence when I'm playing a jam or a sketchy gig where I think there might not be room or safety for my URB. No one I've played with has ever complained about the sound of the Eminence - I play jazz - but then few of them are as much of a jazz snob as I am.

7. bssist

bssist

Jun 23, 2007
    St. Louis, MO USA
    As Eric pointed out and Ed so elequently put it, if you are wanting to transition to (or add) upright, just get a real bass and learn it. EUB is not the same thing and will be a waste of $$ in the long run if you really want to end up on a real bass anyway.

There's nothing wrong with EUB but its not the same thing. Decide what you are going for and make it happen. Don't "settle" one way or the other.

If you want something cool yet portable maybe the Chapman Stick is for you. Its kinda like EUB but WAY more versatile and cool (and nobody's trying to disguise it as a real bass).

*All statements contained herein are the opinions of the author and in no way reflect the attitudes of TB or the bass playing community at large. :)

8. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Reading your post, Quack, it seems clear that you'd like an EUB. You think they look nice, and you say you don't mind the difference in sound. But before you proceed, be clear on two things:

1.) You won't be learning the DB by osmosis. Even if you get an EUB with "reference points" that simulate parts of a DB, there's a vast amount of expertise that comes only from physically pulling a sound out of a resonating wooden box.

2.) The musicians, producers and promoters you work with may not be as accepting of the EUB as you are. All those factors of convenience you're citing don't necessarily matter to them: they want an authentic sound and presence on the stage, not some newfangled big stick. You might want to sound the waters first.​

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Go big or go home.

10. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    the Eminence is my favorite EUB. it's actually hollow and has sound post/ bassbar. sounds like a quality upright. fat. warm.

11. Joshua Harrison

Joshua Harrison

Jun 18, 2013
    Chicago
    +1

:)

12. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Chick's dig the big bass. This is a bigger deal than atmospheric conditions.

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Perfect!

14. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    ;)