Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The UNIVERSAL EUB - new to the western world

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by benjbass, Feb 9, 2006.

1. benjbass

benjbass

Jan 14, 2006
    Long Beach, CA
    I just purchased, off the floor at the NAMM show last month, a Universal upright bass. They have been available to the Japanese market for 5 years now, and just introduced to the U.S. at this year's NAMM.

I got the scratch & dent model at a substantial discount. :smug: Took it to my bass luthier/repair guy (Jon Peterson at World of Strings, Long Beach CA) and he is shaping and shaving the neck & fingerboard to (in his words) "make it work." Admittedly the neck is cumbersome compared to the sweet and comfortable action of the Eminence (which is the only EUB that Jon likes and will carry in his store), but I'm hoping that his modifications will set her up nicely, playability is the main concern. I really dig the sound, and aesthetically it's the prettiest EUB I've ever seen, including Her Majesty the Eminence.

I'm trying to upload a photo, but the file's too big!

Anybody else have any experience with the Universal?

benj

2. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    The Universal Co is Korean. I have seen a small acoustic bass of theirs that looks very much like the EUBs sold under names such as Quest MD-Pro, Landscape and Atelier Z CUB.

If we fix the photo I´ll be able to give better information.

Mikael

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Benjbass,

I saw your EUB sitting in a stand at World Of Strings just last week. Very cool looking. I was dying to try it, until I noticed it had a repair tag hanging off the tuning peg! So since it wasn't one that Jon had up for sale I didn't touch it, even though I really wanted too.
    I did try a different model Atlier Z Bass in a music store in Osaka two years ago, not with a body shape like yours, this one had more of a "stick bass" format. It's neck and fingerboard felt kind of clunky to me, but I remember thinking it could be real nice if it had a good set-up. What will a bass like yours list for in the United States?

4. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
  5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    The bass I saw at World Of Strings looks very much like it, had Fishman and the split magnetic pickups and the cut-away. Wish I could have heard it!

6. That exactly what we're looking for in a Eub! How much did it cost? Is it avialable in the states?

7. benjbass

benjbass

Jan 14, 2006
    Long Beach, CA
    Yes, Mikael's link is exactly the same bass as my Universal, and Mike Carr, if you are back at WOS feel free to play it, tell them I said it's okay! I'm just not that precious about instruments, you know?

The Korean salesman at NAMM who worked with me said the list price is $3500, but I got this one for $1000, and Jon's gonna charge me $500 for getting the neck, fingerboard, and bridge in shape. Also the little woodblock that holds the magnetic pickup at the bottom of the fingerboard needs reduced sizing to fit, based on the changes to the fingerboard. Also there was a separation of wood at the seam where the soundboard meets the side, next to the volume/tone knobs and he's gluing that as well.

IF YOU HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY then just go ahead and get the Eminence, for the same money (perhaps a bit less) it truly is much more playable, unless you've got really big hands and enjoy the "baseball bat" kind of feel in a neck... I couldn't resist the savings, and I love the look, but can see where an Eminence would probably save me from future carpal tunnel issues. Also the Universal seems to have a bit more acoustic sound (unamplified) than the Eminence, but I'm not sure that's too terribly important.

I have no idea who is carrying the Universal EUB for distribution in the USA.

On a related side note, do you know, in ALL of L.A. and surrounding areas, there is NO store that carries more than one line of EUB's? Somebody could make a brilliant "go" of it by having several lines under one roof - In My Humble Opinion... I surely was wishing for that store when I was shopping.

peace from pasadena
    benj