The Valenti Megathread Part III

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    YOu guys know the deal, no pics... no bass!!!!!:bassist:

2. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Blueburst.

3. trujo777

trujo777 Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA
    will get pics later. Nino: I am sorry i got addicted to your basses it's not even funny!!!
    #08, #23 and now the Geddy :D:rollno: I know... I got no cure :rollno: :bassist: :D:hyper::bassist::D

4. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's some snaps I took before it went of to Jorge:
    IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg

5. grayta

grayta

Nov 27, 2007
    North Canton, OH
    Love the blocks!

6. trujo777

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA
    thanks Brother Chef!!! ;)
    yeah it is an awesome bass.:D

7. 15556_183025008432_648323432_2774595_2185992_n.jpg

not the best photo but still. Bass sounds great!

8. trujo777

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA
    Nice bass!!
    I remember seeing the pics on the older thread while it was being made!! congrats man!!!

9. Yeah, yeah, she's all purdy and such, but CAN SHE SHAG IT!? :)

Dyin' to hear clips of that bass Jared.

Chef, that Geddy 5 is slick man, real slick. ( wrong pups for me, I would have wheeled it too!)

10. I don't know why this popped in my head, but does someone here still own #008?

2005_02_25001.jpg

I only owned it for about six months, but it still makes me sad that it was just a little bit too big for me to be able to play frequently without hand pain, and that the album I recorded on it never came out. :( What a killer bass...

Nino, I see that you can do 18mm spacing five-strings now, can you also do 1.75" nut widths?

11. Justin Beck

Justin Beck

Jan 27, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Hey all. I am most likely going to be ordering a Valenti in the next couple of weeks. As far as specs go, here is what I'm thinking.

Vintage J 4
    Alder Body
    Maple Neck/Maple Fretboard w/Light Vintage Tint
    Abalone Dot Inlays
    1.5" Nut Width
    Hipshot HB-1 Tuners w/D-tuner on E string
    Hipshot Vintage Bridge w/ 19mm String Spacing
    70's pickup position
    Fiesta Red Finish w/Matching Headstock
    Tort Pickguard

Hopefully it will weigh in about 8.5lbs, but we will have to see.

As far as electronics go, I am having trouble deciding between Nordstrand NJ4's and Basslines SJB-1 pickups paired with either an Aguilar OBP-1 or Sadowsky Preamp, both having a VTC.

So, what say you on the pickups? Nordstrands or Basslines? If Nordstrands, should I go with the 70's wind? Also, what is your preamp suggestion with whatever pickups you suggest?

I am looking for a fat, full, punchy, and even J Bass tone.

Best,
    Justin

PS-Nino recommends NJ4's with the Aggie, but I haven't asked him about the 70's wind.

12. Jason, I picked up #008 from you, gigged it for a bit and wheeled it to Russel.( Trujo 777) WE ALL got a deal on that one. While the neck was contoured by Mike Dolan ( I think), it wasnt as comfortable as my Lakland. It also was humidity sensitive, maybe due to the shaving done. Russel won't have a problem in TX!

Nino must have changed neck suppliers as #067 is even more comfortable than the Lakland.

As for 34" vs 35", man I think dudes like to split hairs to split hairs, as the Bs are identical on the two basses. I do sometimes miss the fret while playing blind in the 1-5 range due to muscle memory playing the 35" for years.

Although I would say for 24 frets, I'd prefer the longer scale. I have a hard time with mandolin spacing in the higher registers.

Acoustically, 067 has an interesting , loud, almost upright sound as opposed to the Lakland. I dig it. To enhance its natural quality, I ordered up some AERO type I's, which will also eliminate the Nordy's mid "bump", which I am now dialing out on the preamp. I prefer my pups to be "flat" as a board, especially if the acoustic sound of the instrument is to my liking.

Valenti 067 deserves the best pups made.

13. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, I had #51 for sale for a while. Then I happened to go back and listen to a recording we made at the 2008 Rock Bottom Music Festival in Denver where I played it all night. It killed. No way I'm giving it up. I'll sell my Stingray instead if I have to...

14. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never liked Stingrays. The only Leo product I've never bonded with.
    Love playing them; they feel great.
    Their tone has just never worked for me.
    Lotsa guys love 'em, YMMV, etc.

15. trujo777

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA

I got #008 and love it.
    I have the Geddy, the 023 and 008 now.
    I love that bass, and the 23 and the Geddy... well.. in other words I love all my Valentis.

I do nto think it is hunmidity sensitive and I like the neck of it even more than my 55-94 Lakland ;)

I like 34 " scale basses. the Lakland is the ONLY 35" I like. no other ones. :(

Also my name is not Rusell is it George ;)

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I like their tone a lot, I like the way they look less. I'm not a real big guy - 5'10"/165 - and big-bodied basses like 'Rays make me look scrawny. More so than I really am, that is.

Anyhow, #51 has won me back. I may experiment with strings to de-brighten it just a touch.

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Another one's done!!!

105e.jpg
    105f.jpg
    105g.jpg
    105h.jpg
    105i.jpg

18. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    wow Nino! well done...that's beautiful!

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    And it's heading my way on Monday. :bassist::bassist::bassist:

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Congrats Jared, your bass has come out beastly, perfect in every way, appearancewise.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.