The Valenti Megathread Part III

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Congo rats on a beaut, sir!

2. 008 was that way ( don't know about the 70's wind). You'll like it.

I'm all over the 70's sound, and as a 5 string player require good flat freq response. I've had both Nordy's and Aero I. Its pretty much unequivocal, and our guitarist agrees, Aeros rule. www.aeroinstrument.com

They'll be a few pennies more than the Nordy's but, hey, they're wound in a Hawaiian Koa forest. :)

My opinion, YMMV! :bassist: No wrong answer here.

YO NINO! That's a BAAAAD mutha bass man. SWEETNESS! That man will be smiling all year, and beyond!

3. trujo777

trujo777 Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA
    008 is a very sweet bass!!! It does have those twin Js and Aggie preamp. I am playing it at church this weekend.
    It is an awesome bass! I like the other ones too, do not get me wrong but if a fire would catch on my house I would grab my Valentis first ;) :)

I am not at home to see the specs so I do not know the pick up placement on mines (#008, the Geddy lee and also #023) thus I can not say go for the 70's or 60's or other pick up placement :(

4. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Looking at the pics on Nino's site, to me eye
    #8 looks like 70's placement

5. Justin Beck

Justin Beck

Jan 27, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Hey buffalobass, sorry I missed your post earlier.

Thanks for the info. I am looking for a bass that can be grunty and has the single coil tone, but with a bit more fullness. I have had a bass with Nordstrand pickups in it before and it was phenomenal sounding, so I am going to go with those.

Everything is going well over in my neck of the woods, so it looks like tomorrow I will be sending my deposit in to Nino.:hyper:

Best,
    Justin

6. Glad to hear all's well in Big Sky country Justin!

7. Justin Beck

Justin Beck

Jan 27, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    Well, I got the money orders out to Nino yesterday, so I guess I am officially waiting on a Valenti. Here are my final specs.

Vintage J4
    Alder Body
    Fiesta Red w/ Matching Headstock
    Maple/Maple Neck w/ Light Vintage Tint
    Abalone Dot Inalys
    1 1/2" Nut Width
    Nordstrand NJ4 Pickups, Normal Wind
    70's Pickup Positions
    Aguilar OBP-1 Preamp w/ VTC
    Brown Tort Pickguard
    Chrome Hardware
    Hipshot Vintage Bridge w/ 19mm string spacing
    Hipshot HB-1 Tuners w/ D-tuner on E string
    Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks
    Hardshell Case

Best,
    Justin

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Congats - that sounds like it will be a killer bass!

9. Looks like things are on the up and up for Nino. Good to see him get some orders in. You guys won't regret what you're going to get. Nino builds great stuff.

10. trujo777

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA
    looks good. I played 008 on church Friday night and it was awesome!!
    I like your specs, the only thing I would change is to make it a 5er :bassist::bassist::D

11. Can't wait to see it Mr. Beck!

trujo77, man, that is exactly where that blue beauty should be, in a house of prayer, not the nasty clubs I was takin' 'er to! :)

12. trujo777

Dec 17, 2007
    Central Texas USA
    Mr. Beck.. here too... can't wait to see it!!!

Buffalobass:..... LOL
    I have cleaned it up .... I guess LOL :) it has repented and turned away from sin now... it can go to bass heaven if it gets destroyed LOL BIG TIME :D:D

13. Justin Beck

Justin Beck

Jan 27, 2007
    Arlington, TX
    I am pretty excited for this bass. I can't wait to see the progress pics, hopefully. Also, it will be nice only having to wait 3-4 months for a bass not 12+ like I have in the past.:cool:

Best,
    Justin

14. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    It's high time that I post up in here. I've been a big fan of Nino's handiwork since #046:

M_Sang_002.jpg

now owned by Chef. And, I might add, ONLY owned by Chef because I couldn't afford to keep it and #100, pictured here:

HPIM8112.jpg

A brief history: #046 was actually built for a friend of mine here in town. He's a four string guy, and actually held onto the bass for about 20 months longer than he might have just because he liked it so much, even though he knew that four was where his heart was. I kept telling him to sell it to me, which he did. Of all the Sadowsky's I've owned, I preferred Valenti #046 - it's that nice.

Then #100 popped up. I felt it fit my needs a bit better (maple board, '70's spacing), but I was still as nervous as could be about letting #046 go. Well, #100 is a real beast, and she's ALIVE. The harmonics jump off the neck, the slap tone is unbelievable, and the fingertone is aggressive, but round at the same time.

The only thing I'd change about it is the weight - I'd ballpark #046 at about 9.5 lbs (never weighed it). #100 is exactly 8.80 lbs, and I wish it had a bit more heft. Put her at the 9.5, and woah nelly... she doesn't quite have the natural low end of #046. The good thing is that the Sadowsky preamp gives me more than what I need there.

Nino's always been great to deal with as well. Even though I didn't commission either of these basses, he's always been prompt to answer my questions.

Gigging his basses is a treat. The real revelation for me was that when Mike (original owner) still had #046, I always found myself borrowing it. During the time he had her, I owned an Atelier Z, an Elrick, and several other basses. But I found myself borrowing the Valenti for the big gigs (events where we'd do everything from "Freddie Freeloader" to "Chameleon" to "I Wish"). That clued me in to something. :D

I had #100 up for sale recently for financial reasons (I thought I wanted to sell #046 a few times for fleeting GAS pains, but could never bring myself to do it...), but spoke to the Mrs. and she agreed that I shouldn't do it, and that we'd work something else out.

So, let me go on the record as saying: Chef, should you decide to move #046, let me know first! Although I don't know how I'd justify it, I would love to have her back rather than have her move on to someone else.

So, kudos, Nino. Keep building great stuff. If I can justify it, I'm going to have you put one (or more) together for me eventually. Fretless 5, maybe. . . Also, can you get heavy ash (for a bass in the 10.5-11 lbs range), or just swamp?

Keep rockin' the Valenti's, boys!

15. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I gigged #46 tonight; man, I'm glad we did that trade because it suits me sooo much better than #100 did.
    #100 is a freakishly great bass, just very much not my flavor.

#46 holds it's own as a complete machine, which in my current stable is really saying alot.
    She's wearing new DA XL170 bright nickels-which I really like and are price friendly to boot-and it's a really fat and aggressive bass.
    The alder-r/w 60's thing suits me and the music I play much better than the 70's ash/maple thing.
    #46 has Sadowsky SC's and Sadowsky preamp; it surprises me that it really is, sonically, substantively different than my Sadowsky RV5-JJ which has the HC pickups. The single coils seem more focused and grindy, and the HC's seem to go both a little lower and a little higher, and seem more hi-fi...

16. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    This matches my experience as well. I always liked the tone of the Sadowsky HC's at home, solo in the bedroom, etc... But on the gig, just a little too much low end and "bloom" for me. The SC's just sit right where I want them in the mix.

Glad you're digging #046 - she's special. But, as I said above, my offer still stands! :bassist:

As an addendum to my above post:

I've owned everything from Fodera to Alleva-Coppolo. I literally prefer Valenti #100 to an RA-5 I owned, cost not withstanding. Just thought I'd toss that out there. . .

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Currently, only 1.875" (1 7/8")

18. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

glad to hear things are working out for you to keep #100. Seeing it in the classifieds was seriously giving me a complex of "what can I hock to get that thing back". It truly is a special bass with a build that is second to none. I'm glad it's staying with with you.

19. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

I'm not a P-Bass guy, but that is HOT!!!!

20. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Jared, out of curiosity, do you have #105 or #106? It isn't in the gallery yet (#104 is the latest one showing), and mine will be #107. Like I said, just curious.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.