Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Warwick Workout...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Ok... I've read a lot of posts about Warwicks being heavy, and I'm started to get confused. Could someone explain to me why people think this of Warwick basses? I have had three of them, and now own a Thumb NT, and I don't think it's heavy at all. For the size of it, yes, it is heavy, but the body is tiny.

Does anyone know if your standard Fender American Jazz is heavier or lighter than a Warwick Thumb? I swear both of my jazz basses are heavier, and when I pick up my Thumb, I feel like I can twirl the thing around.

Maybe I've just had heavy basses all my life, and have no idea what a light one feels like. And I honestly don't think I could tell a two pound difference.

Could someone explain what all this means? There's a lot of knowledeable people here, and I am astounded at the subtleties that many notice on the bass that I have yet to figure out. Thanks.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a thumb NT4 too, and it's my lightest bass. My heaviest being my 12-13 lb alembic.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think it has more to do with balance than real weight. If a bass doesn't balance in a comfortable manner a lot of people will perceive that as being heavy because the weight is hanging off their shoulders or neck instead of being centered more in their back.

4. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Ah ok. So what people are referring to is the neck-dive of the Warwick? I haven't really noticed that much, but it could be due to the position I wear my bass, which is pretty high. If that's the case, I understand. I would guess that the Thumb would have considerable neck dive when you take into consideration the heavy neckwood and the small body.

5. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The NT Warwicks seem to weigh quite a bit more than the BO models, but consider this, a Thumb 4 BO weighs 7.7 pounds. I'm curious how this compares to other popular 4's (Stingray, MIA J or P).

6. The thumb and 'vette I've played were both monstrously heavy.

Heavier than my nine pound Rickenbacker.

7. you LOVE your thumb....

the warwicks lb for lb are heavier instruments then most. I think my 4 string vette weighs in more then my Carvin... if only I had a scale...

8. My 6 string Corvette is damned heavy and there is no getting around it. That's the price of playing an instrument made of dense, rich-sounding tonewoods like bubinga and wenge.

9. My Corvette 5 is heavy! i just got an MTD kingston and i can feel the dif.Still i love my corvette.

10. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a corvette 5 that is quite heavy. This is the picking up weight too, not just the playing angle. Compared to my geddy jazz and my (strangely light for it's year) 78 Pbass, it is MUCH heavier. It is uncomfortable to play four hour gigs with, but I agree that it is the price you pay for that sound.

11. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    yup.

12. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    You get it exactly. Thumbs bass are made to be straped quite high. People who prefer to wear their bass quite low would so find them neck diving.
    Personnaly, I also wear my bass fairly high so Warwick have never cause me any problems.

Shiveringbass

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    My Corvette 4-string is heavier than an alder-bodied 6-string Samick Fairlane I used to own...and the Fairlane had a larger and thicker body. Still, my Corvette doesn't really feel like it's weighing me down thanks to a fairly high strap height and a 3.9" wide padded strap. Still, I can't sling it about like this agathis-bodied Soundgear I keep at my parents' house. That bass is light, but it feels cheaply light. I like the dense feel of my Warwick. It feels solid, like a quality instrument rather than flimsy. Granted, it's possible for an instrument to be light without feeling flimsy, but prior to my 'wick, all I've played were cheapies.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Mine!? :-D

15. dangerwr

dangerwr

Jul 25, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Warwick Thumbs are heavy and do have some neck dive. Wear it high with a wide strap and life is better but harder to look cool!

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    P'sha! No. People who wear their basses lower look dorky.

17. dangerwr

dangerwr

Jul 25, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Whafrodamus,

I guess you are right! If you do not look hunched over while wearing a Thumb now you might when you are old. I'd say that playing my Thumb5 B.O. gives me a physical workout--what's the harm in that?!?

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I am strong like bull!

19. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Streamer LX/6 wideneck. Dang heavy. Oh well, suck it up and play...

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    My warwick thumb 4 BO is kind of heavy, but i can handle it! and im not a big guy..