1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Who new album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by J Gold, Sep 14, 2019.

1. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    FRoss6788 likes this.
  2. FRoss6788

FRoss6788

Mar 25, 2012
    NOT The Who without John.
    Never will be.
    Sad.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Album title "Who's Left"? :(

Matt R, Ferniff, byoung93888 and 49 others like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's not Tommy, and Roger's voice is shot, but I give them props for writing and recording an entire album's worth of songs, rather than one or two new songs, and a bunch of arrangements of old ones. Certainly they could make more money touring and playing the moldy oldies (which is what we like to complain about).

5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I just wrote and deleted a whole post, this says it much better!

Charlzm likes this.
  6. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015
    I Miss Big Johnny Twinkle.

That being said, Pino was dreadful during the first two tours he was with them. The first one it was clear Pino was unfamiliar with the material and seeing we saw them the first show ahter the Hard Rock, I doubt there was a lot of time to even get familiar with the set list.

Because I also play bass I watched Pino, he was moving his fingers, but the lower end of the sound that day was being held down by Kenny "Rabbit" Bundrick. His feet were flying around the B3's pedals.

Personally, I was not a fan of Pino.

BUT, as I went back and listened to the material and the concert, I noticed what might have been the problem.

Pete seemed to be writing like John was still playing, unfortunately Pino is a different type of player, clearly more than competent, just not my flavor.

The last Tour something was different. The Who was cranking on all 12 cylinders. No, Pino isn't John, but he really sounded great.

My theory is Pete is now writing around Pino's style of playing and it shows.

No disrespect to John, but he ain't here, the fans deserve a good show and they were getting it.

Listening to Pino more now.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    dkelley, Winoman and Bob_Ross like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Remember, their first was 1965, their last was 1982, and during that time, they had to deal with all the drug issues, not to mention Moon's death, and Townshend's hearing issues. Yes, it's been over 25 years since their last studio album...

Winoman and elkkid2 like this.
  9. Sounds like a Who song. Definitely not the same without John. Roger has never been known as a fantastic singer, but he can sure carry a tune...

I don`t hate it, but I won`t be buying the album. Kudos to them for keeping their dream alive.

1960jbass likes this.
  10. ellipsis

ellipsis Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    TFW you have low expectations but open your wallet anyway.

I would love to see someone walk up to Roger Daltrey and explain to him that he and Pete Townshend are not entitled to use the name The Who.

Their last studio album was Endless Wire, in 2006. Not 25 years ago, but still quite a long gap!

11. FRoss6788

FRoss6788

Mar 25, 2012
    Pretty positive I never said that.
    TO ME The Who had John and Keith, a very dynamic and left of center rhythm section.
    I'm also fairly certain I'm not alone in my opinion. I've nothing but respect for Roger and Pete, but IMHO, The Who is the four of them.

12. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    forgot about that one. I saw them on their first "farewell tour" in '82.

Guiseppe, sabre79 and onosson like this.
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug it, I'll probably give the new album a shot. I saw them with Pino and I thought they were great, it was different than with John but great in a another way, a little more groove oriented. I can never figure out why people want bands to throw in the towel when faced with age or adversity.
    I was a huge Little Feat back when Lowell George was alive and when they got back together after he died they still killed it. You live long enough in this life and you are faced with 'new normals' a lot, so do artist/bands. You got to just keep on keeping on...…………...;)

timplog, PsyDocHill, Rezdog and 9 others like this.
  14. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You often hear "it's never the same" when a band continues after key players are gone. On the other hand, you often hear that applied even when all they key players are still there - "it was never the same after album x" type of stuff. Just face it, it's never the same either way. The business of Music involves capturing something ephemeral and sublime and transmitting it to others. Very much an "in the moment" thing. It's going to change over time regardless. (Sorry, waxing dime-store-philosophical on a grey Saturday afternoon...) :D

15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

“He was due home yesterday, but he ain’t here...”

16. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    You mention Little Feat. His daughter ( Inara George ) is the bird of The Bird and the Bee - and I happen to be listening to their first CD right now. I bet John E. listened to them also. "Pop'y" but pretty good - especially in its time. She has an angelic voice...

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Subscribed.

Had no idea they were putting out an album. I want to listen but I'm in the gym and they're blasting John Legend.

Cant wait to get out of the gym where John Legend isnt blasting and I can listen to The Who.

Even if it sucks.

18. bt3100fs

bt3100fs

Aug 6, 2013
    NY
    I also saw The Who during the first "farewell tour" in the early 80s (Shea Stadium). It was my first concert.

How many subsequent farewell tours were there? About a dozen? As great a bassist as John was, his spending habits kept the band going back to the well to tour.

Roger: "John ran out of money... AGAIN. How many fur coats and Rolls Royces does one mad need?"

Pete: "I guess its time for ANOTHER farewell tour"

Guiseppe and Ross W. Lovell like this.
  19. ellipsis

ellipsis Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sorry, I didn't intend to put words in your mouth. I think they should have ended the band when Keith died. I guess my point was that Pete and Roger are entitled to use the name for as long as they want to, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Dilver and Mugre like this.
  20. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

When will the Paul+Ringo=Beatles tour happen?

Guiseppe and 1960jbass like this.