Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Working Bassist's Tool kit by Ed Friedland

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gbf, May 19, 2004.

1. Hey guys. I was wondering if this book is worth the money 'cause it's kinda expensive down here where i live. I'm realy interested in it because it covers the subjects that i'm into developing right know such as ear traning and faking tunes.

Please if you have read it give your opinions. Is it worth the money?

Thanks already,
    Gabriel :bassist:

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Anything by Ed Friedland is worth the money.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most of the book is based on articles he wrote for Bass Player magazine.

If you have lots of BP back issues, you may already have most of the book!

Also check his website, because he has some of those articles posted online (for free) including the ear training and "faking it" articles.

Don't tell Ed I tipped you off :D

4. I don't have access to Bass Player Magazine here in Brazil but I've read a lot of his articles including fakin' it and the ear training one. Is the book a copy of those articles or it has more stuff?

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    The book has some more stuff, but lots of it is from Bass Player. The reason I tell my students to buy the book, beside it being a great real-world toolkit, is that it is better to have all the info in one place rather than trying to hunt it down in back issues.

Ed is my hero!
    :hyper: :bassist:

6. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    Ed Firedland is one of the best and easy to understand instructors out there IMO. He's a great player and very concise. Any publication by him is worth it!

7. Metallideth

Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    this is book is a great help, i advise you to buy it :D

8. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I bought this book some time ago. The downside is that I have never had the time to go through the book. My briefly review of the book tells me that it was worth buying. Perhaps this summer vacation will bring me some spare time.

Then I bought the "Building Walking Bass Lines" (Ed's book) and played about 1/3 of this. Great book too if you have to learn the "magic" of walking bass lines... It's hard to find the time to go through books like this but I have learned a lot how to get down to my own walking lines. I will definitly go on with the WBAL-book.

/MrBaloo

9. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    I am a guitarist converting over to bass. I just got this book the other day and it is awesome. Ed Friedland is a great writer who isn't dry and has boring exercises. I think that this book will definently steer me in the right direction...

10. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I really like this book. Some of the exercises on the cd are fantastic, especially the modulation from hell exercise. Good stuff on how to wing it on a gig and find your way through tunes.

11. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    +1

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep. I've read precious little by Mr. Friedland, but if nothing else could convince me to buy anything by him, that article he wrote on "Groove" in the issue of BP with Raphael Saddiq on the cover did it for me.