Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

These pickups annoy me!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Phunky, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm pretty new to bass and the thing that is bothering me is these kind of pickups:

http://www.hangszeraruhaz.hu/images/basszus/yamahabb2004.jpg

What are they called? Anyway... it's just like there is a huge gap when going to the G and D string, and i like when i feel when the pickup beneath you, it is like i can play faster then.... how is it for you?

2. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    It's a precision pickup.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If they annoy you, you can easily trade it in for a bass with jazz pickups (the long skinny bars) or a bass with soapbar pickups.

4. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    is there anybody that agrees with me or what:) i'm kinda not able to change pickups nor bass right now and i was wondering how people with precision-pickups deal with it:p

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I suggest that you practice. Nothing you mentioned can't be fixed with a little practice. You need to learn to move your right hand to other positions. You can gain new sounds by simply moving your plucking hand closer or farther from the bridge.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its best not to even touch the pickup when you are playing as that can cause noise.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Don't be offended, but I think it's mostly in your head. I don't believe that you're actually faster when the pickup is below your plucking fingers or pick.

Now, if you don't like the way they look, that's your prerogative. But they've been around for over 50 years, and they're not going away soon.

Part of the reason they're like that is to allow the D and G strings a separate pickup height adjustment from the E and A.

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Nope, the only reason they are like that is because it was the way Leo separated the coils so he could humbuck the pickups.Remember, the first Fender bass pickup was a single coil pickup. The split pickup was to improve the sound by making it less noisy.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Umm, moved to pickups.

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    That's the genesis of "how it came to be", no doubt. But the separate height adjustment is beneficial to some.

Perhaps I should have started with, "one of the advantages of..." :p

11. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden

it's hard because they are like 00000000000000.5 cm below the string and i don't get any annnoying noise?

12. I can see what you mean. I can feel a difference in how I pluck the strings in relation to pickup height. I don't have a p-bass but as far as i remember the d-g side of the PU is closest to the neck, and I actually think those strings sound better when plucked closer to the neck. So maybe you could alter your technique, and pluck the d and g where the PU is underneath them too. That aside, like someone allready said: basswise you can get used to a lot, so give it some time and practice... :bassist:

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Practice. Practice. Practice.

Ever seen Rocco play the P bass? He's fast. He's very fast.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Practice.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All those 0's in that number dont mean diddly because they are before the decimal. Maybe you meant .00000000005 cm?