Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin (Front to Back) Combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can anyone name some quality combos that are especially thin front-to-back (and not too tall)? I don't mind heavy so much, but I've found it's much harder for me to carry a combo when the center of balance, which is usually where the handle is, is far from my body.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I played through some type of fairly new model Fender 1x15 combo that was very thin front to back. I was concerned it wouldnt be able to put out much sound, but it seemed alright. I wouldnt trust it to fill up a venue (this belonged to a jazz guy) like a deep boxy 1x15.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    My Ashdown MAG300 C-115 is thin. its thinner than a Schroeder 1210 and thats only 16"

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not so much into 15"s anymore, but thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else?

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Nothing smaller than the GK MB150 series. Of course they can only be played at small gigs or used as stage monitors.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Roland Cube 100. Not as thin as the G-K, but less expensive and I think it's louder. I reviewed it at length a couple of months back -- should be easy to find with a search. It's an excellent piece.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm guessing you meant to link to a bass amp, not a guitar one :D I actually had a Carvin PB-200 combo for a long, long time. I liked the thinness of it, but it was also quite tall, which counteracted the good balance. Got tired of how it sounded as well. Thanks though!

Never met a piece of GK gear that I liked the sound of. They're one of the few amp manufacturers that I've gotten to test lots product from.

I'll read some reviews on it-thanks!

Anyone tried an Epifani 1x12 combo and know how well it carries?

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Well, you won't find a combo that powerful, much lighter than that, however it only has a top handle, and I always find that an awkward way to carry something over 30 pounds. At that point I think you would be better off picking up the UL112 seperately and pairing it with the lightweight amp of your choice. Is there any specific reason you are wanting a combo. If you are talking that price point though, you have a lot of options for a lightweight cab and lightweight head.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I already have a pretty lightweight cab/head combo (RBI/QSC PLX1602 on an Avatar 1x12). I'm just looking at combos again because of randomness of where and when I go places with an amp and the ease of just plugging it in. I like my rig a lot, but there are times when it's much easier to just grab a single small unit and be able to move it easily. I take care of my daughter and nephew (toddlers), so multiple trips for anything is often tough, so it's easiest if I can carry something in one hand so the other is free to carry a kid or a bass.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Well, I think your other option, other than the Epifani, is a Markbass product. Like Epifani, but should be quite a bit cheaper. Supposedly they sound pretty nice and are pretty loud too. Looks like it will be a couple of more months until you can get one in the US though.

11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
  12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The Euphonic Audio Wizzy combos are only 12.5 inches deep:
    Wizzy 500: http://www.euphonicaudio.com/2005/products/iamp500c.htm
    Wizzy 200: http://www.euphonicaudio.com/2005/products/iamp200c.htm

And the iAmp 800 combo is still only 15 inches deep:
    http://www.euphonicaudio.com/2005/products/iamp800c.htm

All three of these have side handles on both sides for carry.

Note that the Wizzy cabs that are in the first two amps are 4 ohm cabs. The iAmp 500 combo can take a 2 ohm load, so you can add another Wizzy cab as an extension. The iAmp 200 combo, though, does not, so you have to use a powered cab (or line out into another amp) to extend it. The iAmp 800 will take a 2 ohm load, and it uses the CXL112L cabinet, which is an 8 ohm cab.

Regards,

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Still looking at all of the suggestions so far (the Markbass looks remarkably loud for something so small, although you're right about having to wait for several months to try one out).

Any other suggestions? I'm actually thinking about trying out a GK Microbass (gasp!) again. Maybe my ears have changed over the years :D