Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thin Lizzy fans???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Anyone here a Lizzy fan?? I never hear them mentioned and they are a kick ass hard rock band. Lynott is a pretty good bassist and the guitars............ :bassist: .

Jailbreak may be their most famous album, but Johnny the Fox is my favorite.

They also had alot to do with influencing stoner rock , so you stoner fans gotta give some props.

Any more fans??????

2. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I'm 100% with you on this, thin lizzy were one of the greatest heavy rock bands of all time. Phil Lynott is a great bass player, and their dual lead guitar lines are just brilliant.

The Live and Dangerous album is one of their best, especially "Emerald" and "Are You Ready?".

Massively underrated band in general, lol, you've got me listening to the Jailbreak album very loud now :bassist:

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Phil ROCKED! Bummer he's not with us anymore. One of the first really good bassist/frontmen. Of course, Paul came first, but I mean music that was from MY generation. Jailbreak is an awesome album- we used to do the Cowboy Song and Boys Are Back In Town a few years back. Those songs never failed to get people on the dance floor, and always got massive applause.

4. I got to see them back in the day when Phil was still alive, it was a great show. They blew Nazareth off the stage (which is who they were opening for)

5. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    I still want a black P-bass w/ a chrome pickguard, due to Phil-

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think Thin Lizzy's great. One of the few 70's hard rock groups I can stand (after Queen and Zeppelin). They always got great guitarists and Phil wrote great boogie lines.

I only have Jailbreak and Live and Dangerous, any suggestions on what album to get next are welcome.

7. Johnny the Fox was my next one after those two , it has elements of funk and soul in it, Phil kinda gets more intouch with his black side.
    For Ruthless "sword-gun-glory" heavy rock get Bad Reputation.
    Really anything recorded within a 3 or 4 year radius of Jailbreak is solid gold, that was their prime.
    Avoid Chinatown and Renegade though, their low point, also their last album if you dont like overly cheesy 80sfied rock.

8. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    I love em. I love the intro for Dancing in the Moonlight and Boys are Back In Town.

-Jon

9. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm there!! I loved those guys. Dancin In The Moonlight and Emerald off of the Live and Dangerous album did it for me.

10. one of the 1st bands I remember doing harmony guitars.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    While I think Thin Lizzy's "Emerald" is a great great song, I have to say that Mastodon's cover takes the song to a whole other level. I personally prefer their cover, no disrespect to Phil.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I regularly get into long and involved arguments about how Thin Lizzy, not Black Sabbath, is true ancestor to all subgenres of metal.

Sabbath was essentially a blues band that played with more overdrive. Thin Lizzy had all the elements of a metal act: tight, powerful rythym section, heavy riffs, even the dueling guitar harmonies that are so popular now.

And Phil definately makes the "most under-rated bassists" list in my book.

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Black Rose is another solid record, but Live and Dangerous truly lives up to its name. Phil was really great. I was just listening to some The Best of Gary Moore on the way home with Phil guesting on "Out in the Fields" from 1985's Run for Cover album. Good stuff.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you can find any other albums besides Live and Dangerous, Jailbreak, and Dedication, pick up Nightlife and Bad Reputation. By coincidence I found the Nightlife and Bad Reputation at whatever they're calling the "music" store that is in every mall, but have had no luck at hole in the wall, used places.

15. I really like 'Vagabonds of the Western World', it's an old one before they got the twin guitar stuff goin on.
    But it's a surprisingly different style to their later stuff... It's got 'The Rocker' and 'Whisky...' on it but it really shows Phil's poetic side.
    And the bass is really up front in the mix, back in the days when he played a Ric.
    It seems that when they got the 2 guitarists he took a bit of a backseat as far as his playing went, not so much space to fill... :crying:

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm a big Thin Lizzy fan. They seem to sing a lot about violence though. :D