Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thin necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Oct 26, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    What 5'er bass have you played that has the thinnest neck? I'm thinking Ibanez or mabey a dean custom? Later Joe

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    My SR990 had a really thin neck that I grew really fond of :D The Hoyt fretless 5 I have at the moment also has a thin neck - it's fast!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You've basically got it right. Geddy Lee basses in general are amazing compared to any Ibanez ive ever played though.

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I think Soundgears are thinner than Geddys, but I prefer the Geddy neck really.

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    When "thin" necks are mentioned, does that take more into account width (of the fretboard), thickness/contour of the neck (D shape, C shape, V-shape, thin-flat shape) or both?

Because thickness isn't everything. When I was sampling 6-strings, the Peavy Fury's neck wasn't as thick as that of the Samick Fairlane's, but the Fairlane had a narrower fretboard. So my small hands with skinny fingers felt more comfortable with the narrow fretboard over the thinner profile (though the Fairlane's profile's pretty thin anyway.)

Ibanez has skinny necks, but the profile on them isn't comfortable for me. I find my sixer more comfortable to play than my Ibanez TRB105 5-string. I much prefer Yamaha neck profiles to those of Ibanezes.

So 'thin' doesn't necessarily= more comfortable. Try a bunch of basses to see what works for you and your hands.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The thinnest front-to-back neck I've played is probably the Conklin GT-BD7, particularly around the 12th fret=quite a bit thinner than I cared for actually.

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Aria and some Jackson models. Very thin..........

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Ken Lawrence Brase! Significantly thinner than the MTD, but still VERY stable due to the way it is made.

Dan K.

9. endorka

endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a fairly old (about eight years) Dean six string bass which has a very thin neck. When I say "thin" I mean thin to pinch between fingers and thumb, not the width of the neck itself. It is really nice to play, but a bit unstable; tuning from out of the bag takes three iterations of all the strings before equilibrium is reached. Once there it stays in tune fine though.

10. stubbs

stubbs

Jun 30, 2004
    I now prefer wide (width) necks that are thin between thumb and index finger, they just feel so much more comfortable to me than my 4 string. I was doing stuff on a six that i'd never do on a four, not just because of the B and the high C but I could move around so much faster and easier. Weird huh?

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Peavey Palaedium. Thinnest in every dimension that I've every laid fingers on. :bassist:

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My old Status Energy 5.. Great neck!

13. Michael Adler's 11 string is easily the thinnest neck, fretboard to back of the neck, that I have ever put my hands to. unbelievable!

next thinnest would be any of Greg Campbell's 9 string basses. his Warriors and his Bee signature model. crazy thin!

from the lows,

Stew

14. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    my ibanez soundgear sr400 has a really thin neck which i hate. thats why im trying to sell it!

15. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Soundgear's do have thin necks. The GSR200, like mine, has a slightly wider neck than the others (41 mm at the nut). But the higher-end soundgears are only 38, like the Geddy jazz. (Personally, I'd prefer if my neck were this thin. I like my current neck, but a few things are a stretch that a simple thinner neck would solve.)

16. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    My Modulus Quantum 6 has a very thin neck.

17. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    any more? Mabey a stingray? Thanks Joe

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    It's just me, but after playing thin necks for ten years. 1 1/2
    for 4-string.
    I've gone back to wide necks. 1 3/4 for a 4-string.
    And 1 7/8 for a 5-string.
    19mm is good 20mm is better.
    Can dig in, and just feels and plays better?
    Fat is were it's at!

19. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ

That is what I tell my wife all the time. Later Joe

20. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    :D