Thin-sounding G-string...any cure?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adouglas, Aug 12, 2004.

1. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Every bass I've ever played had a wimpy, thin-sounding G string. It's not so bad in the upper registers, but down low it really annoys me.

Anybody have any suggestions for getting a beefier tone? Perhaps using a heavier-than-normal string for the G? I know guitar players often make up their own sets using non-standard gauges.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I use Rotosound FM66'ers (30-90) on my warwick, and they don't sound thin at all. I think it has to do with your pickups and wood. I had an Ibanez EDB600 previously, and the G and D sounded so thin, twangy, and just plain bad.
  3. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Heheh...heheh...he said "G-string"...heheh :D
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Personally, I don't find a "beefy" G on any bass. You can buy a set of flatwounds in large gauge and add the flatwound G to your roundwounds. Plus, lowering your pup(s) towards the G can round it out some.

Passive pickups are a nice way to go. I used to have a pre-CBS Precision that had a very full-sounding pup at the G end. But when slap came around and became so popular, people loved the brilliance of a roundwound G.

A fine graphic equalizer could help a lot.
  5. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Steinberger XL2: Thin and wimpy, no matter which strings (LaBellas, SITs, etc.). EMG pickups.
    Carvin LB75A, stock pups and electronics: Thin and wimpy.
    Same bass, with Bartolinis and an Aguilar OBP-3: Thin and wimpy.

This seems to be a universal characteristic as far as I can tell. I can't imagine that those basses and electronics, as different as they are, share the same trait by random chance.

When I say "thin and wimpy" I mean specifically that the tone when playing, say, an A at the 2nd fret on the G string is much thinner and more trebly than playing the same note on the D string (7th fret) or the 12-th fret octave on the A string. Do you not find this to be the case?
  6. Stick a piece of kitchen sponge under the string as close to the bridge as possible. The muting effect gives it less twang and more thud.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Use heavy gauge strings. That helps cure the problem for me. Lately though, heavy gauge G strings are not really good for popping...I like a thin trebly string for bite when I pop.
  8. A lot of shop setup their basses (or dont in the case of many) ...necks and stuff like that but one thing they forget to do is.. once uve alterned the neck and things you have to alter the pickup height as this is also a fundemental part of the basses tone...if its to0o far from the strings you will lose attack and clarity..

If you G String is sounding thing i suggest it probably down to (just a lilttel) the pickups height..

or maybe what i said is all cobblers..!! :p
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IME, thin tone from the G string is often a result of scooping mids to get a clear tone from the low strings (note that some bass amps/pedals/etc are scooped even when set "flat"). Restoring/boosting mids somewhere in the 150-300Hz range should provide punch and phatness to the G string.

Use gentle boost if possible... and if you have a full parametric, don't use too narrow of a Q... or else frequency response in the lower register might become uneven.
  10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
  11. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I love that sketch!
  12. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Or just play higher up the neck so that G through about C are played on the D string. I avoid the far end of the fretboard anyway because I'm basically lazy and don't like the stretches. Got a five-string so I can move everything up a few frets and over one string. :smug:
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You can do this without having a fifth string: tune yer four-banger B-E-A-D!
  14. YEAH! blue oyster cult on SNL right? :bassist:
  15. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I have a 57 P reissue and bought Fatfinger because the G seemed to disappear (my teacher calls frettign the string the Dead C).
    I think it works. I didnt A-B it, really. But it seems to work through the amp, even with out it. Maybe it's pyschological but im keeping it.
  16. Yes, that's the way to go IMO.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup , there was just a thread to give ya the link in OT actually.

'I GOTTA have that Cowbell, baby'
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003

Funny you should mention that. I use 40 - 95's on my 4 banger and the G string is so strong and loud. Especially when slapping/pooping or whatever you wanna call it. Maybe I just got lucky, you know, good pick ups, killer bass, etc...