1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thin the herd?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After a year, it is obvious to me that the two I own that work best for me are my Pedulla Pentabuzz and my Lakland DJ5. My TMB605 is a great bass, especially at it’s sub $600 price point, but anytime I have to choose between a Jazz and a PJ, I will take a Jazz. The 605 is a great backup or change of pace, but there is no way it can knock my DJ5 out of its number one spot. I don’t need to let it go, but I could. It feels weird for me to going into three years with a number one bass, at least a number one fretless.
    It goes without saying that nothing comes close to my Pedulla as my number one fretless.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I know exactly what you mean Dr. I too recently thinned the heard . I let go of my P bass and my Sire V7 Vintage .
    I’m down to 2 basses that work best for me. My Caprice and my Elite Jazz V. I don’t like the idea of having basses around that wouldn’t get that much attention or taken out of the house.
    Sometimes less is more. I prefer to concentrate on these 2 keepers and improve my playing .
    Sounds like you are content with your DJ5 and your Pedulla. That’s a great feeling!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

I'm a bass hoarder. I want them all. More basses, give em' to me baby! Thin the herd? I say thicken the herd....:D

barginkov, Puma, danesdad and 22 others like this.
  5. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Why remove a piece from an already good foundation?

It's going to leave a void and vacuum to fill. You will get to a point where a cheaper bass will be useful. Unless I was going to replace it with something better, I would let it be.

Dr. Cheese and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm trying to make all of mine play like one or two...when they all play the same = i'll cut back to one. ha!

seriously, i'm of a mind where: if you have depended on an instrument long enough, and if you have enjoyed the experience = it's all you need, and you know it!

hey doc: good luck with your "thin the herd?" thing! don't wear yourself out! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Lakland huh. The more I see and hear about them the more I want to expand my herd. Have half a dozen basses, half of them are P’s but no Lakland.

If it ain’t broke.....

Pbassmanca and Dr. Cheese like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, I am very happy with my Pedulla and Lakland. Getting that SWR combo has been great too; it actually sounds better than the MarkBass combo I used to have.

I don’t feel I have to get rid of something, but it’s good know that what I have is working for me.

scuzzy, wmmj and lowdownthump like this.
  9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My measure is “how easy is it to replace?”. I have 7 basses (plus 3 that my younger son appears to have lost interest in). If I had to downsize, it would be difficult, because none of my 7 are easy to replace. A few are likely impossible to replace (Alembics, Marchlewski). Not sure how easy it is to replace a TMB605, but maybe you should consider that in your herd thinning consideration.

edumamare, Pbassmanca and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am a Lakland fan. American Lakland are sweet boutique grade basses. Lakland Skylines are fine factory basses.

11. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Bought a TMB for $175 because if I play somewhere sketchy, it can be replaced for $200. Just traded it for a Hartke Hydrive 112 Combo.

May get another because it's only $200 to replace it if....

TheReceder and Pbassmanca like this.
  12. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Reasons to sell a bass:

1. Financial reasons
    2. Dislike of the bass
    3. G.A.S. attack

All other reasons are a variation of one of these 3. So which one is it for you @Dr. Cheese ?? Why thin the herd?

I recently sold 2 basses for reason #3. It was a great decision.

mikewalker, Rumbledore and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I am also thinking of letting one go - my SledgeHammer 5. I’ve had it for 10 years and my tastes have kind of moved on from that style of bass...I absolutely love a Jazz V and have three of them (one fretless; the best fretless I’ve owned in years)...

14. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm considering posting my Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub for sale as I've felt drawn to the Jazz sound, and I've spent so much $ on gear in the last few months. I've changed my tastes as a player and dealing with wife agro is a reality. But I'd be parting with without question the nicest single bass I have....... Tis a quandary...

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just don’t it need except as a backup.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. I think every bass player who’s in a band that plays gigs for money should have a backup bass. But beyond that if you aren’t playing it sell it.

wmmj and lowdownthump like this.
  17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Three basses?

That's not a herd. This is a herd.
    DSC06922.

18. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I've been clearing out. Be it a cliche but it's just money sitting around that can be used for more gas

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Lately Ive been thinning the herd, so i can grow a herd of Roscoes! :laugh:

20. Do you use it?
    Can you replace it with something similar or better?