Things bassist hate.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by yaboiimizz, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaboiimizz

yaboiimizz

Apr 28, 2010
    So i dunno if theres been a thread like this before, but there was one over on UG so i thought id bring one here.

Pretty simple what do you hate as a bassist, i'll start:

Cost of strings
    People thinking bass is easy
    gui****s
    Sound guys

Ok go..

2. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
    The sound guy will be your friend as soon as you understand that what you hear onstage has nothing to do with how it sounds 'in the room' and relinquish control of that to him/her.

People thinking that bass is easy, +1.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    the local university is offering an informal Beginner Bass class. It's taught by a gui****. This makes me want to punch people in the face.

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    People thinking a Sansamp or any DI for that matter is an acceptable way to do my bass sound live. If I wanted to sound like garbage I'd buy garbage gear!

5. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    when the keyboard player starts playing bass synth in the middle of a song :rollno:

6. DenisKrestsov

DenisKrestsov

May 4, 2010
    People thinking bass is easy for sure, also the lack of bass knowledge at my local music store, every single person there plays guitar and doesnt know anything about bass

7. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Drummers that overplay, yet can't hold a simple 4/4 to a metronome:spit:

8. pclarkbassman

pclarkbassman

Mar 8, 2008
    Utah
    as a bassist, I hate it when upper strings compare bass technique to cello technique and say it's the same. I also hate it when I'm carrying my bass and people say "I bet you wish now that you picked the flute!"

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    gene simmons...

10. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    the weird trend in modern rock music where the bass seems to be all low end (maybe a massive mid scoop I'm not sure) but every time I listen to modern hard rock music a lot of it just seems like low bass and nothing else

11. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    IEM's without any bass response, and click tracks (that i don't need !!!!!!)

12. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    If it makes sence. Looking over at the drummer stairing at me grinning ear to ear. Then looking towards the insecure lead gutiar stairing at me with the look of death.
    The main reason I have never done much other than open mike nites.

13. bassguitar808

bassguitar808

Jul 9, 2010
    drummers that speed up or slow down noticeably in a song

drummers that play every song at the same tempo the whole set

gui****s that dont know an E chord, or what you meant by the song is not in any key
    (I love atonal music, but you have to know the rules to break them)

the weight of my bass rig, but big speakers are heavy, and push more air

All Local Bands in the following varieties; Indie Bands, Punk Bands, Hardcore Bands, Cover Bands, Classic Rock Bands, Metal Bands, Tex Mex Polka Music Bands, Screamo Bands, anyone in the "Noise Scene"

95% of the Coachella Lineup

Most EHX + Boss Pedals

None of the local music stores carry Tomastik Strings

When other bass players just phone it in (also when whole bands phone it in)

Giant Bass Rig not fitting in your car, and / or ripping your seat upholstery to shreds

the smell of clubs when you are soundchecking / loading in

the smell of practice spaces / tour van / bus / tiny car with ripped upholstery

the smell of your vintage bass' case which was a nest for the previous owners ferrets

driving through the midwest or the south

the band not wanting to pull over for bathroom breaks, insisting thats what gatorade bottles are for...

14. WOW, aren't you picky. :D

15. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Most original bands start off at the local level. Do you just not like these genres?

16. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    +1 for that... It has always bothered me that while guitarists can walk away with a fresh set of strings for $5, we have to pay $20+ for a new set.

Another huge one for me is when people call my instrument a guitar, or when they say I play the guitar. Yes, I know that many non-musical people may not know the difference, but it bothers me to this day, simply because I'm being miscredited.

Also, this one is more regional and personal, but the Guitar Center closest to me has a wall of hundreds of guitars, beautiful ones, cruddy ones, top-of-the-line ones, and beginner ones, but the bass room has no more than about 20 basses. There is little to no selection and every time I go there it's the same instruments that no one wants to buy because none of them hold interest.

Lastly, this goes out to a lot of musicians, bassists and gui****s alike. I primarily play with a pick, due to personal preference and the way I like my bass to sound. I know how to use my fingers, I can play that way as well as the next bassist, but I get made fun of and treated as a bad player because of my playing style. I don't understand why it's so bad and looked down upon to use a pick. They tell me that basses are not meant to be played with a pick, and that they're meant to be played with fingers, and that picking takes no skill. I play how i feel like playing, and it should not concern anyone else.

lol that last one kinda turned into a rant... but its just how I feel about that

Jesse Hoskins likes this.
  17. shizoz

shizoz

Mar 18, 2010
    NW Arkansas
    A drummer that plays his kick drum like he's auditioning for the Dave Mathews Band... For every song...

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Cost of strings... Kids who played guitar hero and say I beat guitar hero on expert I bet im a better bass player then you... How guitarists complain about how much their gear weighs when i know my 1x15 weighs way more then their cab.

19. Socalef9

Socalef9

May 16, 2009
    Haha, seriously, my guitar player is always complaining he has to haul around his AC-30, then i asked him to pickup my trace elliot head in a roadcase for me. No more complaining from him

20. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Snakes. I hate snakes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.