1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Think Twice before drinking water!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 9, 2008.

1. If anyone has been through a hospice situation you know that when the sad event comes, the first thing the hospice nurse does is inventory and DUMP all the meds used right down the crapper. Meds used for pain management by hospice are pretty hard-core narcotics and the quantities that end up getting flushed can be quite large.

All I could think as I watched the nurse flush 'em was, "Man, there are gonna be some trippin' fishies in the Missouri River tonight!"

2. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    The FDA has already changed it's stance on this practice in light of these stories about contaminated tap water.. Originally the FDA told everone to flush old prescription drugs, now they want everyone to throw them in the trash.

3. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken

Are you suggesting that evolution is a scientific advancement?

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    For a moment I though this thread was about a recent huge water scandal in Nokia, a town outside Tampere here in Finland. A guy at a wastewater treatment plant managed to connect the poop water with the drinking water, resulting in that thousands of people got sick.

For more information, read: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,527057,00.html

5. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    Very subtle :smug:

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    this is your brain on water. Fried_egg,_sunny_side_up.

perfect with a side of toast.

imo, i prefer my water with drugs and without poo.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I prefer drinking water while pooing on drugs. Call me weird that way. :ninja::bag:

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    weirdo.

....mmmm, drug poo....

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Link is here (pretty gross). Probably works by inducing hypoxia, due to breathing the methane and hydrogen sulfide 'sewer gas.'

And yeah, as far as wells..... we have this thing called the hydrologic cycle.....what's in the ground now had to come from somewhere, even if your well source zone is 500 feet down underground in a confined aquifer... If you're hydraulically down-gradient of a leaking gas station or old industrial plant, you're at risk of having stuff in your drinking water.

For that matter, how far is your well from your own septic system, or your neighbor's? You could be drinking someone's Thanksgiving dinner on Christmas morning.

Worst-case scenario-- Montebello, CA, a pesticide manufacturer was cleaning house and rinsed his floor off, and within three weeks eleven municipal water supply wells were contaminated; they were finding that stuff fifteen MILES from the source.

10. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I wouldn't recommend it.

11. let me just say a couple things FYI...

your drinking water has a chlorine residual between 0.2 mg/L and 1.0 mg/L. thats 1 part per MILLION. it is used as a disinfectant, while you are also ingesting parts per BILLION and TRILLION, which are so insignificant its not funny.

to the well water people, you probably also have septic tanks, guess where your well water comes from. even if you have sewer hook ups, a water treatment plant treats the same water BEFORE it gets to your tap. so which would you want?

to those that drink bottled water, guess what... its the same treatment with addition unnecessary filtration. you should still drink bottled over tap, though due to your aging/crumbling infrastructure.

and finally the wastewater plants... if only the public knew that theyre drinking treated waste. the amount of water we have on earth is the same as it was ages ago. it is a cycle. a wastewater treatment plant just speeds up the natural decomposition to be returned to the water table. the problem of todays water issues is that there are too many people on earth to sustain that same amount of water. the way we live WILL eventually kill us with pollution, but not in our lifetimes, relax.

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    RO is still the way to go

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Jenkem

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Saskatchewan
    I lol'd. Hard :D

15. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Did anyone else notice that San Francisco was the one they found "sex hormones" in? Probably all the confused individuals injecting themselves with testosterone or estrogen to make them into man-women or woman-men

16. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    Forget the drugs and poop, how about all of the fish having sex in my water?

17. Sigged.

18. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Well, I don't really agree on all this, but it depends on where you live I suppose... The same water companies handle both wastewater and tap water, and both are treated chemically and/or biologically, but the wastewater is not lead into the tap water after it has been cleaned.

I guess the tap water quality differs from country to country and even from town to town, but at least here in Scandinavia, the tap water is generally considered by experts to be of better quality than the bottled water. The tap water here contains significantly smaller amounts of bacterias than bottled water, and it does not contain significant amounts of chlorine either, if any. When I was in Toronto couple of years back, I noticed how the water smelled like chlorine. I have never have experienced that here, in Sweden or in Denmark...

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    At least in Tampa Bay, the tap water isn't suitable for drinking at all. First, it tastes like CRAP, second, it IS crap.

Of course, we have Zephyrhills bottled water all over here, ironically that stuff tastes just like tap water -- surprised?

20. tampa water is fine to drink. if it wasnt, you would not have it. FDEP is not easy to please, especially if your major metropolis drinking water standards are not met. also i think they have 6 to 8 different plants, including a desal plant, an up and coming solution to high water demand. i believe this plant draws from the hillsborough bay, the same body of water the wastewater plant discharges into.