1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Think Twice before drinking water!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 9, 2008.

1. I wonder how the drugs levels stack up against the lead and fluoride levels in water.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Most bottled water is tap water.

3. But...but...it's designer water!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

And Evian spelled sdrawkcab...

5. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Explains moobs...doesn't it?

6. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.

What excuse do Canadians have?

7. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    The brita filters work pretty good I notice a change in the water right away.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Old news. I've been giving a public discourse about science for four or five years now. One of the topics I cover is the negative impacts of scientific advancement. I dug up an FDA report that detailed all of the drugs, medicines, and chemicals in water. The article also talked about a new breed of super germs that would be immune to the medicines we have to treat them.

-Mike

9. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Distilled water here if I can not get to Reverse Osmosis.
    Most bottled water is non-filtered tap water LOL.

10. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA

"super Viruses" have shown up in hospitals. The theory is that the sterile environments makes the viruses adapt and become much stronger. People have died from this virus after going in for a routine operation.

Really, can't everyone easily see that we are ruining the place we live? Most technology is proven to have harmful side effects about 1 generation after it's invented.

I don't like to use all sweeping generalizations, and sometimes the following thought does not apply but...

Convenience seems to have a high price.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Anyone who's seen terminator knows that.:smug:

12. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    this isn't really a new problem-- there's been a number of media articles on it in the last ten years, and any number of professional publications. FWIW, I'm an environmental scientist who spends a lot of time on groundwater contamination problems, and this is sort of my bailiwick. There's really no definitive data on the potential harmful effects of pharmaceuticals in drinking water yet-- Big Pharma has pretty consistently blocked any serious attempt to evaluate it in the same way that certain industrial combines have managed to lobby the EPA into hanging onto seriously outdated carcinogen standards for a few nasty things.

The basic thing is, drugs go in one end of people and out the other, into the sewers or septic, and from there into the environment-- neither septic systems nor most municipal treatment works in the US do much to address pharmaceuticals, because in the case of the municipal plants they were generally designed to control bacteria/germs, biosolids (poop) and industrial/commercial waste, so the filtering and treatment process was never designed to address pharmaceuticals. Prior to the 60s, most sewage was untreated and just went right into rivers.

Just because you have a private well does not mean you aren't getting this stuff anyways;) In fact, if the stuff is ambient in the groundwater near you, you're probably going to get more of it because your well likely doesn't have municipal-grade filters and chlorination. FWIW, many plastic water bottles are not made out of food-grade plastic anyhow, and have the potential to leach phthalates into your Aquafina. I'm not kidding-- one of the people I work with used bottled water for trip blanks for some groundwater samples and the blanks came back full of bis (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate.

You could try a Brita, but those things are just activated charcoal anyhow, nothing special.

13. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I have RO at the house...you could too if you are really woried.

14. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    If you go back far enough, that burger you ate the other day used to be someone's or something's waste... cow makes a pie on the ground, no one cleans it, eventually it decomposes and grass grows over it, later another cow eats the grass, then it becomes part of the cow, the cow is slautered and viola! you are eating cow poop. Another note: non-filtered well water has potential for so much more contamination...

ew. Someone already said it, but the plastic they use for those bottles is very low grade and can leak contaminants into the water. I use a brita filter, my water tastes great!! :D

Some bottled waters are just tap-water.

There is a new "drug" out there called winnie (don't know how it is supposed to be spelled, but it is pronounced like that pooh bear.) What people do is put their urine and other waste in a bottle or some container that will stay shut, and leave it out in the sun to ferment for a few days. then they breathe that stuff in... supposed to be a really good high I guess... sounds utterly disgusting to me...

I heard about this through the grapevine, from a friend whose dad is a copper and I guess has heard stories about this from cop friends...

15. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Just out of curiosity, why is it that you think that well water was not once someone's waste? Are you so certain that no-one upgradient of you has a septic system?

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats it. I'm drinking rain water!

17. That is unless you happen to live in a home with a shallow well close to a septic system. You would be surprised how common this is with older homes and before there were standards. YUCK!!!

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I can't believe no one else commented on this vid. This is so wrong it's hilarious.

On a more serious note, sometimes it's best not to clean your glasses otherwise you might see what your missing. These devices that are so sensitive that they detect these minute traces of this stuff is just opening our eyes to what we've been blissfully ignorant. Just because we have the technology to go to the moon doesn't mean we shouldn't just fly to Hawaii instead.

19. peawar

peawar

Sep 20, 2007
    North Carolina
    go hump a dead moose, canuck!

im kidding..

20. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Back bacon and moose lip omlets.