1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Think we need a club! Bass Player Couples.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by audreycashin, Jan 12, 2012.

1. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    Bass Player Couples.....are you out there? are you both on TB? Tell us your stories!
    I didn't play when I met my significant other......but would go watch him at a friends private jam for students of his......i was the GF who brought a grill and made hot dogs at the break, and would be quietly on the couch looking up adoringly.....couple two three times i would look up and think to myself...well hell I can do THAT! Fast forward almost five years later? I have worse GAS than he does, and found out that hell, it ain't as easy as it looks! :bassist:

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My wife plays the piano, so technically she plays the bass with only one hand. Better than I can do...

twinjet likes this.
  3. jvanick

jvanick

Mar 8, 2010
    Cary, IL
    My girlfriend used to play bass and drums.. now she plays the bass lines in the bell choir.

does that count?

4. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I taught my girlfriend the basics a couple of years ago and she just kind of ran with it. I'm glad, too, because I'm not a good teacher. She started with learning songs she likes and now she's writing her own stuff and playing in a just-for-fun band with a couple of her friends.

I also play guitar, so sometimes we'd freestyle together with me playing along to her groove and I really think the bulk of my "teaching" was simply doing that.

5. My GF likes to strum away when I set my bass down. I've been trying to get her to buy a beginner bass or use my 5er, but she hasn't given in. Yet.

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    My girly plays bass and is a member on here. I play guitar at church and she plays bass, so we get to jam together almost every week. Oh and in the orchestra at school I play trombone and she plays upright!:)

audreycashin likes this.
  7. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    I'm not sure I could get along with another bass player, especially if they were better than myself ;). It's kind of like having two bass players in the same band; it just doesn't work out that well (imo, of course). I tend to lean towards guitarists. :bag:

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    you know the rules: no pic, no girlfriend

:bag:

9. audreycashin

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    We're up and running!
    audreycashin #1
    matticusmania#2
    jvanick#3
    bloodhammer#5
    waffles and scotch#6 she will don't worry:smug:
    stilettoprefer#6
    pocketgroove, i'm sure many have felt your pain....

any pics of significant others with a bass? this is my honey getting his spector bass that he won at sam ash with stu spector....yes he signed it!

Attached Files:

BaileyMan likes this.
  10. Bloodhammer

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I was thinking about using this picture to start a Fassa thread, but now I don't have to!

67F842E8-orig-1.

11. audreycashin

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    awesome GF....bass doesn't suck either!;)

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Mrs. Staccato is tuning by ear in the photo (she makes a good bass face). She hasn't registered-yet on this male-dominated site! :D

Attached Files:

13. My Ex-GF played DB and piano. We met in our High school honor orchestra(She was the chair above me haha). We actually tried acouple DB duets I wrote, but unfortunatly she didn't have the drive I did for music so it kinda fizzled out. It was fun while it lasted though.

14. Bloodhammer

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Thanks!

That's actually my bass since hers was at home. She has one of these, though, so the compliment still stands!

[​IMG]

When she was shopping for her own, she asked me if she should go the cheap route for her first bass since she wouldn't feel worthy of playing something nice until she got better.

I said "That's how you get better, babe! Playing a nice instrument instead of something crappy from the pawn shop!"

15. No pics, no significant other!

16. audreycashin

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    tell her we need to represent!:hyper:

17. audreycashin

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    evil man.....that's how i got GAS:bawl:

18. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    You need couples therapy!

19. audreycashin

Mar 14, 2010
    long island, ny
    :rollno: no just more basses to play with......

Jimmy4string likes this.
  20. Bloodhammer

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    It goes back and forth. That Ibby BTB is what drove me to get my Yamaha (Seriously, I think I drooled on it a little)! After seeing that shiny red poplar top, I had to have a coffee-table-bass of my own! It drove me crazy!

Then when she first saw the Yammy the day I brought it home, I thought her eyes were trying to leap out of her head, so I've probably started the cycle over again!