1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about giving up on bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassMoley, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I've been playing bass for about a year now and Im self taught I'm 16. Hell I even play the thing upside down! I'm a drummer and been playing for 8 years. I decided to pick up bass and thought it would be something new. And hell it was. Bass was hard but I played every day of my life learning things to help me understand the instrument. In and out. It takes dedication. Any bassist or musician for that matter will tell you.hell I was even in a band before I owned my own bass haha. But I was always interested in the anatomy, what does what and how to play certain styles of music right and stay in key playing arrays of notes together. And Everything would piss me off like technique and the fact that I couldn't pluck the strings right and some days I would want to smash the thing but really it brought me closer to it. Point is life isn't going to tell you that you can't play bass. If you are truly dedicated to it. You will know. Cheers

2. jmcorn

jmcorn

Jul 4, 2012
    South Carolina
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    Sounds like you are impatient. I am too. After learning the basics for 3 months I joined our praise and worship team at church. Of course I started out playing basic root notes. That was 3.5 years ago. I am still not where I want to be by no means. Matter of fact I still think I am horrible. But I have had seasoned players comment on my playing and ask me to join them on other projects.

Point is. You are probably better than you think you are. Keep trying and don't give up.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I wish more people would just quit, and I'm not talking just bass here. Guitar, drums, singers... There are FAR too many musicians and bands in the world! If even 40% of them would just up and quit, I'd get more gigs!

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Reading your post, I'm quite happy that I wasn,t listening to music before I started, I knew nothing so I didn't have any expectation outside I just be better than I was yesterday.

Now the music I listen to, I can play it, but my music taste did evolve with my hability.

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm gonna repeat what some have saud a lot i know but i'll tell you what my experience was. When i started, i wanted to learn fast. There was no way i was gonna be a mediocre to passable player for two or three years. So what did i do? I put in the time. For the first year I did three hours a day every day, EVEN on holidays (which looking back was slightly pointless, at some point it seems your fingers and muscles need time to adapt and learn and past a certain amout of hours per day, i don't know that you get any benefits). I did learn fairly fast, but i do remember a LOT of times when i like you slapped my bass in anger. ****, let me be honest here, sometimes it actually made me cry in anger.

I wanted to be good NOW (i was 17 but felt i should have picked up an instrument years before) and i'd obsess over details. I couldn't bear that i was repeating things over and over for hours and still not always getting it right, still messing up. I'd get really angry for example if i somehow played even one bum note (years later realizing that even the best of us will sometimes do). I remember particularly obsessing over playing fluid slides. I wore my fingers out until they bled (literally, it cut through my fingers) doing slides over and over (and years later realised my action is pretty high which is probably why i found slides so hard to get right...). Never before or since since have i ever met anyone who had hard skin on their fingers as thick as i did then, i had the permanent imprint of strings on my fingers, deep grooves that required me to line up the string just right otherwise i couldnt play right, they didnt go away until i cut down my playing time to an hour a day a few years later. After a year i had cut down to 2 hours . After a year more to 1 and then after about 5 years i stopped the daily practices..which at this point anyway weren't so much practices as just playing about an hour worth of songs i liked along to records.

My point is learning any instrument for anyone can be very frustrating (and sometimes painful) and long and time consuming especially when like me you just don't want to wait years before you're good enough for a band and shows (ironically i wouldn't be in a band for 5 years by which point i was beyond ripe for live performance..not having played in a band for so long was detrimental because for one, turns out i was a much better player than i gave myself credit for, people couldn't believe i had no stage experience and had never been in a band...)

There are some things that just take a while to assimilate, you do have to be content sometimes in not being quite the player you really want to be (in fact you might never completely be the player you wanted to be). I was lucky that the music i actually want to really play isn't that hard on a technical level (though i pushed myself further just cause i could), for sure if your idols are very technical players or absolute virtuosos (I don't know Morbid Angel other than by name but it seems its rather technical from wat i read), you're in for a few years of disappointment, sometimes a lifetime if you're trying to perfectly emulate them. But that doesn't mean you should give up. If you're serious about your instrument, your brain and muscles should follow at some point. But you got to put in the time...and much more importantly...give it time. Eventually after some years the further improvements in your playing and technique will come slow and without you barely noticing, but they'll be there. One thing though you'll also learn in time, to accept your limitations. Most of us have them. Above everything else, try to have some fun. It isn't always there when you're learning, but it should be there somewhat. If it's not there at ALL then maybe playing music isn't your thing...

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Not everybody is good at everything they simply WANT to do. We all have different sets of inborn aptitudes. There are several of these aptitudes, including things like finger dexterity, rhythm, tonal and rhythm memory, and pitch discrimination and more that are required to play the bass well.

For some reason, our culture keeps telling us that we can do anything we want, and that is simply not true. If that was so, there would be a lot more Renoirs and Einstiens and Victor Wootens and GOOD performers on American Idol. We are all simply built a little different - the key is finding out what you are built to do BEST.

If you are intent to pursue music - perhaps a different instrument would be better for you? There is nothing wrong with moving on if you REALLY are not progressing.

Reading the responses above, I know that many of you are going to dispute this, because YOU were able to teach yourself and persevere, etc. etc. However, This forum is not an indicator of the general population - it is a pre-selected sample. You are here because you have found that you are somewhat successful - how many fell out before they made it this far and never even joined a forum? You only have to look at all the beginner's bass sets for sale on CL to see all those that have tried it and quit, and it is not from lack of trying. How many really bad bass players have you seen? Just take a look at the covers on YouTube. Do you think they will get better if they practice more and take lessons? Doubtful - they already think they are good enough to post videos of themselves!

My point is that everyone is not good at everything. Don't beat yourself up if you are not good at playing bass or basketball or dong calculus in your head or oil painting. Just move on and find that thing that you are skilled at - and there is always something/

And yes - I do have 2 degrees in psychology and have studied human learning extensively.

7. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013

Half of them don't even know how to play the instrument. That's the funny part. So called musicians today in the studio these days. It's sad because the hardworking musicians are stuck playing little gigs. Hits make themselves It's all programmed.