Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about pulling the trigger...(Flea Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baofu, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Oh... I really want to impulse buy this used Modulus Flea...

Normally I would be able to resist its charms, but the price ($999), combined with the fact that it has a lane poor(!), has made me go crazy. It's a black '96, 9.5 condition.

I REALLY should spend the money on upgrading my rig to something meant for a band enviroment, but I'm about 50/50 right now.

I think that if it had a purple flake finish, there would be no hesitation on my part.

Well, I should ask, anyone have any opinions, either on the bass or the bass vs. rig conflict?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I understand. If I had an opertunity to buy that bass, and I had the cash - I'm sure I'd buy it, even if I needed other gear more. If it was sparkle blue with the Lane Poor, I'd sell a kidney to buy it!

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well you really need both. So I don't see why you shouldn't get 1/2 of the equation now. As long as you have a decent amp, and where you play has a PA it shouldn't matter. Not to mention that's just a ridiculous deal.

4. These things go for over $3000 now. That one is selling for a third of that, and if it is in as good condition as you say, with the LP pup...damn man, it's even black, I love black guitars/basses.

5. $900 is a good price, but seeing as how one of these with a blue flake finish and lane poor pickup (and an aguilar OBP-3 preamp) recently sold on TB for $1050 shipped, i would not do a backflip or sacrifice your long-term plan for it.

i have had this lesson taught to me several times over in the last six months. i sold my only amp in october in order to buy a drum kit. i got bad GAS for an amp in december and almost bought about four different nemesis 210 combos for $350, which is a good price. also, i decided it was time for me to get a bass, too, after i got an amp.

since then i've been able to sell a couple pieces of gear and save cash (as well as get lucky with some other funds) and have bought my dream rig -- a bergantino HT-112 (used with cover for $425), a warwick quadruplet preamp (used $450), a crest pro 7200 power amp (exceptionally cheap), and a peavey cirrus 4 bxp (also exceptionally cheap). the preamp and cabinet were not incredible deals, true, but they were exactly what i wanted. had i bought any of the nemesis 210 combos or any of the several basses that floated by in my budget, i would not have all the pieces of gear i've listed. i'd also still have GAS for them, but no money and gear that isn't exactly what i want.

i guess the summary is that cash is hard for everybody to come by, and if i had spent it as it came in, i wouldn't have my dream rig -- i'd just have another rig. sure, i still want a reverend bass or some sort of nice PJ, i'd like a custom bass, and i could always use an EX-112, but that's later. i have the patience to buy what i need first, and what i want later. i would go broke if i found a way to get everything i saw at a pretty good price.

robb.