Thinking about pulling the trigger...(Flea Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baofu, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Oh... I really want to impulse buy this used Modulus Flea...

Normally I would be able to resist its charms, but the price ($999), combined with the fact that it has a lane poor(!), has made me go crazy. It's a black '96, 9.5 condition.

I REALLY should spend the money on upgrading my rig to something meant for a band enviroment, but I'm about 50/50 right now.

I think that if it had a purple flake finish, there would be no hesitation on my part.

Well, I should ask, anyone have any opinions, either on the bass or the bass vs. rig conflict?
  2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I understand. If I had an opertunity to buy that bass, and I had the cash - I'm sure I'd buy it, even if I needed other gear more. If it was sparkle blue with the Lane Poor, I'd sell a kidney to buy it!
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well you really need both. So I don't see why you shouldn't get 1/2 of the equation now. As long as you have a decent amp, and where you play has a PA it shouldn't matter. Not to mention that's just a ridiculous deal.
  4. These things go for over $3000 now. That one is selling for a third of that, and if it is in as good condition as you say, with the LP pup...damn man, it's even black, I love black guitars/basses.
  5. $900 is a good price, but seeing as how one of these with a blue flake finish and lane poor pickup (and an aguilar OBP-3 preamp) recently sold on TB for $1050 shipped, i would not do a backflip or sacrifice your long-term plan for it.

i have had this lesson taught to me several times over in the last six months. i sold my only amp in october in order to buy a drum kit. i got bad GAS for an amp in december and almost bought about four different nemesis 210 combos for $350, which is a good price. also, i decided it was time for me to get a bass, too, after i got an amp.

since then i've been able to sell a couple pieces of gear and save cash (as well as get lucky with some other funds) and have bought my dream rig -- a bergantino HT-112 (used with cover for $425), a warwick quadruplet preamp (used $450), a crest pro 7200 power amp (exceptionally cheap), and a peavey cirrus 4 bxp (also exceptionally cheap). the preamp and cabinet were not incredible deals, true, but they were exactly what i wanted. had i bought any of the nemesis 210 combos or any of the several basses that floated by in my budget, i would not have all the pieces of gear i've listed. i'd also still have GAS for them, but no money and gear that isn't exactly what i want.

i guess the summary is that cash is hard for everybody to come by, and if i had spent it as it came in, i wouldn't have my dream rig -- i'd just have another rig. sure, i still want a reverend bass or some sort of nice PJ, i'd like a custom bass, and i could always use an EX-112, but that's later. i have the patience to buy what i need first, and what i want later. i would go broke if i found a way to get everything i saw at a pretty good price.